Author Topic: No love for the X-T3 ?  (Read 2432 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
No love for the X-T3 ?
« on: September 07, 2018, 15:54:11 »
The news about  the x-t3 are being eclipsed by the other mirrorless announcements and maybe I'm not connected enough to Fuji but have not seen much content online
even the fuji pages do not mention it on the home page like Nikon did, I had to click around to find it

Here are many videos created by fuji promoting the new features and improvements in the X-T3
http://fujifilm-x.com/cameras/x-t3/?_ga=2.179620708.1188120478.1536327491-1513034151.1534354547

Last week I met a friend who owns a couple of Fuji cameras, he wants more resolution  and wanted to talk to me about nikon FF, he is considering the D850,
we both brought our laptops and did some pixel peeping, he maybe a more disciplined photographer than me, but IMO the IQ he gets from his X-T2 and fuji lenses surpasses what
I get with my D800.

Afterwards we both walked away with more doubts than answers
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: No love for the X-T3 ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 16:55:09 »
May be a better option than the Zees at that price point anyway, i have seen great results from the no filter fuji sensores.

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 17:20:33 »
The news about  the x-t3 are being eclipsed by the other mirrorless announcements and maybe I'm not connected enough to Fuji but have not seen much content online
even the fuji pages do not mention it on the home page like Nikon did, I had to click around to find it

Here are many videos created by fuji promoting the new features and improvements in the X-T3
http://fujifilm-x.com/cameras/x-t3/?_ga=2.179620708.1188120478.1536327491-1513034151.1534354547

Last week I met a friend who owns a couple of Fuji cameras, he wants more resolution  and wanted to talk to me about nikon FF, he is considering the D850,
we both brought our laptops and did some pixel peeping, he maybe a more disciplined photographer than me, but IMO the IQ he gets from his X-T2 and fuji lenses surpasses what
I get with my D800.

Afterwards we both walked away with more doubts than answers

Your shot discipline with a D800 sensor...compact with pixels as it is must be very tight compared to a 24mp and lower mp count sensor.  That definitely plays into it.
You also have to consider that your lenses may not be 100% calibrated with the phase detect system in the D800, where as the Fuji mirrorless system is contrast detect based and does not require calibration with any of the lenses.

What might have been a better telling to your friend is to shoot your setup and see how his images fared compared to what you already have.   I know even going from the 12mp to 24mp sensors requires you to be even steadier because of the density of the pixels on the same size sensor.

Basically, the sloppy technique you used to be able to get away with no longer holds true, at least not in my experience.  Even shooting m43 with IBIS on all the time allowed me to get sloppy and lax in my hand holding techniques when going back and shooting non-stabilized Nikon cameras and lenses.

If more mp is what he is looking for, then the D800/D810/D850 is kind of hard to beat at this point in features to MP to price, honestly.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 18:27:17 »
I have an X100F and the X-T3 looks really good to me.  But I want IBIS, so if Fuji comes up with a X-H2 with all the goodies that were added to the X-T3, I would be more than tempted :-)

Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 19:19:23 »
...But I want IBIS...

me too !
I should just go out and shoot
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 20:43:54 »
I have used all the X-T models so far and have looked with interest at the X-T3.
There is only one big improvement that is relevant for me, that is AF (a big thing!)
The X-T2 was already a big improvement over the X-T1 so I believe the reports (DPreview)
However the other big thing in the X-T3 is much improved video, which I am not interested in.
What I would like is AF and size as in the X-T3, plus IBIS as in the X-H1.

I am not going to buy the X-T3, at least for some time, the improvement is too incremental over the X-T2.
Instead I have spent that money to buy a Mavic 2 Pro, it opens completely new possibilities for me.
Waiting anxiously for the delivery... it is in transit.

Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 23:56:48 »
I wonder if the X-Trans sensor would still have an advantage over the Bayer sensor at 24/26MP.  The new BSI sensor should be a big welcome to the APS-C world, though.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 23:59:22 »
Basically, the sloppy technique you used to be able to get away with no longer holds true, at least not in my experience.  Even shooting m43 with IBIS on all the time allowed me to get sloppy and lax in my hand holding techniques when going back and shooting non-stabilized Nikon cameras and lenses.

