Author Topic: Nikkor-N 28/2  (Read 4259 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Nikkor-N 28/2
« on: August 14, 2018, 02:40:33 »
havent seen anybody talking about this masterpiece :o :o :o

I heard a few people saying that the Nikkor-N performs better than the Ai and Ai-S, can anybody confirm this?

looks like Nikon changed the design of the optics a bit after all...the one I have is yellow with atomic lens...while I dont see any yellowish thorium glass on later models ::)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikkor-N 28/2
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 03:09:52 »
I think I have old Nikon Sales manuals which show the Nikkor-N has slightly different optical dimensions from the K (New Nikkor) and AI versions. But they are very similar.

The Nikkor-N 35/1.4 also had a similar minor change in spacing, curvature and glass material when upgraded to the K version. As you know, the the Nikkor-N 35/1.4 has slightly radioactive glass which turns yellow over time. I haven't head that the Nikkor-N 28/2 has the same problem.

The AI-S 28/2 has a closer focus limit than the AI and other previous versions, so it is possible the optics were revised again although they remain very similar. The drawings I have are not detailed enough to confirm one way or the other. It's also possible Nikon kept the optics the same and simply extended the focus/CRC range a bit further. Some reviewers suggest the AI version may be slightly better, but it's hard to say if it's sample variation or if the optics really did change.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 03:22:30 »
i am not sure whether a change in optics was necessary if a lens was to focus close. I do realize that the CRC will have to be re-calibrated. I did that once and my lens was tack-sharp at minimum focusing distance but was so-so at from 2m and further :o :o :o maybe I should recalibrate this when i have the time?  ::)

my 28/2NC is yellowish. i was surprised to see that to be honest ::) it's on the 6th or 7th element and the 3rd I think

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:06:18 »
How far are the lens elements yellowed?  So far as I'm aware, the initial 35/1.4 was the only F mount Nikkor to use thoriated elements.

I've heard that the high refractive index glasses in earlier days had yellowish tint.  The Nikkor-N 24/2.8 C that I used years ago rendered the images noticeably yellower than the newer ones.

I had the last version (with SIC) of Ais 28/2.0 which didn't show any yellowish hue.  I have tried Bjørn's Ai 28/2.0 K, but didn't detect any yellowish hue.  I cannot speak about the sharpness as I haven't compared them in this regard.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 04:09:30 »
looks a bit like "piss" or CC Lemon, sorry for the use of words but thats the only thing i can think of :o :o :o

the one closer to the center is the most yellowish ::)

i should have taken more pictures :(

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 04:23:51 »
i also read somewhere about a comparison on the 3 versions and the NC has a yellowish tint according to him ::)
it's not as obvious as my 35/1.8RF in case you are curious :o :o :o that thing is also an "atomic lens" as what some people will call it here in Japan

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 04:34:34 »
If the element is convex, the center should be yellower.

I've heard that a thoriated element will turn to rather brown like bancha-tea, but your lens looks yellower than the 24/2.8 N C that I had.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 04:49:16 »
If the element is convex, the center should be yellower.

I've heard that a thoriated element will turn to rather brown like bancha-tea, but your lens looks yellower than the 24/2.8 N C that I had.

yes. not amber but a lighter tint of yellow :o :o :o

it looked uniformly yellow by the way

i really should have taken better pictures of it last weekend. I had a few hours to work on my lenses because it rained. the humidity is crazy here, even too much for somebody like me who came from SE Asia  ::)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 07:09:36 »
All 28/2 NC's that I have ever seen since the early 1980's have a yellowish tint that the Ai/AiS units do not have. Many older lens designs from all manufacturers are more yellowish than modern designs. So, a lens can certainly be yellow without being atomic.

I had an NC version before digital, as well as a couple different AiS's, and I always felt that the NC was 'sharper' on edges and small details.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 07:19:27 »
All 28/2 NC's that I have ever seen since the early 1980's have a yellowish tint that the Ai/AiS units do not have. Many older lens designs from all manufacturers are more yellowish than modern designs. So, a lens can certainly be yellow without being atomic.

I had an NC version before digital, as well as a couple different AiS's, and I always felt that the NC was 'sharper' on edges and small details.

probably the coating?  :o :o :o

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 09:19:27 »
My 28/2 NC also has pale yellow glass, easy to see if you take the caps off, open the aperture up and look through the rear onto a white sheet of paper. It looks fairly uniform from side to side, but difficult to judge due to the contrast between the black lens and bright light coming through the lens.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 09:42:52 »
My 28/2 NC also has pale yellow glass, easy to see if you take the caps off, open the aperture up and look through the rear onto a white sheet of paper. It looks fairly uniform from side to side, but difficult to judge due to the contrast between the black lens and bright light coming through the lens.

do you think its thoriated? my atomic lens look a bit amber and "rich" for the lack of words :o :o :o

i initially thought it was the coating but my Nikkor-S doesnt make the tissue underneath look white. this is what got my attention when I was cleaning mine, i noticed that the white tissue looked yellowish under some of the elements  ::)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2018, 15:42:45 »
Both my 28/2.0 NC (nbr. 315331) and 35/1.4 N (nbr. 360816) have a amber looking coating, but as you look through the lenses they have a yellow cast. The 35 has it stronger and is definitely a "thorium" lens.
Chris Dees

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2018, 18:41:34 »
Both my 28/2.0 NC (nbr. 315331) and 35/1.4 N (nbr. 360816) have a amber looking coating, but as you look through the lenses they have a yellow cast. The 35 has it stronger and is definitely a "thorium" lens.

Chris, if your 35/1.4 with that serial number, Roland would have to revise the section for the lens on his website.  But it would be hard for me to believe that many thoriated 35/1.4 was made...

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2018, 18:46:21 »
Probably also valid for the Nikkor-S  5.8cm/1.4  It also has an amber looking coating.