Author Topic: To pinch the lens cap without fear  (Read 4154 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
To pinch the lens cap without fear
« on: August 16, 2018, 08:21:29 »
I like the current design of Nikon lens caps.  You can pinch the central part to put or remove the cap comfortably with the hood attached.  The only problem is that sometimes the cap would slip when I pinch the pair of sprung latches and jump against the lens.   :o :o :o  This is no good for the mental health, especially if the front element is close to the edge of the barrel, and you don't use a protection filter.

So, I came up with a solution.  The roll on the left is sticky sand paper (#1500).  I cut two pieces of appropriate size and put them where the fingers pinch.  Works nicely.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
Re: To pinch the lens cap without fear
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 08:35:23 »
Nice  :)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:32:08 »
Thats a very clever solution Akira, thanks for sharing!!
Cheers,
Jan Anne

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:36 »
just make sure that the sand particles wont end up in the glass  :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 09:50:53 »
Nice  :)

Thats a very clever solution Akira, thanks for sharing!!

Bent and Jan.  Glad to be of any help.

just make sure that the sand particles wont end up in the glass  :o :o :o

Rick, thank you for the tip.  Maybe there would be more skin particles.   :o :o :o

The sand paper can be replaced by anything that adds grip to the latches.  You may want to experiment with different materials.  :)  Small pieces of thin rubber sheet should work nicely, too.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 10:01:55 »
My solution is to use a small, coarse 'riffer' file and scrape it along the gripping surface of the release part, causing fine, almost invisible grooves in the plastic.

On occasions I experience slightly greasy fingertips and it makes removing the smaller, new fangled pinch caps a precarious operation especially riding on a contraption which is bouncing about, like the cab of a steam locomotive, a dropped cap is likely to be a lost cap.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:05:09 »
My solution is to use a small, coarse 'riffer' file and scrape it along the gripping surface of the release part, causing fine, almost invisible grooves in the plastic.

On occasions I experience slightly greasy fingertips and it makes removing the smaller, new fangled pinch caps a precarious operation especially riding on a contraption which is bouncing about, like the cab of a steam locomotive, a dropped cap is likely to be a lost cap.

I do similar work on the guitar picks made of celluloid.  :)  That should work well on the lens caps.  Thank you!

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:07:17 »
I am rather guilty of almost never using a lens-shade lenscap but the reason is that I keep filters on all my lenses, all of the time. I always carry a very soft chamois-leather which I find to be easily the best way to wipe/clean the front element - in my case, the protective filter.

But your sandpaper trick is a good one - very ingenious.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:52:27 »
Thank you for the comment, Dave.

After I found that even a high grade protection filter noticeably affected the image quality, especially that of the distant scenes, I'm reluctant to use a protection filter.

But you as fearless landscape photographer would need always to use protection filters against various elements.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 13:58:58 »
Nice practical thinking Akira.

For years, there have been neat strips of "grippy" material you can attach to laptops and other precious hand held devices etc to make them less prone to slipping out of your hands. This was more of an issue in the past when laptops were heavier than current models. Also good for older people whose hands aren't as strong (or become arthritic) and worry about dropping things.

But I still find this stuff useful. It has a textured surface and I reckon would be more grippy than sandpaper (though yours will work well in the wet...). So plenty of options either way.

Thanks Akira - working smarter is always better :)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2018, 02:16:54 »
A great suggestion. 

Here in the US, there is a variety of very fine "open coat" sandpaper, which is light in color,  and which does not shed particles.  It's the kind of thing used for sanding automotive finishes and the like without clogging up.

3M makes one variety in sticky rolls, which may be too long to be practical unless you happen to have some around anyway (it's pretty expensive compared to regular sand paper), but it or something similar should also be available in small packs of sanding disks.  I have a roll of 3M "Tri-m-ite" in 220 grit that works very well, though its stickum is minimal and you have to be pretty careful not to handle the sticky side before putting it on. I just put some on a few caps, and it looks as if it should work just fine.

It may help to degrease the cap a little first to get rid of existing finger grease before sticking.

If you can't find what you need at a hardware store, try an automotive supply store that sells paint and finish products.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 03:16:27 »
Colin, sorry for my belated reply to your post.  Thank you for commenting.

Matthew, thank you for your suggestion.  As I like working on things, modifying and doing easy DIY repair on my musical instruments, various kinds of sandpaper are always near at hand.  But, as you and Colin mentioned, the concept is to make the lens cap more grippy.  Any material to satisfy the required purpose can be used.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 11:31:39 »
very good. thank you
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 12:39:23 »
You are welcome, Frank!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 17:55:37 »
The screw-in metal lens cap is the only true not-accidentally-removable lens cap. All snap-on caps are for camera store/storage use only.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA