Author Topic: Public toilets-a new concept  (Read 2863 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Re: Public toilets-a new concept
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2018, 04:49:08 »
Once I became a parent it opened my eyes to all of the ridiculous, absurd, frustrating, etc situations that parents find themselves in. Any judgements I may have once had about public scenes such as this have ceased to exist.
Well I'm both a parent and now a grandparent, and I would never, ever do with any of them what I photographed last weekend.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 06:31:48 »
So what. That's a matter of local habits & acceptance, like nude bathing, wearing a headgear or not, or breastfeeding in public. Nothing to get passionate about.
Airy Magnien

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2018, 06:35:44 »
Well I'm both a parent and now a grandparent, and I would never, ever do with any of them what I photographed last weekend.
Robert

I can assure you that I would do my best to not end up in that situation as well. And somehow I doubt that those parents we're just going about business as usual. There's a myriad of reasons why one might have to make an emergency trip to the bathroom and I'd lean more towards compassion than disgust for the family without knowing the full story. 

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 07:51:13 »
I found myself in a similar situation, several times. Of course you try to avoid it... But in the end I don't find it shocking.
The kid should be as transparent as the homeless people we tend not to see and yet they live on the same sidewalks, unfortunately.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 08:01:58 »
Well observed. I'm always struggling when I am tempted to take pictures of homeless, bums, or beggars on the street. Not looking at them is a way to protect the privacy everybody needs or appreciates. At the same time, it feels cowardly or hypocritical not to look poverty into the eyes. My personal "rule" is, I would get into a casual conversation, and (if I really have a good reason to grab a shot) ask for permission, something I won't normally ask others when doing streetshots. With the exception foreseen by French law, regarding underage children, should they become the main subject.
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2018, 08:06:19 »

not quite public :)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2018, 08:37:46 »
nice painting
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 09:57:24 »

not quite public :)

psychodelic vomitting environment???-
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2018, 14:34:13 »
So what. That's a matter of local habits & acceptance, like nude bathing, wearing a headgear or not, or breastfeeding in public. Nothing to get passionate about.
You have just made my point. It is neither a local habit nor accepted in the city in which I live.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 10:40:16 »
I would be fairly amazed and disgusted to see this happening in my streets.

I've also had similar experiences when I visited Suzhou, it was far worse though, FAR worse.

There was this middle-aged lady who let the child (a girl) she's taking care of (maybe that was her grandma?) pee on the floors of a McDonald's!!! My mum and I were sitting nearby, and we saw the horror unfold in front of our eyes.

The couple didn't even order anything, their tables were empty. She pulled the child up, took her pants off, and let her pee on the floors of the restaurant. I really wish I was making this up. It was just utterly grossed, everyone else was also grossed out and stunned, giving the couple rude stares. Just... the effing toilets are less than 20 metres away!!!!!

In cities such as Suzhou and Shanghai it's acceptable for kids to do it on the spot, provided that their parents clean up the mess.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2018, 14:38:55 »
Yes, there are diffrences in different places.

I am amused by this one from the French satirical comedy Clochmerle.

Look at seconds 37 to 42.  ;D

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPyzuRleyvM
Hugh Gunn