Author Topic: Ginza unusual  (Read 1387 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Ginza unusual
« on: August 23, 2018, 18:29:58 »
There is a temporary garden on the land where there used to be the famous Sony building was.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Ginza unusual
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 18:46:14 »
Wait... there is a Nikon shop at the bottom of the building bearing the "Fujiya" sign, right ? with all the oldies inside ?
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 02:46:51 »
Wait... there is a Nikon shop at the bottom of the building bearing the "Fujiya" sign, right ? with all the oldies inside ?

Exactly!  So, you should remember the Sony building on the opposite side of the street which was demolished recently and replaced with this temporary garden until they start constructing the new building.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 06:11:52 »
Not at all... too fascinated by the Ali Baba-esque Nikon shop. Two stays in Tokyo, two lenses bought, an 500/8 N (funny) and a 180/2.8 AIS ED (beautiful), after having lusted for a Noct once more...

What is the reason for scrapping the Sony building? just having another bigger one for the same company?
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 11:07:22 »
Not at all... too fascinated by the Ali Baba-esque Nikon shop. Two stays in Tokyo, two lenses bought, an 500/8 N (funny) and a 180/2.8 AIS ED (beautiful), after having lusted for a Noct once more...

What is the reason for scrapping the Sony building? just having another bigger one for the same company?

The demolished Sony building was competed 52 years ago.  Also, after the severe earthquake in 2011, the architectural standard against the earthquake had been raised.  And many old buildings have turned out not to satisfy it and have to be strengthen or rebuilt.  Sony building was no exception.

Hope the lenses you purchased served you well.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 04:35:18 »
Sorry to hear Sony building gone. I spent a nice afternoon there in 1999 in the high-end room listening to SACD which was just announced. I think it was Kind of Blue, Time Out and Japanese female vocalists!

That evening - Ginza, F501 with 35-70 on Velvia

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 06:25:52 »
Hope the lenses you purchased served you well.

The Reflex 500/8 is the subject of another thread. Fancy lens, difficult to use in practice, but part of the problem is the focal length itself, not everything should be blamed on the mirror... The time I bought it, the 300PF was not yet advertized, 70-200+doubler was not very good, so I decided to get the "best" for Nikon and see.

The other acquisition was far less exotic, a 180/2.8 AIS ED in a very good condition too. A true classic that delivered lots of keepers.

I came into contact with two Nocts at the time, but resisted.

Thanks for the explanations re Sony building. Fifty years is not much and Japanese standards are usually high, but I tend to forget that earthquake and climate conditions there are more demanding than in Lille: here in my lifetime, I'm likely to experience magnitude 3, which will go unnoticed unless it happens at night and I stay awake and sitting near the crockery cupboard.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 14:41:03 »
Sorry to hear Sony building gone. I spent a nice afternoon there in 1999 in the high-end room listening to SACD which was just announced. I think it was Kind of Blue, Time Out and Japanese female vocalists!

That evening - Ginza, F501 with 35-70 on Velvia

JJ, thank you for your post.  Even if it captures nice evening atmosphere, I would rather call it "Ginza usual".   :D

Having said that, lots of buildings in Ginza have been renovated or completely rebuilt.  The Nissan building on the left-hand side of this Ginza 4 crossing is no exeption.  The new building is depicted in my "Rubberneck syndrome" thread (the four the image in the initial post):

http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,3627.0.html