Author Topic: Nox, nox, noctem, noctis, nocti, nocte  (Read 3247 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Nox, nox, noctem, noctis, nocti, nocte
« on: August 14, 2018, 19:32:54 »
A thread for *comparing* those 58/something... awaiting the Z-mount version. I do not have the 58/1.4 G, so I'll start with those at hand, namely the Noct Nikkor (AIS) and the Voigtländer 58/1.4.

Here's one of my standard test shots. As you may know, pipe organs are one of my favourite subjects. Shooting them comes with special challenges, such as strong backlighting (not the case here) and shiny parts.

To compare with 50mm lenses using the same picture, see this other thread : http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,7706.msg125085.html#msg125085

First four pics, Noct at 1.2, 1.4, 2.0, 2.8. The result at 1.2 is decent, but 1.4 already brings an increase in contrast, and 2.0 a kick in sharpness. At 2.8, the result is worth the postcard.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Nox, nox, noctem, noctis, nocti, nocte
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 19:36:27 »
Now the Voigtländer 58/1.4 SL II, one of my pet lenses. Set at 1.4, 2.0, 2.8. At 1.4, the contrast is moderate.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 19:54:09 »
Now comparing a 100% crop of the central part. f/1.4, Noct, then Voigt. Noct is significantly better in terms of haze and bleeding (see bleeding on lamp ring structure at the top).
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 19:55:31 »
Now at f/2.0. This time the Voigt looks better, having got rid of the haze. It seems a tad sharper, while the Noct may have been troubled by focus shift.
Airy Magnien

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 20:00:47 »
And finally at f/2.8. The Noct retains a slightly higher contrast, but that may be due to the weather and resulting lighting conditions (overcast, but with fluctuations that morning).
Airy Magnien

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 21:18:52 »
Thanks for the effort. Not owning one of them by now I'm still very well interestet in the outcomes of the comparision.
-/-/-

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 22:59:14 »
That will not help :) At short range (say, 1m-1m50), the Voigt may well beat the Noct... none is definitely better ; only the price is indisputably, ahem, different.

I resisted three times - the first one was cheap (1300 €) but obviously defective ; the second was expensive (3000€) and when the price dropped to 2500, another buyer was faster ; the third one was even more expensive (3500) but I could not bargain it lower than 3000; finally I found one for 2200, an AIS in a good condition, and apparently a decent performer, no bad surprises.

When I did my first chart / brickwall tests at home against the Voigt, I was disappointed, but that was no catastrophe since reselling remained a possibility. In real life, it holds the comparison much better, especially the combination of high contrast and smooth bokeh at large apertures yields "punchy" images, very different from the 50/1.2 for instance.
Airy Magnien

chambeshi

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 09:07:27 »
That will not help :) At short range (say, 1m-1m50), the Voigt may well beat the Noct... none is definitely better ; only the price is indisputably, ahem, different.

I resisted three times - the first one was cheap (1300 €) but obviously defective ; the second was expensive (3000€) and when the price dropped to 2500, another buyer was faster ; the third one was even more expensive (3500) but I could not bargain it lower than 3000; finally I found one for 2200, an AIS in a good condition, and apparently a decent performer, no bad surprises.

When I did my first chart / brickwall tests at home against the Voigt, I was disappointed, but that was no catastrophe since reselling remained a possibility. In real life, it holds the comparison much better, especially the combination of high contrast and smooth bokeh at large apertures yields "punchy" images, very different from the 50/1.2 for instance.
This is a Stimulating thread, Airy. Any chance of you comparing the 58 f1.4G - the Neo-Noct - on organs et al? perhaps hired or loaned?

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 22:57:17 »
Last holiday - at dusk. f/1.2 and f/2.0 respectively, -2/3 EV, it was already very dark outside. Champagne : Jacquesson, cuvée 741. Crystal glass : Baccarat, from my grandpa.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 00:29:16 »
The Baccarat looks elegant and exquisite.   The subtle color of Champagne is well rendered.  It makes me regret deeply that I sold my Noct years ago...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 06:00:49 »
Fortunately you can still get the Champagne for an affordable price.
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 08:11:21 »
Fortunately you can still get the Champagne for an affordable price.

That means there is still hope, maybe?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 14:17:03 »
The voigt Nokton is easily my favourite lens.
Wide open at f/1.4, it's soft but pleasing, the bokeh is bubbly and dreamy. It has a character.
The down side is rather excessive LoCA and as the OP illustrated, bleeding and haloing.

Close it down to f/2, it's really sharp.
I'd like it to focus closer, but c'mon, I'm asking too much at this point. Oh with a raynox it's actually pretty decent!

I just need to use it more. I have a lot of photos which haven't been uploaded.

Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 14:54:11 »
i tested the 58/1.4 from Cosina and i ended up giving it back because i just cannot justify paying for it :o :o :o
that's because i already have plenty of lenses that does roughly the same thing with similar characteristics ::)

its not bad but just not for me.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 16:44:57 »
The 58 1.4G is one of my favorites lenses. This is from a visit to a museum today @1.4 on d700