Author Topic: Roger Cicala dis-assembles a Z7  (Read 2041 times)

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Roger Cicala dis-assembles a Z7
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:34 »
as expected from Nikon :o :o :o

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:40 »
There IS a room for the 2 SD slots. Looks like the only problem is a speed of the main chip. Time will tell. LZ

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:08 »
There IS a room for the 2 SD slots. Looks like the only problem is a speed of the main chip. Time will tell. LZ

How is that possible? The card slot inside part takes up most of the up-down dimension of the PC board it is mounted on. Maybe stacked but that might require a thicker body.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 09:20:59 »
Very nice work and a very tightly designed layout indeed
Weather sealing is indeed excellent!
What I dislike is the spring pre-tension of the sensor assembly, last image, if it is indeed the sensor alignment that is made adjustable for calibration I don't like it, should be with shims like the current DSLR cameras... Only way to make safe it doesn't shift.
I also dislike how the sensor plane is moved to the front of the camera housing, makes the whole contraption really fat with a FTZ adapter mounted, the finder sticking out just adds to the bulky look and feel.
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 09:24:20 »
How is that possible? The card slot inside part takes up most of the up-down dimension of the PC board it is mounted on. Maybe stacked but that might require a thicker body.
This is very difficult to tell i agree, but surely possible, making a cutout in the board could be an option,,,
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:25 »
--
I also dislike how the sensor plane is moved to the front of the camera housing, makes the whole contraption really fat with a FTZ adapter mounted, the finder sticking out just adds to the bulky look and feel.

That's the price to be paid for not having the folded pathway of a mirror box ...

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 09:37:48 »
This is very difficult to tell i agree, but surely possible, making a cutout in the board could be an option,,,
Indeed. The right side of the board, especially. Few only elements need to be relocated. But speed of the chip is not sufficient enough, so far. The next generation of the camera will be 2-slotted, out of questions. LZ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 09:48:34 »
I agree fully  8)
Erik Lund