Author Topic: November 2018  (Read 76775 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
November 2018
« on: October 31, 2018, 20:52:01 »
Post your "blog" contributions here.

No theme (other than what the passage of time creates), no contest implied, a maximum of one picture per day in the actual month and no more than 4 images per month for NG members, up to 30 for Supporters. You can distribute the contributions as once per week if you so prefer.

The posted picture(s) must be taken within the designated time period

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: November 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:43:38 »
November 1

Let the sunshine in,
solarpanelling the house.

D850  28-300mm f/3.5-5.6vr

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:54:57 »
November 1.  Dusk of dragon's fire.  D750 with 50/1.8G, needless to say.   :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 13:11:22 »
Good luck with your panels Fons.  I put in a 5kW system here in Melbourne five years ago.  With Australia's now privatised electricity system and our soaring electricity prices, my panels have long since paid themselves off.  May put in batteries if battery prices fall as sharply as the panel prices have.

November 1

Let the sunshine in,
solarpanelling the house.

D850  28-300mm f/3.5-5.6vr

EDIT:  It was November 2012 that mine went in, so it was six years ago.
Hugh Gunn

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 13:43:51 »
Good luck with your panels Fons.  I put in a 5kW system here in Melbourne five years ago.  With Australia's now privatised electricity system and our soaring electricity prices, my panels have long since paid themselves off.  May put in batteries if battery prices fall as sharply as the panel prices have.

Our installation will deliver electricity at present consumption, but expected break-even point on the investment will be more than 5 years calculated at the current price level.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 13:53:11 »
today by the river. the concrete structure in the back is being demolished. I hope to take the same perspective in a few years with the next building at the site
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 14:54:40 »
May put in batteries if battery prices fall as sharply as the panel prices have.

The panel prices went down worldwide because of Angela Merkel. For us Germans it was a pricey investment because we do not have a lot of sun in our country. We started early and financed all R&D with tax payers money and with our electricity bills. All in all the state subsidies for the inefficient sun & wind strategy in sun & wind poor Germany are planned to sum up to 2000 Billion Euros. The world can thank or curse Merkel for bringing the prices of Wind & Solar converters down. In wind & sun rich countries the profits will be high.

For Germany the added cost for electricity will be a burden for decades. For 2000 Billion we could have build 1000 big Nuclear Power Stations to Power the whole of Europe Carbon free. I would prefer Thousands of small local Thorium Power Stations of course.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 19:07:41 »
Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 on a Full Frame at 10mm

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 05:03:50 »
Platt Park
Southbury, CT

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 07:53:48 »
Yes Frank, I agree with you. 

The nuclear option is an inconvenient truth that the politicians and policy makers seem to steadfastly ignore.  But what would I know about the nuclear option - only did a PhD in Physics and worked for an electricity utility for 17 years - apparently if I had studied politics and joined some ratbag political party I may have learnt all of the answers to this one and similar issues!  ::)

The panel prices went down worldwide because of Angela Merkel. For us Germans it was a pricey investment because we do not have a lot of sun in our country. We started early and financed all R&D with tax payers money and with our electricity bills. All in all the state subsidies for the inefficient sun & wind strategy in sun & wind poor Germany are planned to sum up to 2000 Billion Euros. The world can thank or curse Merkel for bringing the prices of Wind & Solar converters down. In wind & sun rich countries the profits will be high.

For Germany the added cost for electricity will be a burden for decades. For 2000 Billion we could have build 1000 big Nuclear Power Stations to Power the whole of Europe Carbon free. I would prefer Thousands of small local Thorium Power Stations of course.
Hugh Gunn

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 08:12:22 »
May i remind you of for instance Chernobyl or Fukushima fatal errors were made by men.
We need to use less not more energy, in this case, while this applies to all of human life under worldly conditions. Just an observation on my part.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 09:49:36 »
Mornin' Sun

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 10:53:31 »
May i remind you of for instance Chernobyl or Fukushima fatal errors were made by men.
We need to use less not more energy, in this case, while this applies to all of human life under worldly conditions. Just an observation on my part.

Tchernobyl was sabotage and we still do not know who was behind it. Tchernobyl type reactors should long be of the grid. Same goes for Fukushima, although in this case it seems to have been a fatal management error. Same goes for most reactors in India.

All these are good arguments to build better nuclear power stations and switch off the dangerous ones. Nobody died in Fukushima. 25.000 died in an Erthquake with Tsunami. Emotionally they all have been killed by Nuclear Power.

Every year 70 Million people die of air pollution caused by coal, wood, gas and oil fires. Burning fossil fuels potentially kills billions of people if we do not start to suck down CO2 from the atmosphere using photosynthesis and binding the results for a very long time (which is how fossil fuel was made in the first place):

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 10:58:43 »
A small tangential note and sigh from the NG Crew: please, do remember NG is about photography, not about politics etc.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 15:02:57 »

Portimão - Algarve, Portugal
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν