Author Topic: NG Scotland 2016  (Read 93728 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: NG Scotland 2016
« Reply #660 on: June 06, 2017, 23:31:17 »
Thank you so much, Andrea, John and Bjørn - it seems that many of us understand the hurt of losing a favourite dog. It can go very deep.

Andrea - that is a beautiful image, one of the best ever taken of Sally.  It captures perfectly her calm, her patience and her sweet character. Mayumi will be as thrilled as I am; we will probably both need to cry again.

David, I've never met you or Sally, but believe me, we feel your pain. I've been in your position too many times for my liking, it's always a traumatic experience. In the last few years we have been taking in rescue dogs (Bullmastiffs), and they're almost always old dogs by the time we get them. They quickly become a member of the family, and losing them is cause for grief.

On the other side of that you must recall the goodness, the love, and companionship that the Sally provided, and the loving home that you provided for her. All dogs should be so lucky to have such a life. Sadly that is not   always the case.
Carl

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #661 on: June 06, 2017, 23:39:51 »
So sad to hear David  ...I feel your loss, it reminds me of my own and share your tears.
Bez

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #662 on: June 07, 2017, 11:10:17 »
Thank you for your kindness and understanding, Carl and Bez. I am overwhelmed by the response from so many forum members - something I didn't really expect.

Thank you all, again; everyone.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #663 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:57 »
Here is yet another capture of the pair of you in your element,,,

_EGL2961 by Erik Gunst Lund, on Flickr
Erik Lund

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #664 on: June 10, 2017, 17:22:21 »
Erik - thank you. So many friends - in NG and not in NG - have sent their sympathy and their photographs, it's quite humbling. Lots of people obviously understand very well what it means to have to kill (not "put to sleep") a much-loved pet animal. The hurt can go very deep, as it did with me. I don't think we'll have another dog.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #665 on: June 10, 2017, 23:13:07 »
David,
It has been over 20 years since I lost my dog, and I would love another one but could not bear the heartache of losing it. Your loss did bring me to tears (something that almost never happens), as I felt for you and it brought back memories.

Some people could never understand, but I am sure many do share our thoughts.

Best Regards
Bez

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2017, 11:39:14 »
Bez - thank you for that. It's comforting to know that others, like you, have been deeply affected by the death of their dog; and that my grief over the loss of Sally isn't just some kind of exaggerated self-indulgence. These past few days I've cried as I last cried when I was a child, and it's not over yet.

Thank you again.
With best wishes,
David

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2017, 16:17:06 »
It is always hard to lose ones dog or cat, but a replacement animal really is a great antidote to the loss of a special pet, such as your Sally.  I know from personal experience.

David, first give yourself some time.

. The hurt can go very deep, as it did with me. I don't think we'll have another dog.
Hugh Gunn

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #668 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:37 »
Thanks, Hugh - good advice, I'm sure. We are slowly regaining our sanity and adjusting to life without Sally, but it's hard.

I don't know about another dog - we still have a cat and will take some time before thinking seriously about further pets.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #669 on: October 13, 2018, 13:54:39 »
I had to find this image for David Paterson   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,7972.msg129354.html#msg129354

But decided it's real home should be here  ....and would like to thank him again for the special memories.

piper by #Bez, on Flickr

Cheers
Bez

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #670 on: October 13, 2018, 14:42:25 »
Thanks for that, Bez. If I get my way, there will be another chance to make some Scottish memories, perhaps next spring. If it happens, it would be nice to have you on board.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #671 on: October 13, 2018, 14:57:10 »
I had to find this image for David Paterson   http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,7972.msg129354.html#msg129354

But decided it's real home should be here  ....and would like to thank him again for the special memories.
Cheers

Nice T-shirt!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira