Author Topic: Fur Traders  (Read 1161 times)

Aeros4

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aeros4
Fur Traders
« on: September 10, 2018, 23:23:15 »
Voyagures by Richard Jones, on Flickr
Aeros4

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Fur Traders
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 08:55:07 »
Amazing scene ;) and very well captured and processed, Must look quite fantastic printed.

How did you come across this?

Is it stitched?
Erik Lund

Aeros4

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aeros4
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 23:34:06 »
Erik, sorry to create a mystery. This is a composite starting with ten frames of the river from a Pentax 645D. The geese are added from a shot with a Nikon D800E with a Sigma 150-600 mm S hand held. The reflections are derived from the original shot of the geese and morphed via PS 6. The canoes are added from images painted by Francis Anne Hopkins, she was a painter who accompanied her husband (an executive of the Hudson Bay Company) on his many trips along trading and trapping routes in Canada's wilderness in the 1800's. Hopkins is still highly valued in Canada for her extraordinarily accurate work. I incorporated the canoes, adding the reflections I created in PS6.

I was shocked when viewing this work for the first time, how well the main canoe seamed to belong in the scene, a lucky symbiosis.

Thank you Erik for your visit and your engagement with this post. You raised some interesting questions. I usually state when posting , if the image is a composite. Sorry for the confusion. The print size is 20" high x 16' (feet) long. BTW this is the Athabasca river starting at the Columbia Ice Fields in Brirish Colombia. The river in this comp., is steps from were I live in Fort Assiniboine Alberta, The hamlet takes it's name from the original Hudsons Bay Trading post. There's been a poulation boom, we're now 174 souls. :D
Aeros4

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 00:28:46 »
What a wonderful piece of work!  To my eye, the blend of painting and photography is delightful.

Many thanks for the explanation and background.  It didn't quite ring true as a simple photograph.

Exceptional.  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Aeros4

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aeros4
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 03:00:15 »
Thank you Robert for you very kind words. It was a long and challenging edit/manipulation. It started with the idea of a pano when I spent some time sitting on the riverbank. I added the geese. After some time during the Canada 150 celebrations of the century and a half of Canada becoming a confederation, I decided to add the fur trading canoes in homage to those who built Canada's economy through the fur trade.

The fur trade and trapping has become a very contentious issue in present times. In the day, Le Voyageurs were hard working men of French, Métis and First Nations blood. They were mercilessly exploited by the Hudson’s Bay Company. It took a pile of beaver pelts to equal the height of a "Trade rifle" stood on its butt, with the pelts level with the muzzle. The Hudson Bay Company started to lengthen the "Trade Rifle" barrels in order to increase the amount of pelts needed in trade. Exploitation of the naïve is not a new thing. I spent a lot of time as a bush pilot flying first Nations people into their trapping and fishing camps. My experience of Canada's first nations, I could wright a book about. I would choose them as my first family before all others.

Thanks for your encouraging words Robert.

Please follow this link for an uato-panning video of this work......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUANNx11OFo
Aeros4

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:44:26 »
That explains a lot thank you!, It looks like a scene from a big Hollywood film set :) very nicely done.

Yes remember to put in 'Composite' that of couse is even more important when published! ;)

Really needs to be viewed large for full potential
Erik Lund

Aeros4

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aeros4
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 08:57:08 »
Yes Erik, you can view it enlarged by cliking this link..........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUANNx11OFo
Aeros4