Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 43401 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2018, 09:21:01 »
Really like that Nikon is pushing their legendary brand names like Nikkor, Noct-Nikkor, Nikonos, etc towards the new mirrorless platform and do hope the products that will be launched under these names will do them justice.

Also like the strong linkage to the Ai-S lenses in the latest video as this strengthens the hope for the proper support for manual focus lenses, something Sony never did even though they had 5 years to do so.

Lens wise I do hope a fast 35mm is in the pipeline as this is my bread and butter lens, 1.4 would be sufficient but preferable a 1.2 of even 0.95 would be awesome and hard to resist.

Cheers,
Jan Anne

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2018, 12:24:32 »
For the F mount, there's Zeiss providing fine manual focus lenses... maybe that's the reason for Nikon neglecting this "niche" so far ? now the new mount may change the equation.
Airy Magnien

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #257 on: August 18, 2018, 13:54:04 »
Just to remind ourselves that Nikon has a long tradition of backwards compatibility. An interoperation exists within all their systems.

Here I put my vintage 25cm f/4 Nikkor-Q (from 1951 !) on Birnas pink Nikon J2.  A span of more than 60 years of camera and optical development is manifested atop my Linn subwoofer. This rather unlikely combination works flawlessly thanks to the CPU-modified N-F tube and the FT-1 adapter. If the bleak weather improves ever so slightly, I'll go all in combining her J2 with my massive 360-1200 ED Nikkor.

I expect similar opportunities to exist with the new Nikon mirrorless that I'll encounter in a few days' time.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #258 on: August 18, 2018, 14:01:11 »
I expect similar opportunities to exist with the new Nikon mirrorless that I'll encounter in a few days' time.

Considering the 2.7x crop factor, Nikon 1 can be more exciting than a FX mirrorless when combined with long lenses...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2018, 14:58:21 »
Maybe I should look into a tweener to mate some of my teletubbies to my V1...

antonoat

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #260 on: August 19, 2018, 23:09:32 »
I shudder to think what that subwoofer could do to camera and lens internals,  brings new meaning to the term "sensor shift" lol.
Tony Oaten

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #261 on: August 20, 2018, 05:08:33 »
Hi Sten and hi Tony, good to see you guys here at NG again :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

will

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #262 on: August 20, 2018, 10:39:17 »
Another new video has been posted by Nikon  :D

https://youtu.be/nIi_p0wLHkM

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #263 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:53 »
I'm confident the new system will be every bit a performer in capable hands, as it will surely disappoint those less involved in actually producing images or, at the very least, acquiring the necessary skill to that end. Hoped for (or truly needed?) features might be absent first offerings and later adopted in future models as demanded. There are already enough blog-postings eschewing  certain "dials", icons or absent buttons, relegating the new camera, or cameras, beneath the dignity of certain erstwhile experts. The rest of us will come to know through demonstration, practical use and trusted opinions if this is "the new brush" needed to better color our world. I still own a Nikon F. And barring any personal hardship, always will. One day I will own a mirror-less, "FX" frame camera. I suspect strongly, it will be a Nikon.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #264 on: August 21, 2018, 18:43:46 »
If the new Z series lenses turn out not to use motor-actuated focus(focus by wire), I will be pleased that the worst possible thing that could have occurred..... did not occur.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #265 on: August 21, 2018, 18:59:27 »
We'll know in a very short time ahead. I'll report whatever focusing method Nikon has opted for in this new system.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2018, 21:41:47 »
I eagerly await your findings. Tjis is a product that can be very useful for my theater work.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2018, 23:32:52 »
Press photos of the real thing is now on NikonRumors:
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/21/breaking-the-first-leaked-press-photo-of-the-nikon-z6-and-z7-mirrorless-cameras.aspx/
Here the Z6 with zoom

Slim focus ring just like the first AF Nikkors back in the day,,, funny they would make that mistake again,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #268 on: August 22, 2018, 00:00:42 »
Slim focus ring just like the first AF Nikkors back in the day,,, funny they would make that mistake again,,,

At least it won't rotate. :D  Also, this is a kit zoom whose user won't really be in need of focus manually.  The AF points should be smaller and denser, and the AF area should be much wider.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #269 on: August 22, 2018, 00:07:37 »
By the way, I'm also intrigued by Canon's total silence for the full-size mirrorless.   ;)