Author Topic: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)  (Read 44087 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:02 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZldXR313k4M

The 25th falls on the 100th anniversary day.  So, everything might be disclosed shortly.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Arrival of Nikon mirrorless (finally!)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:28:53 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZldXR313k4M

The 25th falls on the 100th anniversary day.  So, everything might be disclosed shortly.

Form factor looks to be rather modern. I’m a fan of boxy retro design, but can understand why they would let ergonomics rule. Looking forward to finding out more!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 08:34:35 »
Looks like a huge mount or a very small camera body  :o

Looks actually like MF,,, Square sensor  ::)  pure speculation  ;D
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:46:44 »
Form factor looks to be rather modern. I’m a fan of boxy retro design, but can understand why they would let ergonomics rule. Looking forward to finding out more!

As strong believer of "form follows function" concept, I would prefer the ergonomics design, so long as it makes sense.

The vintage film cameras do look beautiful to me, too, but I think that is simply because they followed the function of a camera in which you need to put a roll of film and wind it.

Looks like a huge mount or a very small camera body  :o

Looks actually like MF,,, Square sensor  ::)  pure speculation  ;D

That's the rumored "Z" mount, I guess?  The square sensor is highly unlikely, sorry to say.  But a Hasselblad V style square sensor camera with the square LCD surrounded by the foldable hood on top of the body would be nice!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 09:35:32 »
the spot does not really share a lot of information???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 10:59:52 »
the spot does not really share a lot of information???

Frank, that's exactly how the "teaser" is meant to be!   :D

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 11:01:08 »
I am hopeful, although not optimistic, this will bring some D850s into the used market. It would be helpful if the new camera had a higher megapixel count than the D850.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 12:14:11 »
I will wait and see. Currently the D850 seems heavy to me even without the battery grip
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 12:22:21 »
I am hopeful, although not optimistic, this will bring some D850s into the used market. It would be helpful if the new camera had a higher megapixel count than the D850.

Arthur, that would happen, if ever, a while after the release of the equivalent mirrorless model...

I will wait and see. Currently the D850 seems heavy to me even without the battery grip

The camera should be much lighter than D850.  I'm curious about the bulk of the lenses.  The lens in this teaser could be the rumored f0.95 one.   :o

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 12:32:26 »
I'm pretty sure people will hold on to their D850 for a long time :)

The first set of lenses will most like be fixed focal length f/1.4 I agree with NikonRumors on that  :D

Noct if ever,,, much later,,, true the Z-mount is capable of fast lenses but i'm pretty sure high ISO capability is 'ruining' more or less the need for a Noct as the first lens,,,
Erik Lund

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 13:34:31 »
Arthur, that would happen, if ever, a while after the release of the equivalent mirrorless model...

I am a very patient, and thrifty, individual. . . .

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 13:47:14 »
I'm pretty sure people will hold on to their D850 for a long time :)

The D850 is a very large and bulky camera, heavy and inconvenient to tote around. The mirrorless will be smaller, lighter and much easier to carry. Only a true fossil would want a D850 after the mirrorless body is introduced. . .That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. ;D
Your true fossil,
AD

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 13:49:19 »
The D850 is a very large and bulky camera, heavy and inconvenient to tote around. The mirrorless will be smaller, lighter and much easier to carry. Only a true fossil would want a D850 after the mirrorless body is introduced. . .That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. ;D

I am a happy fossil!!!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 14:00:08 »

We just disagree  ;D

Many of us don't need a smaller camera, actually by far I prefer a larger camera for most work.

By the look of the teaser the lenses are huge anyway, they will most like not be the size of Leica M lenses,,,  8)
Erik Lund

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 14:14:02 »

We just disagree  ;D

Many of us don't need a smaller camera, actually by far I prefer a larger camera for most work.

We don’t disagree as much as you might think, but I am still hopeful many D850 users WILL discern a need for the new camera and will want to sell their D850s to help fund the purchase. As I said, a higher megapixel count sensor in the new camera would be helpful in driving that process. We shall see. I’d very much like to pick up a used D850 at a reasonable price. At my current age, with both the D500 and D850, I doubt I’d ever need another camera. Or, at least I’d be able to restrain myself. :)