Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 120651 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2018, 11:47:28 »
There are no precise data in the press release I received on the Z Noct. My guess is it will weigh somewhere between 1 and 2 kg.

I also had an in-depth study of the EXIF specification to see how the f/0.95 aperture would be registered.  Typically aperture settings and maximum aperture are presented in APEX (Av) form such as

Av = 2 log2 (fnumber)

and encoded into two hex digits, meaning that f/1 is represented as 0x00. F-numbers below 1 will necessitate a negative APEX value for which format the makers need to agree on. The Z cameras themselves could just put the value into the private MakerNote segment, though.

Although f/0.95 sounds impressive, in terms of "lens speed" this is just 1/6 EV faster than f/1.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2018, 11:59:07 »

CIPA battery life for both Z6 and Z7 is 330 frames according to the DPreview table, so expect to carry a lot of batteries. Not unexpected, as there is just so much manufacturers can do with power consumption given a set of available components.  It is better than the AW1 (220) that I can relate to, but AW1 has a built in flash that will push the number down.
Øivind Tøien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2018, 12:03:48 »
Reminds me of the good old D1 series battery performance,,, arghhh  ::)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2018, 12:09:37 »
Nikon UK quoted much higher battery performance attained under field testing than the CIPA figures indicate.

There will be a new battery pack or grip with double batteries thus increasing shooting capacity markedly. What the end result in terms of number of frames per charge turns out to be can only be evaluated when I get the review camera. My D500 has a surprising thirst for power and I rarely get more than 300 frames per battery with that one thus putting the Zs into the same bracket. Even the humble Df rarely goes beyond 400 frames per charge in my hands.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2018, 12:15:02 »
Would be nice if you have one at Photokina.  :)

Das ist doch mal ein Grund, zur Photokina zu gehen!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2018, 12:28:14 »
Sure. We'll be there on the 28th. If memory serves I owe you a beer. Perhaps they at least have a prototype or mock-up of the new Noct. Which, incidentally, I already have pre-ordered.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2018, 13:06:43 »
still hoping that we get a cheaper version with no EVF :o :o :o

An optical rangefinder variant would be nice... ::) (Forgive me. I'm doing it again.)

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2018, 13:10:21 »
As to future adapters, I'm pretty convinced Chinese manufacturers already are busy programming their CNC machinery for a plethora of <brand X>-Z adapters. They might rely on the camera falling back to a default metering mode with no lens connectivity is present, as it is unlikely third-party adapters provide the required electronics.

My sentiments, exactly.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2018, 13:16:36 »
Sure. We'll be there on the 28th. If memory serves I owe you a beer. Perhaps they at least have a prototype or mock-up of the new Noct. Which, incidentally, I already have pre-ordered.

The mock-up or the beer?  ;D 8) ::)
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2018, 13:17:26 »
The Z Noct -- of course :D

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2018, 13:38:59 »
While the quasi obsolescence of the Af-D lenses was not entirely unexpected, and a bit disappointing as I've lost my last practical reason for not investing in 21st Century glass, I'm seeing in the Z-bodies a form factor that should mate well with ancient Nikon bellows and the attendant lenses scavenged from all manner of enlargers, projectors, copiers and Cold War machines. Should be fun.

Geomiljo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2018, 14:03:55 »
Hi!

Can't find info about AA-filters, but I suppose there is one on the Z6-sensor?

/Johan L

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2018, 14:14:01 »
Hi!

Can't find info about AA-filters, but I suppose there is one on the Z6-sensor?

/Johan L

Nikon Press quote:

A backside illumination CMOS sensor without an Optical Low Pass Filter, with focal-plane phase-detection AF pixels, has been adopted for both the Z 7 and the Z 6.
Erik Lund

Geomiljo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2018, 14:26:06 »

Nikon Press quote:

A backside illumination CMOS sensor without an Optical Low Pass Filter, with focal-plane phase-detection AF pixels, has been adopted for both the Z 7 and the Z 6.

Aha! So as far as I understand, except for the resolution, and number of focus points, the Z6 and Z7 are very similar. Hard to understand the difference in price, but good news if 24 MP is enough. Z6 seems almost cheap... maybe time to preorder...

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2018, 14:27:08 »
In one of the live presentations this morning, the Nikon Exec spelled out the S Series denote the top quality lenses. So it seems "S" updates "Gold-Ring"

I had thought it might be a reminiscence to the old S rangefinder line
Wolfgang Rehm