Author Topic: D850 Sensor Issue  (Read 5161 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: D850 Sensor Issue
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 14:32:12 »
Reflections must be weaker than the source. And stars are not reflected from solid ground, like the pier in the foreground.

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 14:40:19 »
no, they change position in all pics and star are with the trail for the 30" of exposure. you can see the trail of stars in the stars. and rusty metal don't reflect

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 14:41:01 »
if i shot to a wall there are the same mfloyd stars

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 14:44:46 »
Can you tell me where you find a problem in this picture ? Beside, it's not ideally exposed and processed.

the file isn't post processed. you can find like illuminated dots named pixel

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 17:50:59 »
Check the nef files for this issue
I had a similar issue and I thought hot pixels but  i was wrong, the same spots was only in the jpeg files not in nefs of my D7200

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 21:43:48 »
Reflections must be weaker than the source. And stars are not reflected from solid ground, like the pier in the foreground.

Again for me. I looked on my smartphone; screen a bit too small. Thank you for reminding me the aforementioned  principles.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 05:45:44 »

Water is not necessarily a flat plane. A ripple can reflect some of the brighter lights in the scene or even outside the scene. In the foreground most of the bright spots only show in the open part of the grate so could be reflections off the water below.

I’d suggest that the test be made without moving reflective surfaces as they are misleading.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 07:44:08 »
Defective camera, send it in for repair.

The 'reflections' are a red herring*.

As Birna states the genuine star trails are distinct and quite different from the 'reflections' which appear on rocks, steel, concrete and even the underside of the handrail...

While there is good depth of focus, all the hot pixels are distinct, clear and sharp, right to the bottom of the image and where there are reflections of structures on the far shore, they are well diffused.

If this camera is new, then it should be returned, if it's used then it may well have already been returned for this fault, but sold again as a pup, in the expectation that not too many people take photographs in the dark...  Except us of course!  For anyone familiar with  cleaning up star trail exposures the difference between a hot pixel and a star is like night and day.

* For readers not familiar with the expression: A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important issue.  It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or audiences towards a false conclusion.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:16:46 »

As Birna states the genuine star trails are distinct and quite different from the 'reflections' which appear on rocks, steel, concrete and even the underside of the handrail...

While there is good depth of focus, all the hot pixels are distinct, clear and sharp, right to the bottom of the image and where there are reflections of structures on the far shore, they are well diffused.

If this camera is new, then it should be returned, if it's used then it may well have already been returned for this fault, but sold again as a pup, in the expectation that not too many people take photographs in the dark...  Except us of course!  For anyone familiar with  cleaning up star trail exposures the difference between a hot pixel and a star is like night and day.

* For readers not familiar with the expression: A red herring is something that misleads or distracts from a relevant or important issue.  It may be either a logical fallacy or a literary device that leads readers or audiences towards a false conclusion.

don't change anything, this is the situation

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 08:18:26 »

it's new and nikon italia don't work in the change direction :(

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 08:19:25 »
Again for me. I looked on my smartphone; screen a bit too small. Thank you for reminding me the aforementioned  principles.

:) thanks too you for you time :)

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 08:20:55 »
Check the nef files for this issue
I had a similar issue and I thought hot pixels but  i was wrong, the same spots was only in the jpeg files not in nefs of my D7200

the jpeg was created only for delivery, NEF is 100MB but the original shot was .nef. I shot RAW only

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:59 »
Water is not necessarily a flat plane. A ripple can reflect some of the brighter lights in the scene or even outside the scene. In the foreground most of the bright spots only show in the open part of the grate so could be reflections off the water below.

I’d suggest that the test be made without moving reflective surfaces as they are misleading.

Even specular reflections will spatially average to less intensity than their source. And parts of the pier should be pretty stationary.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2018, 09:01:53 »
it's new and nikon italia don't work in the change direction :(

Are you an NPS member?  In UK they are very good, support I have had is excellent.

UK sale of goods laws are pretty tough, is that not also true in Italy?  This camera is not fit for purpose.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

caffeina

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2018, 09:07:34 »
Are you an NPS member?  In UK they are very good, support I have had is excellent.

UK sale of goods laws are pretty tough, is that not also true in Italy?  This camera is not fit for purpose.

no, are simple nital vip client