Author Topic: nikkor 65mm f/4 shutter?  (Read 2694 times)

CardBoardBoxProcessor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
nikkor 65mm f/4 shutter?
« on: October 29, 2018, 19:01:45 »
I got a damaged front and back lens group for a Nikon 65mm f/4 Large format lens for almost nothing at all.  I have a well dialed in 3D printer so I anything is possible and think it'd be fun to find a way to mount I my DSLR to it in away that does tilt/shift operations. 

I don't know anything about these lenses other than Copal is some sort of standard, but then also maybe not.  Looking for someone to spoon feed me to the shutter/copal/aperture I need to make this lens whole again.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: nikkor 65mm f/4 shutter?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 20:27:55 »
It uses a Copal 0 shutter with apertures from f/4 to f/32.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 22:26:38 »
Flange focal length is 70mm and the lens is 67mm.

Based on the image here:
https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/discontinued/nikkor-lenses/2007/65mm-f-4-0-sw-large-format-sw-series-lens#tech_specs
I'd guess that the rear element projects about 25 mm or so.

With a registration distance of 46.5 mm for F mount it looks like you will have a very difficult time mounting with any amount of movement possible.

Suggest you look at adapting to Z mount instead as that will give you room to fit some sort of mount/adapter in place.

CardBoardBoxProcessor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 03:49:42 »
Ah is that how the focal length flange distance is measured. I was curious.
For $25 I figured why not.
I'll save it for when I get a Z Series then for sure

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:04 »
Flange focal length is 70mm and the lens is 67mm.

Based on the image here:
https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/discontinued/nikkor-lenses/2007/65mm-f-4-0-sw-large-format-sw-series-lens#tech_specs
I'd guess that the rear element projects about 25 mm or so.

With a registration distance of 46.5 mm for F mount it looks like you will have a very difficult time mounting with any amount of movement possible.

Suggest you look at adapting to Z mount instead as that will give you room to fit some sort of mount/adapter in place.
Maybe not guess but look at a drawing ;)

Erik Lund

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 16:35:29 »
Maybe not guess but look at a drawing ;)

Eric,

I did not have a diagram at hand, but am glad to see that my guess of 25mm was correct!

Cardboard, Flange focal length is measured from front of lens board/back of shutter. If you are using on a digital camera with its own shutter you can find a broken shutter to mount in as long as aperture works.

CardBoardBoxProcessor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 16:17:23 »
I am not sure what I am looking at exactly lol.
It seems to be it would not be able to focus on F mount.

Can;t you take two 50mm lenses and make a relay lens to project the focused image farther?  Of course that would be pointless in this application.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 16:41:32 »
A possible but not very meaningful exercise (using relay lenses).

The fundamental problem here is not the register distance which is sufficient, but the optical design being that of a super wide-angle lens with oversized rear elements.Thus there is no way you can push it into the throat of an F camera.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 17:34:17 »
A possible but not very meaningful exercise (using relay lenses).

The fundamental problem here is not the register distance which is sufficient, but the optical design being that of a super wide-angle lens with oversized rear elements.Thus there is no way you can push it into the throat of an F camera.

Since it was only $25, it would not be a huge loss to try and mill off part of the rear lip. It extends as far as it does primarily to protect the rear element. That could reduce the diameter a bit, but even with that, you won't have much opportunity for movement on an F mount. Z mount would give you many more options.

CardBoardBoxProcessor

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 00:16:46 »
Ill convert to Z mount someday. I decided to wait. still haunted by the Nikon 1 Being abandoned. I very much liked it.