Author Topic: Nikon Z7 - 12 days of Impressions  (Read 2626 times)

chambeshi

Nikon Z7 - 12 days of Impressions
« on: October 15, 2018, 12:52:27 »
Here follow my Preliminary Observations after using the Nikon Z7 since 4th October - my personal Z-Day -  ....and with a range of lenses.

1. I won't take up space and time with generalities, mostly alerady reported far and wide, expect I can confirm these, and what these first few (credible) reviews, or rather impressions have reported. Suffice to say I really like the ergonomics of the Z7; the menu is accessible and hardly different from that in current Nikon DSLRs; the EVF is indeed truly impressive; in summary the Z7 is a Nikon true to tradition in build, finish and handling :-) The 24-70 f4Z is indeed a gem, and of ideal proportions for the Z7 kit zoom;

2. The FTZ works seamlessly with all my G and E lenses (as widely reported). This includes the 58 f1.4G, which is notoriously fickle performer. I find the optimal settings for such fast lenses are AFS + Pinpoint to exploit the +ve benefits of precision and acuity in the on-sensor AF system. The FTZ does not hold back the AF speed with the gazelles of the Nikkor world. I've tested the 300 f2.8G VRII and 400 f2.8E FL, and notably the 200 f2g VRII !! [See my following post the irksome subject of FTZ compatibility or rather gaps in compatibility AFD and AI/AIS Nikkors];

3. The AF settings are the hardest feature(s) to get to grips with. My major reasons for saying this are the Manuals do not go into details to describe how the Area-Modes not only differ, but differ from the current DSLRs (in my case D500 and D850). The AF performance does NOT match the prowess ofthe D850, speed and tracking especially. This is not surprising, and it's unrealistic to expect this (at least with current tech). OTH for most of my subjects the AF delivers.  And yes, the focus-peaking is a boon :-) When shooting an AF lens with focus-peaking enabled, turning the focus manually turns on focus-peaking. Understandably focus-peaking helps drill on to a subject obscured behind clutter (eg grass or twigs). Just make sure the AFS lens is set to M/A [not A/M] as focus-peakings kicks in more quickly (less erratic).

Recently, Thom Hogan put out his preliminary findings on the status of the Nikon Z AF. And far far better than I can hope to  ;) The man is indeed very qualified with his extensive cross-camera experience et al, and unsurpassed understanding of the Nikon AF system, and his 4+ decades of shooting action sports and wildlife. He emphasizes he’s still testing. We can look forward to his final review :
https://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/camera-database/nikon-z-mirrorless-cameras/nikon-z6z7-blog/

4. The i Menu works well and I find its benefits continue to accrue the more I shoot the Z7.  So far I identify 4 major Gaps in Customization of Z7 setup, or rather what is missing-

4a. On the Z7, you cannot assign AF-On + Focus-Mode (ie Single-Point) to a Function Button. This is a major benefit of the D500 and D850 etc for action and portraits etc.

4b. Photo and Custom Memory Banks have gone. Love 'em or hate 'em, these work very well on the D850 once you get to appreciate them. But switch off the Z7 to save battery in a session or following a subject; Switch back on a within a minute or less....U1, U2, U3 have reverted to the saved shutter-speed & aperture! I find this infuriating, and not only tracking wildlife targets where one often turns on and shoots instinctively. I have given up using the U modes after carefully configuring them. I can envisage some event and sports shooters getting incensed at this constraint. But I find a preserved custom setting really useful switching form general shooting to landscape on a tripod. Here the work around is to get near optimal exposure, then save to U* mode before switching off the Z7. Talk about defeating the object of the feature....

4d. Unlike in AFS, there is NO indicator of focus in AFC mode – weird.

5. Teleconverters. This is big +ve of the Z7 with telephotos and FTZ.  The Z7 gives my 300 PF with TC2E III a whole new lease on life!! Bottom line, TC performance still needs careful testing  of IQ but it’s already clear where we stand here with the D850 and TCs on key lenses (IME excellent, including the 300 PF and other top telephotos).
I'm pleasantly surprised the 500 f5.6E PF maintains AF with TCE2 III. Yes, at f11  ;D The IQ is not at all bad, based on my first tests. In fact, Daisy-chain a TC17 II with TC2, and the AF still works with the Z7 registering f11. But IQ drops as would be expected, considering a 2x TC increases the axial CA by 4x !

chambeshi

Re: Nikon Z7 - 12 days of Impressions
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 12:55:39 »
Conclusions to date - Hands down, the Z7 is one great Nikon camera. I’m more and more pleased I took the plunge. Selling on my D500, of relatively low mileage, was a hard decision to afford the Zed. The Z7 complements my excellent D850. I’m still keeping the Df but already the focus-peaking with the MF glass on the Z is a major advantage. But neutered EXIF data is more and more irksome with the Z7, so let’s hope Nikon listen to those of us still shooting MF.

