Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44083 times)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2018, 21:40:28 »
Yes. For we are only privy to glimpses of a complex instrument. Nikon engineers will not have missed something so elementary, that weakens their lens mount set for their 2nd century
   Nice said! Looking forward to put my hands on it. I need it very badly, with new AF adapter for old MF lenses. ( BTW, there are 4-lugs bayonet, so, 1 more spring! The mount must be reinforced!).  THX!  LZ

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2018, 07:59:22 »
NikonRumors just posted this, supposedly leaked image of the new camera and what looks like a zoom,,,

IMHO it looks like Frankenstein's monster of cameras  :o :o :o  As we have been fooled before, asian ladies have tiny hands but still it looks huge and like it is compiled out of bits and pieces from various OEM manufactures left over parts.
I'm not even going to state what I think about the look of lens and the lens mount  ::) ::) ::)
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2018, 09:38:53 »
Yeah,,,the weird circle around the lens mount looks odd.  I don't mind the blocky finder housing. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #213 on: August 06, 2018, 10:08:20 »
Awful looks, the lens looks like an entry zoom kitlens.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #214 on: August 06, 2018, 11:47:12 »
Looks like a big Nikon 1 V2.   :o :o :o

IMHO it looks like Frankenstein's monster of cameras  :o :o :o  As we have been fooled before, asian ladies have tiny hands but still it looks huge and like it is compiled out of bits and pieces from various OEM manufactures left over parts.

The size looks similar to that of D750.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #215 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:36 »
it's just a bit bigger than the Sony a7II  :o :o :o

I am an asian man with small hands  ::)

chambeshi

« Reply #216 on: August 06, 2018, 12:50:39 »
Looks like a big Nikon 1 V2.   :o :o :o

The size looks similar to that of D750.
Two approx sets of estimated dimensions. These are derived from scaling of the image in latest (2nd) Nikon teaser from the flash Hotshoe overall Width (= larger set) versus Hotshoe Inner Width across Lugs (=Smaller set).

There is something of a consensus on forums points to a throat diameter of the Z-Mount of 55-57mm.

Countdown to 23rd August....

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #217 on: August 06, 2018, 13:05:00 »
Two approx sets of estimated dimensions. These are derived from scaling of the image in latest (2nd) Nikon teaser from the flash Hotshoe overall Width (= larger set) versus Hotshoe Inner Width across Lugs (=Smaller set).

There is something of a consensus on forums points to a throat diameter of the Z-Mount of 55-57mm.

Countdown to 23rd August....

Thank you for the follow-up.  D750 is 140.5mm wide and 113mm tall.  And its hotshoe is 21mm wide measured with a caliper at the outside of the lug and 19mm inside.  So, my assumption doesn't seem to miss by a mile.   :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2018, 13:32:12 »

Yes very similar to the Sony a7II and also with the viewfinder sticking out from the back it must be very similar to a DSLR in overall thickness  :o
Erik Lund

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2018, 18:29:23 »
Yes very similar to the Sony a7II and also with the viewfinder sticking out from the back it must be very similar to a DSLR in overall thickness  :o
We are close to the point, in the unveiling of an all-new Nikon, when I will yet again be disappointed that Nikon hasn't brought back interchangeable finders.  It'd be technically much easier with a ML than the SLR, but that won't stop them from missing the opportunity. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #220 on: August 06, 2018, 20:15:35 »
On these last pictures, it looks very much like the whole viewfinder could be a removable module?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #221 on: August 06, 2018, 21:45:37 »
On these last pictures, it looks very much like the whole viewfinder could be a removable module?

Shades of Thom Hogan, and his dream of a module based body!  ;)
Carl

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #222 on: August 07, 2018, 13:19:49 »
In the picture the viewfinder appears to be two pieces. But perhaps this is merely a lump tacked on by Nikon to disguise it's true size?
Agree with Erik on the Frankenstein observation.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #223 on: August 07, 2018, 23:44:00 »
I by far prefer the controls on the Lenovo for editing documents to what is available on Macs. I find the Mac too dependent on gestures whereas there are more physical controls on the Thinkpad and the trackpoint is where my forefingers are when typing so I don't need to move my hand to use the mouse. Perhaps I naively assumed any modern computer is fast enough. Anyway the Thinkpad is brilliant for writing.

I whole-heartedly, concur. Furthermore I have been a fairly faithful user of Thinkpad laptop products for nearly twenty years, principally models tailored to business and image-processing, in part due to my early experience with IBM Selectric typewriters and CRT workstations at school and work.

As my own interest in photography evolved during the nascent digital age, I eventually migrated to the Lenovo Thinkpad workstation laptops, to great effect. For several years, the model W500 met my needs; replaced relatively recently by the W530 which, although not the most recent or improved upon offering, I'm still finding a very capable platform, handling 24 megapixel NEF files without issue. (Your mileage may vary -- as we say in the USA.)

I'm sure that whatever form or functionality Nikon's new product reveals, a suitable business-class, professional usage, Lenovo, Apple, HP etc mobile device will meet that challenge.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #224 on: August 08, 2018, 01:32:48 »
I noticed the new mount still will use the space-saving lateral contact points camera-lens. Thus available space inside the camera bayonet is maximised, which should help designing fast lenses.

That, and facilitate the development of OEM and aftermarket, legacy-mount [i.e. Nikon F 1959] lens adapters. With that thought, my imagination whistfully conjures the far off sound of unnumbered Dremel rotary tools, being carried by the wind. CNC router and 3D printers, too? Hmm...!