Author Topic: Nikkor-N 28/2  (Read 4218 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-N 28/2
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2018, 23:19:42 »
I mostly shot slide films and the emulsion side of film was always rather dark with a matte surface, not very reflective. I'm not sure what film is like before it's exposed and developed, an maybe colour films with the orange mask are different. Film records the full spectrum of colours across the entire surface - each colour is recorded on a different layer of emulsion - so you would expect it to have a black surface.

By comparison, digital sensors always seem a little brighter and the glass cover sheet is more reflective. Digital sensors have separate RGB sensors, each absorbs only a limited range of the spectrum, reflecting some of the un-absorbed light - so the overall appearance will never be black resulting in an overall lighter, more reflective surface.

But as you say, either way, this is not likely the cause of the flare in Ricks pictures.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikkor-N 28/2
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2018, 04:11:57 »
hello! sorry for the late reply.

the weird glow may have been condensation or dirt as pointed out. I remember seeing a thumbprint on the rear element of the 28/2 that day when I got home :o :o :o

i tested the 28/2 Ai at the shop last week and it seems that it exhibits the same characteristics as the 28/2N that i have. sharp from minimum focus distance to mid range wide open but not so impressive (but OK) at infinity, everything looks great by 2.8 tho...

i will try to shoot it again this weekend on my F2 and hope its just the thumbprint that caused it. its a lovely lens. ::)

as Birna pointed out. the flare resistance is great but there are some artifacts wide-open at far distances when shot on a bright day or a bright object. i was relieved that the 28/2 behaved the same way. this means my lens is OK.