Author Topic: This baby's got to fly - images added  (Read 6143 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: This baby's got to fly
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2018, 13:42:47 »
I agree, looks like it could also do with a lot of added clearity and or contrast also - Still the first image is a showcase of how these Drones are game changers, wonderful image!

I would fly a bit to the left to have the bright tree top against the shadow of the hill side, it would bring out the tree a little better ;) anyway I like it and it inspires to do more!

These drones offer an almost completely free vantagepoint and the ability to change that vantagepoint almost instantly, amazing new technology!

I agree on all you say.
Now that the problem od editing the DNG seems solved, I will have much more control on the look of the images.
This just reminded how reductuve it is to work with JPG's :)

Regarding the framing, agree it was not perfect, but the operator was (is) still inexperienced and fine positioning the drone was not easy that day, the remote control was constantly flashing red angry HIGH WINDS warnings at me.
Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 22:43:36 »
The images are interesting because of the unusual viewpoint, and the technology itself is interesting but let's be frank about your (admittedly early) results. They are interesting, but I have seen you produce vastly better images when standing on your own two feet. My feeling about drones is that they will turn out to be a short-lived phenomenon where photography is concerned. I think most owner/operators will quickly tire of the constant elevated viewpoint, and the viewers/consumers of the images will tire even more quickly.

I can see great possibilities for science - geology, archaeology, agriculture - all the land sciences - and of course for crime, but for photography? The best I can say is that I'm not sure.

Do you have a live video feed? If not, how do you decide when to shoot?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 23:52:15 »
I was thinking for architecture mostly  ;)
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 00:07:19 »
The images are interesting because of the unusual viewpoint, and the technology itself is interesting but let's be frank about your (admittedly early) results. They are interesting, but I have seen you produce vastly better images when standing on your own two feet. My feeling about drones is that they will turn out to be a short-lived phenomenon where photography is concerned. I think most owner/operators will quickly tire of the constant elevated viewpoint, and the viewers/consumers of the images will tire even more quickly.

I can see great possibilities for science - geology, archaeology, agriculture - all the land sciences - and of course for crime, but for photography? The best I can say is that I'm not sure.

Do you have a live video feed? If not, how do you decide when to shoot?

I do have a live video feed and I can choose when to take a picture and where to point the camera.
The images so far are certainly not phenomenal, I am the first to agree, but it's very early days and for the moment I am more concerned with keeping control of the drone and figuring out the overall operation.
When this will be more ingrained I will have more time and brainpower to dedicate to the photographic process.
I have come to realize that the seemingly effortless act of taking pictures is actually a complex series of technical and creative decisions and at the moment I feel like I am not firing on all cylinders, so to speak.

As for aerial photography being a short lived fad, I disagree.
As with all types of photography there will be soon the cliched stereotypes, yes, but the fact remains that being able to move the camera in 3D instead of essentially 2D opens up massively the opportunities.

Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 22:02:53 »
I revisited a few images after being able to edit to the DNG files, as previously described.
I am so glad that I am not stuck with JPG's only!
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 22:42:53 »
There is quite a stir online about the Mavic 2 Pro, the image is down-sampled in firmware, should be high enough quality for video DJI claim, the only way they say or the on board computer will suffer/overheat,,,
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 22:52:47 »
There is quite a stir online about the Mavic 2 Pro, the image is down-sampled in firmware, should be high enough quality for video DJI claim, the only way they say or the on board computer will suffer/overheat,,,

I don't go much online, so I know nothing of that, I am not sure I even understand what this means...
For what it's worth, I have made a few 4K videos, and even though I found them cool (even with my obvious lack of piloting and cinematographic skills), this is not what I am interested in.
I am interested mainly in stills, and the camera does a good enough job for me.
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 23:27:02 »
Her is the text
“Mavic 2 Pro uses a different processor than P4P and has two 4K modes, as stated on the product page, which are FOV mode and HQ mode. FOV mode has a wider view but less details than HQ mode. FOV mode’s image processing requires raw subsampling, which scales 5.5K raw into 4K raw before feeding it to the image processing pipeline.Raw subsampling is different from line skipping; it uses the full area (of the 16:9 portion) of the image sensor so the signal-noise-ratio is much better than line skipping. Raw subsampling is also different from pixel binning. It is an optimized filtering & sampling process which is much more advanced than the simple average mechanism of pixel binning. Raw subsampling causes some loss in the finest details. However, this is not as visible in real scenes (like aerial filming) as it is on charts.
DJI looked into many solutions for implementing FOV and found that the current FOV mode is the best compromise for the Mavic 2 hardware. Please remember the Mavic 2 is an extremely complex and compact piece of hardware. The current solution represents the best possible way to enable filming using the full 1” sensor wide angle area FOV on the Mavic 2 hardware.”

and link
https://dronedj.com/2018/09/25/mavic-2-pro-pixel-binning-line-skipping-dji-official-response/
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 23:39:13 »
Her is the text
“Mavic 2 Pro uses a different processor than P4P and has two 4K modes, as stated on the product page, which are FOV mode and HQ mode. FOV mode has a wider view but less details than HQ mode. FOV mode’s image processing requires raw subsampling, which scales 5.5K raw into 4K raw before feeding it to the image processing pipeline.Raw subsampling is different from line skipping; it uses the full area (of the 16:9 portion) of the image sensor so the signal-noise-ratio is much better than line skipping. Raw subsampling is also different from pixel binning. It is an optimized filtering & sampling process which is much more advanced than the simple average mechanism of pixel binning. Raw subsampling causes some loss in the finest details. However, this is not as visible in real scenes (like aerial filming) as it is on charts.
DJI looked into many solutions for implementing FOV and found that the current FOV mode is the best compromise for the Mavic 2 hardware. Please remember the Mavic 2 is an extremely complex and compact piece of hardware. The current solution represents the best possible way to enable filming using the full 1” sensor wide angle area FOV on the Mavic 2 hardware.”

and link
https://dronedj.com/2018/09/25/mavic-2-pro-pixel-binning-line-skipping-dji-official-response/

I confess that when it comes to video image quality I am nowhere near as discerning as I am for stills image quality.
Still, I am sticking to FOV mode because of the wider field of view.
Simone Tomasi

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 23:55:53 »
Stunning images, Simone.
I am slowly but surely getting hooked to buying a drone :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 23:58:08 »
Stunning images, Simone.
I am slowly but surely getting hooked to buying a drone :)

I do recommend it, it's lots of fun!
Simone Tomasi

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 00:37:15 »
Impressive IQ, IMO. Like you, stills are my interest, which is not to throw shade on those that shoot video, just not my thing.

I am looking forward to seeing more from your drone, Simone!  8)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 02:47:25 »
The DNG images look noticeably better, which makes them more enjoyable.  Thank you for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 18:43:20 »
The DNG images look noticeably better, which makes them more enjoyable.  Thank you for sharing!

I seem to have missed to thank you for your comment, Akira.
Much appreciated.

Impressive IQ, IMO. Like you, stills are my interest, which is not to throw shade on those that shoot video, just not my thing.

I am looking forward to seeing more from your drone, Simone!  8)

I am happy to do your bidding :)
There are other shots also in this thread, if you haven't seen it already:
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,8015.0.html

Simone Tomasi

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2018, 00:16:12 »
Some good stuff there, Simone (even I have to admit)  - especially when the only alternative is hiring a helicopter at £1000 per hour.