Author Topic: strange login behaviour  (Read 18217 times)

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
Re: strange login behaviour
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:30 »
There should be no need to log out everytime you switch devices.

I never log out and can seemlesly switch between a Windows PC, a Mac, iPhone and iPad. Also no problems when using these devices at the same time.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 13:03:49 »
There should be no need to log out everytime you switch devices.

I never log out and can seemlesly switch between a Windows PC, a Mac, iPhone and iPad. Also no problems when using these devices at the same time.

Really?  I've believed that wouldn't work, and I've never failed to log out of any forum when I switch devices.  Is that rather normal?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

James Fitzgerald

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 14:32:00 »
Cleared the cache on my MacbookAir. This seems have resolved the issue for me.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 14:46:17 »
As only a handful of people are logged as getting issues with incorrect passwords, and the same persons are involved over and over again, there must be a common denominator somewhere.  I can only think of caching (which can occur at several levels, internal to your machine, browser, local network, or any proxies present). Site DB corruption can also be considered, but in the unlikely event should it occur, changing passwords would solve that immediately.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 16:55:50 »
Really?  I've believed that wouldn't work, and I've never failed to log out of any forum when I switch devices.  Is that rather normal?
I never log out on any site and never experienced any problems :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 17:02:02 »
As only a handful of people are logged as getting issues with incorrect passwords, and the same persons are involved over and over again, there must be a common denominator somewhere.  I can only think of caching (which can occur at several levels, internal to your machine, browser, local network, or any proxies present). Site DB corruption can also be considered, but in the unlikely event should it occur, changing passwords would solve that immediately.

I can see that. I did clear the browser cache on both my machines (both OSX, both Firefox). Could it actually be a browser issue? I'll give the apple thing a try.

By the way, i've noticed that the top right login box shows "forever" for login time, while the separate login page shows a value (in seconds or minutes?).

I'll switch browser and report back. Perhaps the others can report the browser they're using.
Hans Cremers

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 17:15:03 »
Hans, I am using google chrome on my mac. I ticked the box "forever" and I don't have any issues.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 19:05:21 »
I use Firefox on different desktops and Chrome on a laptop and on Android. I never had any issues. And yes  I thicked 'forever'. Dislike it to do unnecessary logins ;)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2015, 22:46:31 »
I never log out on any site and never experienced any problems :)

Okay, I'll try.  Thanks, Jan!

ADDED:
This additional comment is posted from Safari on my iPad Air 2 with my desktop PC still logged in on IE11, which seems to be of no problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 03:19:18 »
Currently, we have no blocks in place which prevent multiple logins from different machines. So feel free to stay logged in if you like. (However, see end of this post.)

When I'm using my Password Protector App, I sometimes get login failures on Nikongear
because I need to refresh cache for the automated fill-ins to work.

Today I've been using direct login with the upper right corner boxes - several times - and cannot produce any failures on Firefox.

There have not been any recent database errors. Last one was back in June.

There are ALWAYS a lot of login screw-ups because of typos in either user name or password.
Done it myself a few times.  ;D :o ::)

My usual practice to prevent overload of cookies-which-spy, junk pile-up and overloaded temp files, is to shut down all apps at the end of the day and then run something like CCleaner to clear out everything.
Good practice because it keeps your machine cleaner and apps run faster.
CCleaner runs only on Mac I think. But there are gazillions of good junk and cache cleaners "out there".
If you don't clean up daily, at least consider cleaning up once a week.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 11:12:30 »
I still get the error on the top right login box, but not on the second page.

I get that typos ruin the "login experience", but of course i've double and triple checked my password. I've even changed it on Bjørn's suggestion. He also suggested to clear out the caches, which i did. All to no avail.

So, as long as you as admin don't worry, i'll live with this.

Thanks for looking into this though, i know how much time this kind of issue can take. Simple on the surface, but not so really (i'm an IT nerd, so that's why i have this experience as well).

By the way, it's no problem for me to login from multiple devices, so my problem is not in that area.
Hans Cremers

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 13:43:57 »
Intermittent issues that are almost impossible to reproduce cause premature grey hair if the hair hasn't already been pulled out in despair ....

I'm more or less permanently logged into NG from at least 6 different boxes running on various Windows and Linux OS, and never had any login issue. The additional login to access the Admin section of the NG site, however, times out every 60 minutes presumably as a security measure, so I have to log in again if I want to go there. However, the stored password is remembered so actually is just an additional <enter> or mouse click, and the ordinary login meanwhile is live throughout.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 19:11:25 »
HCS:  Perhaps you might give me a bit of data in order to attempt replicating your login experience??
  • What browser are you using?
  • Is browser up to date?
  • Do you use any broswer plug-ins which prevent popups or logins?
  • What machine/device are you using?
  • What OS is running on your device?
  • Do you use any automated login apps which store name/password?
  • Are you using any special characters in your password?
Thank you!! I will try to look into this because it interests me and - of course  ;D - because we don't want our members having these kinds of problems.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 23:17:13 »
HCS:  Perhaps you might give me a bit of data in order to attempt replicating your login experience??
  • What browser are you using?
  • Is browser up to date?
  • Do you use any broswer plug-ins which prevent popups or logins?
  • What machine/device are you using?
  • What OS is running on your device?
  • Do you use any automated login apps which store name/password?
  • Are you using any special characters in your password?
Thank you!! I will try to look into this because it interests me and - of course  ;D - because we don't want our members having these kinds of problems.

In order of appearance:
Firefox
Yes
Not that i'm aware of
MacBook Pro and MacPro
OSX 10.10.5 (but had problems also with 10.4)
No
just alpha numerics and numerics

Hope this helps. Otherwise PM me, maybe i can share more details if required.

Thanks again for your persistence.
Hans Cremers

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 23:40:09 »
And if all things fail you have three admins present at the upcoming NG event for "onsite" support :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne