Author Topic: All I wanted was to put a hook on my Gitzo?  (Read 2101 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
All I wanted was to put a hook on my Gitzo?
« on: October 09, 2018, 23:49:54 »
I have a Series 3 Gitzo, probably an Interpro Studex, Aluminum. (It has 3 leg sections & the monster size wing nuts.) It has a Cremaillere geared post, but I purchased a standard flat plate for larger glass and more stability.

I'm searching for an affordable 4 or 5, (and already have the large plate, purchased in error.) I know I'm gambling with a pod too small. The leaves haven't fallen, but I'm getting ready for some 500mm/P fun from my back yard.

I struggled to remove the 3/8" screw from the plate. Apparently Gitzo pinned the brass bolt with a steel shank & the threads were ruined & flat when I finally got the stud removed. I installed another stud, but I really didn't have anything super sturdy to use as a hook.

I know some of this wonderful group of people fabricate some really amazing stuff. Basically I'm looking for a small steel hook to thread on the bottom of the 3/8" stud.

Any ideas?
(Thank You in advance,......and "how much does it cost "US Dollars" to renew/be a member higher on the totem, again?

Regards, ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Steven Paulsen

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: All I wanted was to put a hook on my Gitzo?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 13:43:07 »
I don’t think weight will help with stability.
Avoid extending the legs instead.
Erik Lund

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 18:16:52 »
I'll sometimes use a super clamp with a j-hook attached to one of the legs and hang a sand bag or camera bag off of it. This is more about keeping the tripod from moving than adding long lens stability though. If that is to bulky of a solution or you want the weight centered do a search for 3/8" female threaded eyelet and you'll find a variety of options.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 18:37:21 »
....how much does it cost "US Dollars" to renew/be a member higher on the totem, again?

20 Euro or the equivalent in US currency will help you solve the suggested problem :D