Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44085 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2018, 00:10:05 »
I by far prefer the controls on the Lenovo for editing documents to what is available on Macs. I find the Mac too dependent on gestures whereas there are more physical controls on the Thinkpad and the trackpoint is where my forefingers are when typing so I don't need to move my hand to use the mouse. Perhaps I naively assumed any modern computer is fast enough. Anyway the Thinkpad is brilliant for writing.

All our needs are different and moreover, constantly evolving.  I think that is something we need to be aware of.  This is one reason I am more than happy with my 12Mp D3.  I get images which more than satisfy me, at a price I can afford.

Yet next year I am hoping to add a D810 to my bag... Not for the resolution, more for the ISO and dynamic range. After all the D3 was Nikon's first FX camera, things have moved on, a lot.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2018, 00:21:18 »
D810 is a mighty fine camera and imho there is no need to go above that very high benchmark.
I'm sure you'll love it ;)
Erik Lund

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2018, 00:44:57 »
That's what I thought about the D3, and still do but there can be no denying progress, especially from a first product.

Much as Arthur sees the D850 as a target once it's become superseded by the next 'must have' I am looking for something, not *better* but more suitable, for astro and fine work, which good as it is, the D3 isn't really suited with it's relatively lego block size pixels.  I used the D1 for three years (for those who may not know, the D1 was about 2.6Mp), so the 12Mp D3 is very high resolution by comparison!

I find it hard to imagine what a D810 will be like to work with but I hope to find out...
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2018, 01:21:48 »
My biggest definition camera is the d750 right now and I see no need to get any bigger files. I have been shooting with a d700 today... time will tell.

Nikon opened a micro site for the mirrorless: https://events.imaging.nikon.com/live/en/

Silent shutter and good low light performance? If AF can keep up count me in!

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2018, 05:54:46 »
If we go back to the original subject: how would the upcoming mirrorless fit in your daily practice of photography?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2018, 06:10:46 »
If we go back to the original subject: how would the upcoming mirrorless fit in your daily practice of photography?

Quite well. I carry my camera everyday as I use it to document construction progress among other things. A smaller body would be nice to have. I’m also photographing things at odd angles so an articulated rear display would be helpful in those conditions. Lastly, I’m hopeful that the electronic viewfinder will help me focus in very low light. The dF has been a good camera for me, but I’m thinking seriously of the advantages which it looks that a mirrorless camera will bring.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2018, 06:14:30 »
One of the rumours is that the camera has sensor based image stabilisation. That would be a new feature for Nikon which has relied on lens-based stabilisation (VR). That would breath new life into older lenses without VR.

It is also suggested the new camera is fairly compact but with a good sized grip.

If this is true, and it has good external controls for ISO, shutter speed, exposure compensation etc, and a viewfinder which supports accurate manual focus (maybe focus peaking), it would be an excellent platform for older manual lenses, perhaps better than the Df...

chambeshi

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2018, 09:59:35 »
fyi Enhanced clips and images from the promo video give a slightly better insight into this camera (see also 2 images in the Comments to reveal the layout of the controls):

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/24/more-on-of-the-nikon-mirrorless-camera-teaser.aspx/#more-123810

Overall dimensions look to be about 93mm x 72mm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2018, 10:36:19 »
Estimated height of the body at the grip 72mm and at the viewfinder 93mm,,,
Erik Lund

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2018, 11:06:30 »
That's what I thought about the D3, and still do but there can be no denying progress, especially from a first product.

Much as Arthur sees the D850 as a target once it's become superseded by the next 'must have' I am looking for something, not *better* but more suitable, for astro and fine work, which good as it is, the D3 isn't really suited with it's relatively lego block size pixels.  I used the D1 for three years (for those who may not know, the D1 was about 2.6Mp), so the 12Mp D3 is very high resolution by comparison!

I find it hard to imagine what a D810 will be like to work with but I hope to find out...

Seapy- After reading about the difficulty of processing D850 images, I am rethinking my decision to go with the D850. The D810 and, based on some comments Akira made,  the D750, are now back in the mix. Used D810s can be found on Ebay for around $1250. The D750 is a little less.  I’m not sure whether the increase in iq from my 20mp D500 to a 24mp D750 would get me where I want to be, so I need to read a few reviews  and then perhaps come back and ask some questions before I buy.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2018, 11:34:21 »
Well, I wouldn't say D850 images are "difficult" to process; you need a fast computer with sufficient memory and one which the software that you use is efficient on (interestingly it would seem that not all theoretically powerful computers are efficient at this task). And plenty of SSD storage. I bought my laptop based on other criteria and that wasn't a success for 45MP files. A Macbook Pro has been suggested as being fast enough with Lightroom. Also it depends on how many images are to be processed.  I shoot way too much; this is a habit formed during the times when AF was less reliable.

A D750 or D500 are certainly capable.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2018, 11:55:37 »
Seapy- After reading about the difficulty of processing D850 images, I am rethinking my decision to go with the D850. The D810 and, based on some comments Akira made,  the D750, are now back in the mix. Used D810s can be found on Ebay for around $1250. The D750 is a little less.  I’m not sure whether the increase in iq from my 20mp D500 to a 24mp D750 would get me where I want to be, so I need to read a few reviews  and then perhaps come back and ask some questions before I buy.

I think we should be conducting this conversation by PM!  Else the demand (and price) for used D810's is likely to rise ...  ;)  LOL ;D

I have my own issues with processing which I am expecting to raise in another thread...
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2018, 13:18:13 »
One of the rumours is that the camera has sensor based image stabilisation. That would be a new feature for Nikon which has relied on lens-based stabilisation (VR). That would breath new life into older lenses without VR.

It is also suggested the new camera is fairly compact but with a good sized grip.

If this is true, and it has good external controls for ISO, shutter speed, exposure compensation etc, and a viewfinder which supports accurate manual focus (maybe focus peaking), it would be an excellent platform for older manual lenses, perhaps better than the Df...
I hope so. Let's wait and see. ;)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 13:27:32 »
A few interesting thoughts in this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGGbkbyBcR0

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 13:44:50 »
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/