Author Topic: Nikkor-N 28/2  (Read 4275 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-N 28/2
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 22:10:52 »
The amber coating is not the same as the yellow cast to the glass itself. Many Nikkors from the 1960s have amber coatings on the front element, including the Nikkor-S 35/2.8, Nikkor-S 50/1.4, Nikkor-P 105/2.5, 50-300/4.5 Auto and so on. But when you look through the lens, the glass is clear - no colour cast. In my experience, the Nikkor-S 5.8cm actually has a light pink coating...

As for the 35/1.4, all the early versions with metal focus ring have the same coatings and glass, including the Thorium glass which turns yellow. The change from Nikkor-N to Nikkor-N.C is purely cosmetic, reflecting the multicoating which was already present in the first version.
Note: my database lists Thorium against the prototype, that is intended to be read for all the following versions, I didn't write it for each following sub-version to reduce repetition and due to lack of space, but maybe I should for clarity?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 23:25:02 »
Coating can definitely change the color transmission cast of a lens.  I remember having 2 samples of the Nikkor 85mm/1.8 in hand:  One pre, one post multi coating--(H to H.C), and the multicoated one was observably less yellowish when looking through the lens at a piece of white paper.
However, in the case of the transition from 28/2 N/NC to early K(New Nikkor), I also suspect that the optics were altered between models.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 14:55:36 »
looks like my Nikkor-N has a tendency to do this. halation? spherical aberration? :o :o :o

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2018, 19:07:59 »
Richard, That flare is unexpected, in other words, not normal.  I suspect junk on one or more elements inside or outside.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 22:56:43 »
Not normal. I suspect there is a thin layer of haze one one or more lenses, or a dirty filter. The weather looks too warm for it to be condensation...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 23:05:37 »
In fact, very *non-normal* for the 28/2 of any generation. They all tend to handle flare-prone situations with ease.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 01:31:50 »
As per Roland, what about the possibility of condensation in humid summertime Tokyo?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2018, 04:36:21 »
As per Roland, what about the possibility of condensation in humid summertime Tokyo?

Quite possible.  I would suspect that Rick had just got out of a well air-conditioned place?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2018, 05:32:16 »
That seems likely ... Rick knows his lenses too well to use one with haze... :o

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2018, 04:01:35 »
thanks for the replies.

I got sick again, 2nd time this month so i didnt reply earlier :o :o :o i hate this weather with intermitent raining and hot spells.

I think the haze comes from under the front element. I cannot clean it because the previous guy probably epoxied the damn thing. I will try again as soon as I get better.

it doesnt come up on digital. these were shot with an F3 by the way ::)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2018, 04:51:11 »
Is it perhaps a camera-issue?

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2018, 06:31:43 »
To add one to the list, my 35 mm f/3.5 PC lens (NK J #104376) has always produced pictures with a slightly warm, yellowish cast.  Looking through it I can convince myself of a pale yellow tint. It seems to become more distinct as I reduce the aperture, but I'm not sure whether that's a perceptual trick as I look at a smaller bright disk (hexagon, actually) against a larger dark background.  The coating reflections are pink.  I can't tell whether the cast is due to coloration of a lens element, or perhaps aging of the adhesive between a couple of the elements?  Lovely lens, by the way.

Cheers,  John

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:00 »

it doesnt come up on digital. these were shot with an F3 by the way ::)
Back reflection from the film? 

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2018, 09:38:52 »
Film is less reflective than digital sensors, that's why some third party lenses which transitioned into the digital era had to have improved coatings on the rear elements.
My best guess is that it is condensation on or in the lens, which just happened to occur when using your F3. If the lens was really like that you'd see it on digital too.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2018, 19:17:06 »
Film is less reflective than digital sensors, that's why some third party lenses which transitioned into the digital era had to have improved coatings on the rear elements.

I disagree, with a caveat:
I expect that digital sensors are more reflective only on a strict angle of incidence/angle of reflection basis, due to the glossy plano glass surface of the sensor assembly.
Film is more reflective on a diffuse basis. The last color film I saw was a medium beige-tan in color. 
It seems apparent that one could get more diffuse bounce back from a medium tan, but non-glossy surface film surface than a dark blue-green digital sensor surface.
Imagine one had a choice of two 1 X 1 meter bounce cards:  One made of digital sensor, and one made of Fujifilm color negative film.  The film one would be a better reflector.
I agree that the probable cause of the haziness in Rick's shots is internal junk/condensation on the glass.