Author Topic: Tale # 67: 80-200mm 2.8 AFS  (Read 1106 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Tale # 67
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 22:38:10 »
This is a very nice lens. Very heavy too. I once shots sports with it on the D70. Possible but next to impossible. Not the lenses fault, the camera was not capable, but I took some great shots anyway!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Tale # 67
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 03:18:43 »
Sorry for the short title. I woke up to relieve myself and saw Sato-san’s Facebook update so i had to share it here asap despite being sleepy.  :o :o :o

chambeshi

Re: Tale # 67: 80-200mm 2.8 AFS
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 14:21:03 »
Thank You :-)
A most interesting history, including the long overdue tribute to Susumu Sato - aka the Other Sato. This essay tells us much more valuable background, beyond the fast 80-200.

He designed several of the exotic super tele primes [300, 400, 500, 600] and he succeeded in refining the IQ of the 300 f2.8 with TCs - "Sato's promise was to ensure that when teleconverters were used with lenses utilizing new designs, the levels of performance and chromatic aberration exhibited by the teleconverter/lens combination was superior to that of other lenses of the time with the equivalent final focal length (combined lens/teleconverter focal length)."