From my few days of experience with the Z7 shooting wildlife (smaller birds mainly) the lesson is already crystal clear. The Z7 is a boon to outdoor photography, especially if you are out and about covering country; what I call Peripatetic Photography. The release of the 500 PF on the same day of the Nikon Z cameras has magnified these opportunities by long way. This is where teleconverters underscore what is now so much more possible with the minimal lens system  ;D

There is only one caveat - a Big One IMHO. If Nikon get to fix and improve on bugs & gaps etc already evident in the features of the Z7, this Z MILC will be truly superb. So, the sooner Nikon fix the Firmware the better. The current deficiencies/design glitches may keep prospective sitting on the fence; they may drive more thinking of buying into Nikon Z MILC elsewhere. Considering the recent history of tardy responses to prominent issues with certain cameras (D600) and lenses (300 PF), Nikon can no longer afford to dawdle on this urgent priority.

Nikon have put out a superb camera in their excellent new Z system. What a pity to now drop the ball  :-\ With the digital camera market changing so utterly ie very recently within the past year in FF.... maintaining customer loyalty will hinge more and more on timely and professional support. Prioritizing frequent software upgrades has become more and more pivotal.

chambeshi

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 13:04:25 »
[See my following post the irksome subject of FTZ compatibility or rather gaps in compatibility AFD and AI/AIS Nikkors]

I recall reading recently here on NG about the issue that the Z7 does NOT record the aperture setting of a MF AI/AIS Nikkor attached to the FTZ. As we know, and Nikon say as such, AIP lenses are compatible: AFD lenses too (but the cost is no AF on D lenses). The key feature seems to be the sender-unit on the front edge of the adaptor (at the 7 o’clock position approx.). The aperture ring of all AIP or AFD lenses I have tried, the aperture has to be fully closed (set to largest f-stop), otherwise the EE message shows. There is also the rotating "arm" inside the FTZ coupling with the tab/flange in the F-Nikkor.
On the FTZ, fully closing the Aperture ring of any AI or AIS lens in my possession turns the lug of the lens aperture ring to depress the sender-feeler. [See the two photos below.] EXIF data from an AIP or AFD lens reaches the Z7 via its respective CPU through the electronic contacts of the FTZ; when I insulated these contacts on my 45 f2.8AIP the lens is registered as only MF.
But this begs the question - what is the function of the aperture arm in the FTZ? Clearly, the sender unit informs the camera (1) to aperture is fully closed, and (2) the arm in the FTZ controls sets the aperture based on the user turning the front control dial on the camera.
The marketing broadcast on the launch of the Z system underscored the compatibility of the Z Nikons with at least 380 F-Mount lenses – rather vague usage of ‘Compatibility’. The obvious questions to Nikon from committed users of AI  Nikkors is whether a firmware update could enable the FTZ to read the lens tab via its connecting arm? Or will this require a FTZd adapter with an indexing AI ring as well as the AFD motor?

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 13:21:07 »
yes, i was quite disappointed by having to use my lenses in "preset mode" :o :o :o
maybe the Df2 can fix that, ooops ::)

chambeshi

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 13:40:55 »
A somewhat better photo of the FTZ sender, with it depressed by the Lug on the AI-ring

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 14:36:58 »
this would have been awesome if it can somehow actuate it automatically :o :o :o

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 21:12:11 »
I recall reading recently here on NG about the issue that the Z7 does NOT record the aperture setting of a MF AI/AIS Nikkor attached to the FTZ. As we know, and Nikon say as such, AIP lenses are compatible: AFD lenses too (but the cost is no AF on D lenses).

As long the lens has it's own focus motor (AF-I and AF-S), I would expect AF also on D-lenses.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 23:35:40 »
Just to remember:
There are Nikon Screwdriver AF-lenses out there without D-characteristics
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:24 »
D is for distance information so not really relevant to mix that into this thread.
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?lang=en_GB&articleNo=000039918#Electronic

There are however still a lot of acronyms used in the posts that are not Nikon nor ordinary so they must be written out fully at least once, so a normal user can read and understand.
I'm still thinking especially about those strange tele converter factor that actually for most are not relevant IMHO
Erik Lund