Author Topic: This baby's got to fly - images added  (Read 6193 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
This baby's got to fly - images added
« on: September 24, 2018, 19:34:41 »
Having a normal camera and an underwater one, the next obvious step was getting an airborne one.
I have been waiting for something that would be portable enough for a long hike, with sufficient image quality, at the reasonable price.
The Mavic 2 Pro is the first model that meets all my requirements so I took the dive.

These are from the first real flight, but I was more focused on learning how to operate it safely than taking photos.
I have nothing that processes the RAW files, it's a very new camera, so these are OOC jpg's.
I feel I have just scratched the surface, these images are only quick shots and there is so much improvement possible, nonetheless I am excited by the different views I got.
This thing feels like a complete game changer for me.
Simone Tomasi

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: This baby's got to fly
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 19:40:19 »
Great i like it.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 19:56:24 »
Simone Tomasi

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 20:01:20 »
looks very good for a first attempt
the 3 D is well underlined by the small valleys
Thomas Stellwag

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 20:02:48 »
Congratulations! I does seem like Mavic 2 is a mature Drone series, and the Pro really looks attractive at the price-point also ;)
And what is healthy for the nerves to fly around with  :D
Fist shot really has this aerial vantage point where you really did amazing with the tree trunk shadow, very special,,, I like it a lot.
You and JA flying the same setup now  8) these just want me even more to jump at it,,,
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 20:08:38 »
looks very good for a first attempt
the 3 D is well underlined by the small valleys

Thanks Thomas.

A few more from today's after work practice.
Taken from a little hill overlooking my village.
I have found the command for bracketing the shots :)
But I still get overblown highlights on the white monument ("White Nancy"), at least in jpg.
We'lll see when I can edit the DNG files, for the moment they are unused.
I have to practice more, and learn how to make use of the smart flight modes.

Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 20:09:20 »
Congratulations! I does seem like Mavic 2 is a mature Drone series, and the Pro really looks attractive at the price-point also ;)
And what is healthy for the nerves to fly around with  :D
Fist shot really has this aerial vantage point where you really did amazing with the tree trunk shadow, very special,,, I like it a lot.
You and JA flying the same setup now  8) these just want me even more to jump at it,,,

Cheers Erik! (cross-posted)

PS By all means Erik, do get one.
It is not expensive, at least compared to most of your other photography equipment, and it is fun and different.
Simone Tomasi

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 20:43:49 »
basic drohne training ( in German, but it should go easily through translators  https://www.kopter-profi.de/media/praktisches_flugtraining_drohnen.pdf
it is from a site where you can make your drohne license which is necessary having more than 0.25kg mass or using it professional in D
Thomas Stellwag

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 22:12:31 »
basic drohne training ( in German, but it should go easily through translators  https://www.kopter-profi.de/media/praktisches_flugtraining_drohnen.pdf
it is from a site where you can make your drohne license which is necessary having more than 0.25kg mass or using it professional in D

Thanks, before buying I have read carefully the UK law, which appears to be much more amateur friendly.
Non-commercial users can use aircraft that are up to 8 kg in weight without needing any license.
There is absolutely no distinction between photographt drones and other model aircraft (of course all privacy regulations regarding photography also apply) and technically no third party liability insurance is mandated, although I have purchased one joining the BMFA (British Model Flying Association), in addition to the one covering accidental damage to the drone (most of the time this is self-inflicted).

The law in my country (Italy) is very similar to the UK and I have already made sure the BMFA insurance covers me there too, as in the rest of Europe.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 22:28:44 »
Looks promising, Simone!

The camera seems to meter pretty well, so it would be safe to look forward to processing the DNG files.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 22:36:34 »
Looks promising, Simone!

The camera seems to meter pretty well, so it would be safe to look forward to processing the DNG files.

I expect a lot more exposure latitude from the DNG.
The JPGs seem a bit too hot (see images from the first day) and I have started bracketing (3 shots, 0.7 EV steps), but I think next time I'll also lower the exposure by 0.3 EV across the board. As it stands, the top of the exposure range is always blown out massively.
Simone Tomasi

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 23:01:57 »
The images are very interesting and sounds like a lot of fun too. Congratulations on your new toy. I´ll keep an eye on your posts and those from JA.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:48 »
Enjoying your images Simone and good luck with the DNG processing when the tools become available to you.

A word of friendly warning from a fellow sufferer:  model aircraftism is a highly addictive condition that is almost worse than photography and cannot be gotten rid of - it takes on the proportions of a life long disease.  Your BMFA membership indicates to me that you are now irretrieveably afflicted!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Thanks, before buying I have read carefully the UK law, which appears to be much more amateur friendly.
Non-commercial users can use aircraft that are up to 8 kg in weight without needing any license.
There is absolutely no distinction between photographt drones and other model aircraft (of course all privacy regulations regarding photography also apply) and technically no third party liability insurance is mandated, although I have purchased one joining the BMFA (British Model Flying Association), in addition to the one covering accidental damage to the drone (most of the time this is self-inflicted).

The law in my country (Italy) is very similar to the UK and I have already made sure the BMFA insurance covers me there too, as in the rest of Europe.
Hugh Gunn

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2018, 11:37:19 »
Enjoying your images Simone and good luck with the DNG processing when the tools become available to you.

A word of friendly warning from a fellow sufferer:  model aircraftism is a highly addictive condition that is almost worse than photography and cannot be gotten rid of - it takes on the proportions of a life long disease.  Your BMFA membership indicates to me that you are now irretrieveably afflicted!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I have to admit that flying the drone gives me an unexpected adrenaline kick  ;D
Maybe because I am still so afraid of crashing it.

Regarding the DNG processing, I discovered that Capture One Pro doesn't like the DNG files because the Make exif information says it is a Hasselblad camera - they are in competition with Hasselblad and refuse to process raw files generated by a competing system.
It does not matter that this is not a medium format sensor, how silly of Capture One.
But not all is lost because:

1) there is an ongoing feature request campaign to enable RAW files from the Mavic 2, and I have contributed to that
2) more importantly, if one changes the Make tag from Hasselblad to DJI the files can be processed in CO11. Off the ExifTool script goes... now all my files are editable :)
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2018, 13:17:11 »
I expect a lot more exposure latitude from the DNG.
The JPGs seem a bit too hot (see images from the first day) and I have started bracketing (3 shots, 0.7 EV steps), but I think next time I'll also lower the exposure by 0.3 EV across the board. As it stands, the top of the exposure range is always blown out massively.
I agree, looks like it could also do with a lot of added clearity and or contrast also - Still the first image is a showcase of how these Drones are game changers, wonderful image!

I would fly a bit to the left to have the bright tree top against the shadow of the hill side, it would bring out the tree a little better ;) anyway I like it and it inspires to do more!

These drones offer an almost completely free vantagepoint and the ability to change that vantagepoint almost instantly, amazing new technology!

Erik Lund