Author Topic: strange login behaviour  (Read 18332 times)

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Re: strange login behaviour
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:07 »
And if all things fail you have three admins present at the upcoming NG event for "onsite" support :)

;D ;D ;D
Hans Cremers

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 13:11:04 »
I have also suddenly problems with logging in. It will not accept my username and/or password (which is the same as it always has been). To get in I need the site to send me a mail with an activation link, where I set a new password (the same as I have used previously). 
No changes in browser or operating systems. Firefox and Win7. Nikongear.net is allowed to set cookies. Adblock active.
Bjørn Jørgensen

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 17:09:56 »
Hans - thanks!!

The coincidental thing here is that I'm using the identical setup - except I am a couple of OS behind you - still on 10.8.5 on my MacPro.

Your info leaves me baffled however. Why do I never experience Login difficulties with this setup, but you do????

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 10:11:21 »
I have also suddenly problems with logging in. It will not accept my username and/or password (which is the same as it always has been). To get in I need the site to send me a mail with an activation link, where I set a new password (the same as I have used previously). 
No changes in browser or operating systems. Firefox and Win7. Nikongear.net is allowed to set cookies. Adblock active.

I had the exact same experience on mi iMac the other day. And I did exactly the same, i reset the same password.
It was really strange because it happened at home where I opened up my mac book and didn't have any problems...

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 13:30:46 »
... Why do I never experience Login difficulties with this setup, but you do????

I can only guess. Do you by any chance have a different value than "Forever" in the duration box on the home page login part? I have the feeling that plays a role somehow. When i'm directed to the separate login page, the value changes to an integer of minutes to remain logged on. I'd be curious if that's controlled by a setting somewhere in the config of the site.
Hans Cremers

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 06:03:23 »
The session length can be chosen from the drop-down menu (see small arrow) next to the login boxes in the upper-right corner. The choices are 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and Forever. If you do nothing, the session length setting defaults to "Forever", and the separate login page will show "Minutes to stay logged in" as a value of 3153600. (To see all of that value, you must scroll within the little value box.)

Therefore, we see that our forum software thinks that Forever means 3153600 Minutes = 52560 Hours = 2190 Days = 6 Years. In internet time it's probably true that 6 years is pretty close to forever in terms of trying to stay logged in.

Next time you experience some kind of login problem, please try clearing out any Nikongear cookies as well as clearing your browser cache.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 22:21:54 »
The session length can be chosen from the drop-down menu (see small arrow) next to the login boxes in the upper-right corner. The choices are 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, 1 month and Forever. If you do nothing, the session length setting defaults to "Forever", and the separate login page will show "Minutes to stay logged in" as a value of 3153600. (To see all of that value, you must scroll within the little value box.)

Therefore, we see that our forum software thinks that Forever means 3153600 Minutes = 52560 Hours = 2190 Days = 6 Years. In internet time it's probably true that 6 years is pretty close to forever in terms of trying to stay logged in.

Next time you experience some kind of login problem, please try clearing out any Nikongear cookies as well as clearing your browser cache.

When i do that, indeed the first box states "Forever", but when it errors (doesn't always do that), it indeed goes to the next login page, but the minutes to stay logged in then defaults to 60, not the internet forever.

While i've cleared out my cache multiple times already, i will do it again to see whether we can get this solved somehow.

Thanks again for sticking with it.
Hans Cremers

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 22:29:13 »
Hans, it is possible that after the error happens, the 60 that shows up in the Login Minutes box represents the default value of the Nikongear Login Cookie. This is why I suggested clearing Cookies in addition to clearing Cache after the error.

This does have me a bit puzzled because, as mentioned above somewhere,
I'm using pretty much the same setup as you.  :)

Now I am wondering if you run any kind of Firewall app or Virus Prevention app on your Mac?

Intermittent errors are just the worst thing to try to solve, aren't they??  ???

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2015, 13:16:41 »
May I chime in with another log-in problem?

