Author Topic: Lyman-Alpha II Experimental f1.1/90mm mirror lens  (Read 9541 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Lyman-Alpha II Experimental f1.1/90mm mirror lens
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2018, 20:48:08 »
Now that I've seen amazing images shot with the m4/3 camera, my interest has been shifted to the original purpose of the lens.

Apparently, it has a very tiny image circle, it one looks at it as an image making lens.  Is it designed for a tiny sensor, or purely for the "detection" of the 121nm spectrum coming from the deep space?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2018, 17:26:21 »
Now that I've seen amazing images shot with the m4/3 camera, my interest has been shifted to the original purpose of the lens.

Apparently, it has a very tiny image circle, it one looks at it as an image making lens.  Is it designed for a tiny sensor, or purely for the "detection" of the 121nm spectrum coming from the deep space?

It was designed to be used not just for a tiny sensor, it was advertized and sold for 24x36mm full format cameras AND image intensifiers with 25mm image diameter (mft has 24mm), so since I used it on a mft camera, it is very close to what it was once made for.

It was not JUST made for the 121nm Hydrogen line, but to ALSO be able to image in deep UV, so it reaches actually very far into UV (as per the makers ads). For me I only use it in the 300-700nm range...
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2018, 18:47:30 »
It was designed to be used not just for a tiny sensor, it was advertized and sold for 24x36mm full format cameras AND image intensifiers with 25mm image diameter (mft has 24mm), so since I used it on a mft camera, it is very close to what it was once made for.

It was not JUST made for the 121nm Hydrogen line, but to ALSO be able to image in deep UV, so it reaches actually very far into UV (as per the makers ads). For me I only use it in the 300-700nm range...

Thank you for the detail, Klaus.  So, by its design, the image intensifier should be placed so close to the lens that it is impossible even on a mirrorless camera (because of its shutter mechanism, AA filter and UV/IR cut filter)?

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 17:43:29 »
Thank you for the detail, Klaus.  So, by its design, the image intensifier should be placed so close to the lens that it is impossible even on a mirrorless camera (because of its shutter mechanism, AA filter and UV/IR cut filter)?

The back focal of these lenses is ADJUSTABLE for any given use (Image Intensifier, DSLR, mirrorless camera, ...) so it should be optimized for that. Huge benefit other lenses do not have!!
formerly known as kds315

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2018, 21:59:54 »
The back focal of these lenses is ADJUSTABLE for for any given use (Image Intensifier, DSLR, mirrorless camera, ...) so it should be optimized for that. Huge benefit other lenses do not have!!

Wow, that is amazing!