Author Topic: Stromboli  (Read 1505 times)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
Stromboli
« on: July 12, 2018, 20:38:15 »
Smoking, as usual.
Anthony Macaulay

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Stromboli
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:05 »
This is the place where Patalogika witch lives.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 17:25:46 »
Anthony:

Quite a striking island.  I feel that the haze reduced the contrast so much, that some of the impact of the image was lost. So, a quick tweak of contrast and saturation on the island. Just an option.

Cheers

Randy

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 18:44:04 »
Are those houses on the lower left ?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 18:54:49 »
Good choice to enhance the contrast.  The photo still looks completely realistic, but important details are now more visible.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 20:09:30 »
Very nice!  To me, the seemingly sterile symmetrical composition makes the image somewhat other-worldly.

The low contrast (against the sharply rendered ripples of the sea) makes the island look like a mirage, which rather gives the preferable effect.  This is not a landscape but a nice abstraction to me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 20:25:41 »
Thanks, all for your comments and suggestions.

Here is the embedded jpeg from the original raw.  I was bouncing around on a sailing boat, shooting with Fuji X-T2/18-55 at 55, and this was the closest we came.  I would have gone closer, gone ashore, but the rest of the crew were more interested in sailing than in onshore exploring.

As you can see, there was a lot of work applied to the raw file.  Probably I should have applied more contrast, and thanks for the suggestion, Randy.  But haze was a reality, and I decided to leave some trace of it.  I am impressed with the ability of the Fuji kit zoom to capture information.

The next time I go sailing I shall include a longer lens in my luggage.

Stromboli is an active volcano.  There are indeed houses on the island, and there is a population of around 500.
Anthony Macaulay

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 20:30:36 »
If you are using Lightroom, the Dehaze feature would probably give favorable results.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 21:08:11 »
If you are using Lightroom, the Dehaze feature would probably give favorable results.

Thanks, Andrew, I used the Dehaze feature in ACR (same as LR).  It helped.  However, I could not push it further than I did because it started to create an unpleasant and unrealistic dark blue tone.
Anthony Macaulay

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 21:12:02 »
It of course is always about what 'story' you are trying to tell.  So, go with the presentation that tells your story the best.

I created a mask and applied the adjustments just to the island and the clouds, as the water did get unnatural looking with the dehaze filter on the entire image.

I used the Overlay blend mode and a few other minor tweaks in PS.

Cheers

Randy

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 10:15:20 »
Thanks, Randy, when I used Dehaze early on in the process I found that it gave an unpleasant blue tinge to the volcano at settings of over +15.

However, applying it and applying contrast to the final version (as you have, because that is all you had to work from) seems to work well.

A lesson I draw from this is that adjustments can successfully be applied at a later stage in the process even if they have already been applied at an earlier stage.

One can never stop learning with Photoshop.
Anthony Macaulay

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 20:27:18 »
A most interesting view of a unique volcano which emerges directly from the sea!

Regarding Dehaze:

Dehaze works by increasing Black point and contrast in distant subjects while increasing Saturation in near-by subjects.
It usually needs to be used in conjunction with several other Sliders (including Clarity, Saturation, Vibrance and Contrast) and perhaps with HSL sliders for individual colours as well.

This image is a case where you might find using an Adjustment Brush or a graduation (set for Haze reduction plus some of the other adjustments which I mentioned) on only the volcano and the sky.

Minus values of De-haze increase Whites and add the appearance of mist — which can alo be very useful if applied locally.

I find that I can often use Dehaze, in conjunction with other settings, instead of a Polariser to darken skies and even to reduce over-bright reflections. I usually avoid filters, even a polariser, because of the time it takes to mount and adjust them and the polariser only affects a relatively small arc of the image anyway.

You can also use the ACR Filter in Ps itself to make these adjustments on a duplicate and maskable Layer

Here a very contrasty image of a wet alligator which has been edited with a Graduated Adjustment:

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 20:17:50 »
Thank you, Ann, this thread is becoming very instructive for me.
Anthony Macaulay