For unknown reasons I am repeatedly logged off when accessing NG-R via iOS device. Even though I chose log-in time "forever", I have to log in again whenever the page reloads (e.g.after switching browser tabs making iOS Safari reload tabs, probably due to RAM restraints).

I tried it several times using the "central" log-in as well as the one in the top right corner. IOS settings actually enable password safing and it works perfectly normal on other sites. Newest iOS version installed.

No problems so far in desktop browser. I use the forum on OS X and iOS devices. Problem occurs on both my iPhone 5 and iPad 2.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Günther
Guenther Something

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 18:28:57 »
That's interesting!
I wonder if you are getting an Unused Session Timeout in conflict with the Login Cookie Timeout?
ADDED LATER:  No, this cannot happen.

I will see if I can replicate this on my iPad under Safari.
And I will check the settings for Timeouts.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06:55 »
Günther --

On my (very old) iPad, I started Safari and logged in to Nikongear. I then set up some tabs for other sites.
I jumped back and forth between NG and the tabbed sites but did not get logged off NG.

I left Safari by a big button click to the home screen and then brought up Safari again.
My NG login was still active.

For the record, my iPad is the old, orginal version with 64GB.
It is no longer update-able so I am not using the same IOS that is used on your iPad2.

Two things I can suggest:
1) Go to Settings > Safari on your iPad2 and clear Cookies and Cache.
2) If that does not fix the problem, then try the two-button (hard) reset to release all loaded apps
and thus clean up the iPad2's memory.

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2015, 14:05:31 »
[size=78%]Hello Andrea,[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Thanks for your long reply and sorry for my late answer. [/size]
[/size]
[/size]

Two things I can suggest:
1) Go to Settings > Safari on your iPad2 and clear Cookies and Cache.
2) If that does not fix the problem, then try the two-button (hard) reset to release all loaded apps
and thus clean up the iPad2's memory.

I followed your suggestions - unfortunately to no avail, but at least I was able to narrow the problem somewhat.
There is no log-in problem for as long as I just follow links in the very same browser tab.

Usually I open interesting threads in new tabs, though. And each one of those newly opened threads requires a new login.
Can be my "odd" browsing behaviour, but so far I encountered this problem only here.

Looking forward to a solution.
If you need further information from me, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Günther
Guenther Something

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2015, 15:02:15 »
Günther, smells like you're using very strict privacy settings like Private Browsing, "do not track", no cookies allowed, flush the cash when tab or session is closed, etc, etc.

For NG to work properly the nikongear.net cookie needs to be installed but also accessible by the browser, when for instance using Safari in Private Browsing mode new cookies are not installed but already installed cookies are also ignored. The newer web browsers are now designed to have each tab to be a separate browser session, with a super secret privacy setup this might cause login failures.

As we're constantly updating the site a periodic cleaning and re-installing of the cookie is advised to guarantee a smooth experience, but this goes for all websites.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2015, 20:53:16 »
Günther, smells like you're using very strict privacy settings like Private Browsing, "do not track", no cookies allowed, flush the cash when tab or session is closed, etc, etc.

For NG to work properly the nikongear.net cookie needs to be installed but also accessible by the browser, when for instance using Safari in Private Browsing mode new cookies are not installed but already installed cookies are also ignored. The newer web browsers are now designed to have each tab to be a separate browser session, with a super secret privacy setup this might cause login failures.

As we're constantly updating the site a periodic cleaning and re-installing of the cookie is advised to guarantee a smooth experience, but this goes for all websites.

Not precisely, Sir!

Do not track = active, no other cookies restriction active. Pop up blocking = active.

It would be new to me if these two restrictions would affect log-in cookies.
Guenther Something

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2015, 23:06:34 »
Günther - thanks for narrowing down the problem. Let me try again under a setting which opens links in new tabs.

Jan Anne - I think you've hit on something with the "separate tabs need a new session" observation.

I'll get some time to test later this evening and report if I can reproduce the problem.