Author Topic: Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless camera  (Read 7247 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless camera
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 17:44:35 »
flange back 20 mm (compared to 16)
Hmm, so their own crop sized EF-M lenses cannot be used or adapted as they have a flange distance of 18mm. Not a real loss I guess as Canon didn't release any noteworthy EF-M lenses.

Compared to the other mirrorless mounts the 20mm is rather long but should leave enough room to adapt Leica M (27.8mm) and Contax G (29mm) lenses.

Here's all the flange distances btw:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2018, 17:46:55 »
THREE lens adapters for which purpose ever
Besides the regular EF to R adapter there's also one with a ring to adjust something like maybe the aperture and a third version which has a builtin filter slot apparently.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2018, 18:13:40 »
Canon reportedly measure the AF low light sensitivity with an f/1.2 lens, so it is a trick to make the camera seem better in specs. Most use f/2 to report this spec.

The 28-70/2 seems heavy and not such a good fit with a mirrorless body that is lighter than a DSLR. I find it difficult to believe a 1.4-1.5kg ”standard zoom” would become popular.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2018, 18:36:54 »
off topic but no mention here of fuji

https://www.fujirumors.com

the updated medium format looks interesting

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 01:59:04 »
The 28-70/2 seems heavy and not such a good fit with a mirrorless body that is lighter than a DSLR. I find it difficult to believe a 1.4-1.5kg ”standard zoom” would become popular.
It seems Canon don't want to be outdone by the Sigma 24-35/2 ...

If Panasonic also decides to go FX, they'll leave Olympus in a blind alley. It's unlikely if not downright impossible for Panasonic to keep the m4/3 mount for a new FX line of cameras.
Olympus have filed patents for "full frame" lenses too. It does not mean either will abandon the m4/3 format. I think it is too well established now, and it fills a useful niche, ie a camera system with good IQ and is usefully more compact than bigger formats.

ianwatson

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 02:33:13 »
but forget the mirrorless 'small is beautiful' hype.

Hype indeed. There is such a thing as too small and fiddly. I have hope for Nikon's new efforts in this regard since they seem to understand the importance of ergonomics. Canon may well too.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 04:42:47 »
Roland, I agree - at least I most certainly hope that you are right! 

Olympus at least have a past history of making high quality film cameras and lenses supporting the 24x36mm/135 format.

(Yes I also use an Olympus OMD E-M1 Mk1 & 2 as well as my Nikon gear.  And MILC cameras are here to stay - no matter what format that they manifest themselves in.)

Olympus have filed patents for "full frame" lenses too. It does not mean either will abandon the m4/3 format. I think it is too well established now, and it fills a useful niche, ie a camera system with good IQ and is usefully more compact than bigger formats.
Hugh Gunn

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2018, 08:26:30 »
Really good to see Canon is also in the big mirror-less segment! :)

I don't have an issue so much with big lenses, but,,, wow both Nikon and Canon go all in for large lenses  :o

Nikkor 28-70 mm AFS was/is an outstanding lens in all regards, and you had no issues from 'too-wide' look from the 24-28mm range of people up close in the corners that can easily happen otherwise.
Erik Lund

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2018, 08:51:02 »
Really good to see Canon is also in the big mirror-less segment! :)

I don't have an issue so much with big lenses, but,,, wow both Nikon and Canon go all in for large lenses  :o

Nikkor 28-70 mm AFS was/is an outstanding lens in all regards, and you had no issues from 'too-wide' look from the 24-28mm range of people up close in the corners that can easily happen otherwise.

Press photographers using the 14-24 mm to move closer (thus forcing their colleagues to do the same) made this even more an issue.

I like big lenses and i like small lenses and its the best if i can chose what to take for the specific opportunity
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2018, 09:33:32 »
Sure big and small lenses is a nice opportunity!

I'm selling off my Leica M, I simply don't use it so much anymore :o :-\ :'(
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:30 »
After more than a decade of IRMA testing the majority of the consumers seem to value stunning lab scores from flat paper targets over actual real life use.

With the current lens limitations there seems to be the small but expensive Leica route or the go big and (somewhat) affordable route, modern manual focus lenses like the Voigtlander and Zeiss FE lenses seem to be the perfect middle ground between size and IQ.

The Voigtlander range for the Sony E which will hopefully be ported to the Nikon Z and Canon RF mounts offer a very nice range of compact and capable lenses:
https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/e-mount/?lang=en

With a small camera we have at least the choice to go small with manual focus lenses or size up the system when things like AF, zoom, tele, etc are needed :)

In my case I'll stick with the Voigtlander E 15/4.5 (first) and F 50/1.2 (third) when I want to keep things small and take along the FE 35/1.4 (second) or the tele lenses when their size is not an impediment.

is that a Canon FD 85mm f/1.2?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2018, 10:46:57 »
For me the increased diversity of mounts further discourages me from buying into any of these systems that all seem try&error and possibly abandoned in a few years. The current F-Mount Nikon System is wonderful. D500 + D850 plus nice AFS-G and -E-glass is my dream come true. Only a used D5 for cheap might come in handy as a third body one day. Quite possibly when the D5s appears ...

I have never been happier with a camera setup than I am with my current
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2018, 10:58:10 »
Nostalgic and wise Frank  ;)

I would tend to agree with you,,,

Yes JA has the nice old 85mm 1.2mm - I was not allowed to modify it for Nikon F-Mount, yet,,,
Erik Lund

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2018, 14:48:12 »
These major players are following the same trend: offering not smaller, but bigger, lenses. More glass, more sophisticated optical designs.

Which is likely a good thing, but forget the mirrorless 'small is beautiful' hype.

If new mirrorless systems are to be attractive, they have to offer more sophistication and resultant great performance. The principles of optics dictate that if such is to happen, mirrorless systems that aspire to be high performance systems cannot be small systems.
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 15:56:23 »
Yes JA has the nice old 85mm 1.2mm - I was not allowed to modify it for Nikon F-Mount, yet,,,

is it really possible to convert FD Canon Lenses to F-Mount?

For me the character of the 1.2/85 was always desirable