Author Topic: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…  (Read 11747 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The F mount adapter quality will be the key part…
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 11:39:36 »
Well, first we have to ascertain whether having a CPU improves the interoperability of older lenses on this new camera.

If that happens I would also be interested.
I have some lenses that I feel I could chip myself (200 AIS micro), but for some I would need the help of Dr Lens (AIS 50/1.2)
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 12:00:06 »

Funny how new developments can lead to need for old school chippingJust for the record, for the AIS 50mm f/1.2 Dandelion CPU is the best/only option,,,  ;)
Erik Lund

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 14:55:51 »
Funny how new developments can lead to need for old school chippingJust for the record, for the AIS 50mm f/1.2 Dandelion CPU is the best/only option,,,  ;)

That's interesting. I have recently discovered that I have a discarded dandelion in my cupboard, but sadly no Nikon camera to set it up.
Simone Tomasi

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 23:39:09 »
Put the lens and dandelion in a box for Denmark or maybe Netherlands around Photokina ;) and a small fee ;)
Erik Lund

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2018, 01:41:00 »
The new adapter will be a key element in a near future titanic war against Sony. New "Z" lenses (let me call them like this) will take a years and years to develop and make. Sony will not stay and wait for anyone who wants to re-take the market. So this adapter must work fast and absolutely reliable with any Nikkors modifications, old or new ones. It is very possible, one more adapter AF modification for old MF lenses. No room for mistakes, otherwise new camera will stay on the shelves.

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 12:31:59 »
Lets hope it does not have the patented Pellicle  mirror
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 17:27:30 »
Lets hope it does not have the patented Pellicle  mirror

The pellicle mirror was a solution for a different time. I’d be really surprised if they went with that approach as there is very little room for it, it decreases light hitting the sensor and this is described as a “mirrorless” camera.

Nikon did not want to enter the mirrorless market with something which was a compromise so I expect it will meet or beat the current competition in many areas that photographers are concerned about. I think they are prioritizing image quality and ergonomics.

pete

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 20:06:22 »
I have the Df and D850 now.  For me to consider the mirrorless, the adapter will need to work with my AI and Non-AI lenses.  I have already 'chipped' many of them but some like the Noct do not have clearance for a chip.  My AF lenses are mostly used on the D850 so the mirrorless would need to replace the Df.
Pete

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 16:47:40 »
I have chipped two Noct-Nikkor 58mm 1.2 with CPU from Bjørn. So definitely it can be done.
Erik Lund

Stany Buyle

• NG Member
  • I used to think Nikon forever but now Canon user..
    • nikonuser.info
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 18:56:52 »
I have chipped two Noct-Nikkor 58mm 1.2 with CPU from Bjørn. So definitely it can be done.
Hi Eric!
When I picked up digital photography back in 2003 I was learning a lot on Bjorn's site (naturfotograf.com) and I think I remember he explained about chipping old lenses. Do you know where to find that link, if it ever existed?
Thanks,
Stany

Seapy

• NG Member
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2018, 01:32:30 »
Unfortunately no aperture lever on the adapter so no way the camera can record what aperture was used or to do wide open metering.
Not a deal breaker, but it would have been nice to have an adapter model that could tell what aperture was being used.

Sigh . . .
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 07:38:45 »
Indeed no metering on unchipped, Ai lenses.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 09:26:03 »
Indeed no metering on unchipped, Ai lenses.

We don't know that yet. No reviewer has tested this aspect to the best of my knowledge. With a chipped lens, metering works perfectly for AiS lenses and with less accuracy, for pre-AiS (in fact, metering is still perfect but the lens response when it stops down is non-linear thus different from what the camera expects).

Even a non-chipped lens could work if the basic data is set in the non-CPU lens menu. I will of course delve into this once my review camera(s) arrive.

A modified FTZ adapter with a break-out circuit is easily envisioned and would allow metering with any lens that mounts onto it. Erik made such a solution for my FT-1 adapter for the 1 series Nikon.

Lens chipping: http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,32.0.html

Almost all F-mount lenses can be chipped. Even the Noct-Nikkor and the 50/1.2*
* (AiS only for the 50/1.2).

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 10:21:53 »
Nice red rear lens caps :-)
Wolfgang Rehm