Author Topic: Snorkeling the Silfra fissure in Thingvellir Park, Iceland  (Read 4937 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Snorkeling the Silfra fissure in Thingvellir Park, Iceland
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 11:24:22 »
What an adventure !   Greatly documented.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2018, 12:13:16 »
Thanks for the kind comment Jakov. I have heard there are some bigger fish in Thingvellir Lake further out, but the Silfra Fissue is itself likely too low on nutritients to be interesting for the fish to enter. Keep in mind that cold water is in many respects good for the fish as it dissolves more oxygen.

Yes, a Z-mount series Nikonos that could go to scuba diving depths would be something, although a quite an expensive piece of equipment to drown...

Then Nikon should make an AW2, whichever way, I want an update :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2018, 23:01:46 »

Thanks John and Jakov for further comments.

On the technical side is to notice the synergy between the AW 10mm f/2.8 and the Olympus fisheye converter. I previously showed this effect at a close range in the AW1 review. Pincushion distortion of the 10mm under water is cancelled by the "fisheye" effect of the the converter (seen for land shots). This was a rare case to show that these two effects also cancels each other close to infinity resulting in water surface that are not much curved but straight.  (No distortion correction were applied in any of these captures).

Øivind Tøien

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 01:17:37 »
Man! ... What an adventure. My hat's off to you for venturing into such cold water.  That clear water must be such a joy to dive through.  Thank you for sharing.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 08:56:42 »

Thanks for the comment Gary. It did not feel cold - the provided drysuits were very thick (with thick insulation beneath + the merino wool base layer provided by myself), and one basically just had to know how to swim. Due to all the buoyancy keeping us at the surface, I found slow frog kicks more efficient that the regular kicks with fins, allowing more steady swimming with respect to the video capture. I still need to cut/edit some of those clips together...
Øivind Tøien