That also is exactly my case.   :'(

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 01:45:07 »
I wonder if the X-Trans sensor would still have an advantage over the Bayer sensor at 24/26MP.  The new BSI sensor should be a big welcome to the APS-C world, though.
I have concluded that, for my purposes, the X-Trans sensor offers no advantage over Bayer.  Zero.**   The nice color that many Fuji X enthusiasts mention is probably a result of Fujifilm's long experience with color perception in relation to their chemical-based photography/printing businesses.
**Based on using Nikon D200, D2x, D3 and D800 cameras and the 16MP Fuji X cameras.  No exact 16MP Bayer to 16MP X-Trans comparison has been available to me.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 05:56:57 »
I have concluded that, for my purposes, the X-Trans sensor offers no advantage over Bayer.  Zero.**   The nice color that many Fuji X enthusiasts mention is probably a result of Fujifilm's long experience with color perception in relation to their chemical-based photography/printing businesses.
**Based on using Nikon D200, D2x, D3 and D800 cameras and the 16MP Fuji X cameras.  No exact 16MP Bayer to 16MP X-Trans comparison has been available to me.

Keith, thank you for sharing your observation.  If I understand correctly, the X-Trans was the concept to enable the removal of AA filter from the relatively low-res APS-C 16MP sensor without causing moire.

As the cameras of different brands with 24MP APS-C sensor proved that moire was manageable enough without AA filter, I have doubted the effectiveness of X-Trans.

So far as I'm aware, the initial 16MP X-Trans sensor was based on the normal Bayer sensor made by Sony used in D7000.  So, I'd rather be interested in the performance of Bayer version of this new BSI 26MP sensor.

Viv

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2018, 10:44:01 »
I still use the XT-1.
I doubt that I will buy the XT-3.
Maybe a reduced-price XT-2.

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2018, 14:05:53 »
I'm on my fourth X-trans camera (the X-T2) and I agree: Fuji would have saved themselves and everybody else a lot of work if they had just used Bayer sensors from the beginning. Endless discussion threads, probably stretching from here to Alpha Centauri, could have been prevented.

Before my first Fuji camera, the X-E1, I had the Nikon D7000 - both of them had the same (or very similar) 16 MP sensor. There was no discernible advantage or disadvantage between the raw files from the cameras. From what I have read, it appears that X-Trans sensors might give slightly less colour noise in high-ISO images, at the cost of needing more processing power. The difference seems to be negligible. All modern sensors have impressive dynamic range compared to my first digital camera, the D80.

On the other hand, it should also be said that Lightroom's rendering of Fuji raw files has improved greatly. Today, there is absolutely nothing to worry about if you use Lightroom and X-Trans. For ultimate sharpness you might want to run your raw file through the Iridient plug in (assuming your image is perfectly focussed to begin with), but for me Lightroom is the most practical all-round program. It does not excel at one thing, but does so many things so well that I prefer to use it (highlight and shadow recovery, purple fringing removal, the look of high-ISO noise ...).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2018, 09:56:57 »
Hi, Termite, thank you for sharing your experience.  I was also liked my D7000, so your experience with both D7000 and EX-1 as well as the processing of the X-Trans RAW files in LR is great food for thought.

And, last but not least, welcome to NG!

Termite

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2018, 13:07:47 »
"And, last but not least, welcome to NG!"

Thanks! I've been reading NikonGear for a long time, but I usually don't post anything.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2018, 19:28:32 »

On the other hand, it should also be said that Lightroom's rendering of Fuji raw files has improved greatly. Today, there is absolutely nothing to worry about if you use Lightroom and X-Trans. For ultimate sharpness you might want to run your raw file through the Iridient plug in (assuming your image is perfectly focussed to begin with), but for me Lightroom is the most practical all-round program. It does not excel at one thing, but does so many things so well that I prefer to use it (highlight and shadow recovery, purple fringing removal, the look of high-ISO noise ...).
This is my observation also.  The Lightroom/ACR improvement of X-Trans took place in tiny increments over several years.  Too bad I'll be missing any further improvements due to my discomfort with Adobe's 'subscribe or die' business model. Both Iridient and Photo Ninja are, IMO, still better at granular detail with X-Trans, but that detail is on a level that is invisible in most prints and displays.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA