Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 118930 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2018, 09:54:42 »
still hoping that we get a cheaper version with no EVF :o :o :o

I know many people would like to know how Leica M lenses perform on the new Z also ;)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2018, 09:55:20 »
How does it work if no Ai tab is present? Thinking of non CPU modified lenses.

As I didn't have any such lenses with me, this is a little speculative on my part. There is a stop-down lever inside the FTZ adapter but no aperture follower. Thus the camera assumes either the lens has a CPU and can be controlled from the camera side (valid for all AF/AFI/AIP/AFS/G/P/E and CPU-modified lenses), or it is entered in the non-CPU list (and selected therefrom), or (and this is the speculative part) it will confuse the camera's meter as the Z thinks the lens is set wide open thus meters at full aperture, but the aperture will close to the set (and unknown) value when the exposure is made.

Sorry if the above seems convoluted, as I'm a little sleep-deprived at present. When I get the review sample (Z7 likely) these aspects of course will receive in-depth attention.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2018, 10:00:13 »
As to future adapters, I'm pretty convinced Chinese manufacturers already are busy programming their CNC machinery for a plethora of <brand X>-Z adapters. They might rely on the camera falling back to a default metering mode with no lens connectivity is present, as it is unlikely third-party adapters provide the required electronics.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2018, 10:07:48 »
One aspect important to me got no preliminary answer at the press pre-release event. The Z cameras do have some kind of GPS support, as clearly indicated in the menu systems by the "Location" entries just like my Df and other recent Nikons. However, how GPS (or NMEA streams) enter the camera was unclear to all Nikon reps i pestered on that issue. Hopefully there is a possibility of using the USB remote control port just as my Foolography GPS module operates on my Df. I did not like the hints about a possible Snapbridge connectivity via Wi-Fi as this surely draws a lot of extra power plus relies on an external telephony service we know not always can be present (unlike external GPS/Glonass receivers transmitting to a camera receiver via Blutooth and having their own power source).

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2018, 10:10:19 »
The f/1.8S lenses are new designs with apperantly a focus on better performance compared to their F-mount cousins; good to see that next to the 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 the 20/1.8, 24/1.8 and 85/1.8 are coming too.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2018, 10:11:21 »
The only odd thing that I see is Nikons new naming and identification marking of their new Lenses maybe I just didn't find out what S-Line is or stands for:

Naming is: S-Line and Z series,,,

Road map: S-Line NIKKOR 58mm 1:0.95 S Noct

On the lens engraving front: Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct

Lens barrel 58/0.95 S and instead of the old 'gold plaques' a swift handwritten font Noct that looks very classy - Nice
Erik Lund

chambeshi

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2018, 10:14:50 »
The only odd thing that I see is Nikons new naming and identification marking of their new Lenses maybe I just didn't find out what S-Line is or stands for:

Naming is: S-Line and Z series,,,

Road map: S-Line NIKKOR 58mm 1:0.95 S Noct

On the lens engraving front: Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct

Lens barrel 58/0.95 S

In one of the live presentations this morning, the Nikon Exec spelled out the S Series denote the top quality lenses. So it seems "S" updates "Gold-Ring"

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2018, 10:16:32 »
Nah. "S" as in AiS, meaning a linear aperture. The reps told us that as they got a direct question from the audience.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2018, 10:21:43 »
Interesting to see that there will be Nikon branded 120GB XQD card..

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2018, 10:25:31 »
Nah. "S" as in AiS, meaning a linear aperture. The reps told us that as they got a direct question from the audience.

sorry, i got confused. which one were you referring to? :o :o :o

i want to know more about the other "S", that is S-mount. i may make my own from spare parts ::)

fish_shooter

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Salmonography.com
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2018, 10:47:54 »

I know many people would like to know how Leica M lenses perform on the new Z also ;)

This I will be doing. Just will need an adapter which I expect we will soon see. BTW I ordered the Z6 as high ISO is of importance. The MTFs are on the Global site and look impressive.
https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/z-mount/z_24-70mmf4s/spec.htm

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:24 »
As I didn't have any such lenses with me, this is a little speculative on my part. There is a stop-down lever inside the FTZ adapter but no aperture follower. Thus the camera assumes either the lens has a CPU and can be controlled from the camera side (valid for all AF/AFI/AIP/AFS/G/P/E and CPU-modified lenses), or it is entered in the non-CPU list (and selected therefrom), or (and this is the speculative part) it will confuse the camera's meter as the Z thinks the lens is set wide open thus meters at full aperture, but the aperture will close to the set (and unknown) value when the exposure is made.
If the camera assumes the lens is AI-S, you could set the aperture via the camera - the lens would need to be set to minimum aperture (eg f22) so the full range of apertures is available. But this wouldn't be practical for AI and pre-Ai lenses with the non-linear aperture action.

Another possibility is that the camera assumes the lens is AI-S, when the picture is taken the camera stops the lens down, takes another stopped-down meter reading and adjusts the shutter speed (or ISO) to compensate for any discrepancy. This is how the FA worked with AI lenses.

Of the adapter somehow disables the mechanical aperture linkage when non-CPU lenses are used so pure stop-down metering (using the lens aperture ring) is possible - permanent full-time DOF preview.

Will be interesting to see how the camera/adapter actually work with AI and pre-AI lenses...

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2018, 11:04:15 »
Why start with a 6? Does it mean there will be no D6? Is this the end of the D dinasty?
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2018, 11:17:03 »
Part of the reason is this

I guess 1.4 kg of lens on an 800g body?

What are the real data?
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/