Author Topic: Springtime!  (Read 2648 times)

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
Springtime!
« on: April 15, 2018, 23:54:30 »
Is this a great shot?

Just wondering, at a certain age in life, doing  this kind of photography for decades .......

I think its perfect in any way thinkable. But then, all the critique I ever get nowadays is on facebook
------- usually none is commenting. Just giving me likes :-)

The emphasis of this shot is: Finally springtime! Look at all these yellow flowers popping up in the wasteland!

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Springtime!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 02:47:51 »
No Arild, in my opinion this is not a great shot.
It is too close to a few flowers to let one think about springtime.
But the link between the pic and its title is the least important thing to me and quite annoying when someone criticize the image by its title (like I did in the last line).
I think this image lacks interest, regarding the composition, or the subject.
Sorry.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 02:55:27 »
In my opinion no  .....but if you think it is perfect, it is. Why care what anyone else thinks.

Cheers
Bez

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 06:19:56 »
Are these flowers colt's foot?  If so, the title is very appropriate for the image shot in Scandinavia where people long for the warm season.

The image may not be "great" as it is, but putting the colt's foot here and there to suggest the arrival of the spring is a nice idea.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 16:11:35 »
Yep, colts foot.

At this time thats the only flowering. Everything else is covered by vast snow blankets. Been snow for nearly six months now....

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 17:48:36 »
A picture such as this needs a context. Is it documentary -- or aimed towards an expression of creativity? Is it a depiction of a botanical species and its habitat, a memory of what spring looks like, and so on ad nauseam.

Most of these aspects do not involve creativity as such and thus hardly deserve the 'great shot' designation. The image can be accurate, helpful, informative, technically well executed, etc., etc. though. Its intended purpose largely defines what terms should apply.

Arild

• n
  • NG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 15:29:13 »
Oh man...

These are Great Shots for me.

These great shots is taken April 29th 2018 and will forewer document what I experienced on that mountain trip

So, that might be just the whole truth. Me walking about in the mountains and happy as ever on these trips.
Carrying a camera. Might just as well been a coolpix w100 white xcept that d750/24-120 give the opportunity to really
take such great photos that forever will conserve these moments of true life thats really me....I dont care if its art
might just well documentary, reportage, as long as these photos are conserved for me for ever...

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 15:20:04 »
I do rather like the last image Arild

Having sayd that, I would crop it a little bit tighter, to get rid of the tuft of grass in the bottom right corner and the branches of the tree on the left?

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 16:09:49 »
I like the last pictures better. The first picture is not anything I would like to hang on my wall, but that doesn't mean it is not a good picture. All depends on what you want to tell.
The first one has much of the essens of the springtime in it. All the old, brown grass from yesteryear, with some early flower breakin through. Seeing this I look forward to the springtime that will come in near future.
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 18:07:29 »
too sharp for my taste :D
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen