Author Topic: Revisiting Australia  (Read 13166 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Revisiting Australia
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 00:29:41 »
I'm surprised the  charger connects to USB, how long does it take to charge the enel15 ?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:37 »
Have lots of fun there. Looking forward to your images and stories!

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 01:08:01 »
Haven't charged an empty battery yet but in the pic posted before we can see that the UNK1 is charging at 6W (8.2Vx0.728A), if you take roughly a 25% charging loss into account it should be able to charge an EN-EL15 with an 14Wh capacity from empty to full in three hours or so.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2018, 01:28:17 »
Enjoy the trip Jan!

I'm in Melbourne but not really too active on here these days, but I'd definitely would be up for meeting up if you happen to make your way down to here. I was actually in Amsterdam last month.

From memory, there's a few others on here who are also from Melbourne (Hugh_3170, arthurking83).
Hi Will, thanks for the offer but was kinda planning on driving North from Sydney as I have only 5 days of driving around in a camper but must admit that those plans aren't set in stone yet (though the camper has just been booked).

Definitely wanna see and photograph some whales with their calfs but for the rest I'll go with the flow :)

I lived for a month in St Kilda btw, saw Jos Verstappen park his F1 car in the gravel in Albert Park (now his son Max is racing in F1), worked a few days at the Melbourne car show selling merchandise on the Ford stand and of course cruised around on the boulevard with my tuned Holden Commodore 202.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2018, 05:24:24 »
J.A., cool.  Business Class should help with the carry-on  :) , and travelling on other peoples money (OPM) is always more fun.   Have a great trip.  I've not been to Aus since 2 months in Aus and NZ in 1971.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2018, 10:20:33 »
So far I’m impressed with the litle Nitecore UNK1 charger, besides the ability to charge the EN-EL15 with any USB A charger its half the size of the Nikon wall charger while it can charge two batteries instead of just one. As I've been using Nitecore AA/AAA/18650 chargers for years now without any issues I'm also pretty confident it will serve me for years to come but time will tell.

It also provides a lot more info about the charging progress, both in bars for dummies as well as in Voltage for those familiar with li-ion charging (8.4V is full, if it doesnt reach this voltage anymore its time for the bin). It also shows the temperature and the amount of amps the battery is being charged.

Though not applicable for me (yet) the UNK1 can also charge EN-EL14 batteries on the backside simultaniously with the EN-EL15, should be very handy for those with both a D500 or D8x0 in combination with for example a Df. The recently announced UNK2 can charge two EN-EL15 batteries btw but I couldnt find it in the shops yet.

The attached USB A cable is a double etched sword, yes it can never be lost but it can also never be replaced with an USB-C cable for future use with USB-C chargers (without adapters).

Below some snapshots of the UNK1 together the Nikon charger for size reference.

I also see a Hahnel ProCube2 but none of them will charge an en-el20a from the 1 aw1 i think.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 13:27:06 »
JA,  thank you i saw that too.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 15:38:36 »
D500 plus 200-500VR vs a7RII plus Canon 100-400IS MKII.

Heavier and bulkier but also a longer focal length and the AF is a lot faster and way more predictable.

Its good to be back :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 16:24:37 »
Congratulations with your latest purchases, Jan Anne :D :D

NB: If you plan on drowning the D500, do bring a hair dryer. A towel drying rack is not standard in all hotel rooms.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2018, 16:55:35 »
JA, looking forward to seeing the results!
You were never gone, as far as I am concerned. But if you feel like it, welcome back :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2018, 20:12:24 »
D500 plus 200-500VR vs a7RII plus Canon 100-400IS MKII.

Heavier and bulkier but also a longer focal length and the AF is a lot faster and way more predictable.

Its good to be back :)

Just sell that stuff on the right..  ;D

Have a good trip.
Chris Dees

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2018, 05:19:08 »

I'll land coming Saturday evening btw and will stay in the Coogee Beach Hotel for a few days including meeting up with Mongo which I'm really looking forward to, work starts on the 13th and I'll fly back home on the 17th.

Melbourne is about 900klms south of Sydney(about 10 hrs drive .. and I don't fly! :p) .. and I'm always trying to find any half decent excuse to go for a drive.
My major issue is I'm not a big fan of 'big smokes' .. and the bigger, the less enjoyable I find them.
I've done Sydney a few times now .. caught up with my main man Mongo a few years back to finalise a short deal I couldn't pass up on too.

But if you had the time to head west, into the nicer, less populated, areas I'm more interested in, I'd try harder to take the time off work.

So you're in Sydney between 4/8 and 17/8, but busy between 13-17th.

So does that leave you with 5-12th as free time to yourself?
if so, unfortunately I'm now all tied up with commitments with work and kids. 18th and beyond is where I could manage to take some time.
Arthur

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 10:46:42 »
Congratulations on the new set! Enjoy ;)

Erik Lund