Author Topic: Lens compatibility question  (Read 1725 times)

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Lens compatibility question
« on: July 04, 2018, 19:16:15 »
I have ordered a FT-1 adapter for my Nikkor 1 AW1, waiting for delivery.
I will be using on it some of my remaining Nikkors, all manual focus.
The most interesting for me is the 200mm AIS micro, which is the only one I have that is not chipped.

Am I correct in understanding that with the FT-1 I should get stop down metering with it? What added benefit would I get chipping it?

The other question is it just occurred me that there is the new Nikkor DX 70-300 AF-P which is small and well rated, but I am not sure if the new P type lenses can be handled by the AW1/FT-1 combo.
Does anyone know?
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Lens compatibility question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 20:27:32 »
I used to use FT-1 with J1.  If I remember correctly, the open aperture metering is possible with Ais lenses, as their aperture movement is linear.

As for the AF-P lenses, FT-1 is compatible with them, according to Nikon's official compatibility chart.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 21:03:30 »
I used to use FT-1 with J1.  If I remember correctly, the open aperture metering is possible with Ais lenses, as their aperture movement is linear.

As for the AF-P lenses, FT-1 is compatible with them, according to Nikon's official compatibility chart.

That's good news!
The compatibility with AF-P lenses is frankly an unexpected bonus, I'll think about the possibilities that this opens in terms of cheap and cheerful telephoto lenses.
Simone Tomasi

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 22:12:56 »
Given the 2.7x crop factor, even the 18-55 kit lens can be a cheap and cheerful telephoto lens of 49-148 equivalent!

By the way, the VR of AF-P lenses cannot be turned off via FT-1, which may be frustrating.  All current DX AF-P zooms offers VR in normal mode only (no sports mode), so the image will always jump back to its neutral (centered) position when you release.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 22:17:53 »
Simone, without an installed chip in the lens the AW1/FT-1 will have no way of knowing if a lens is attached or not, regardless whether it is an AI or AIS compatible lens. So your assumption that it uses stop down metering with non-chipped lenses is correct, it works even in aperture priority mode. (The actuator that opens up the aperture to max is then not engaged and the aperture is completely controlled by the lens.) This is actually better compatibility than in the consumer DX bodies that will not offer metering, and only function in all manual mode.

Akira's comment regarding AIS lenses and the linear aperture applies to chipped lenses only.

An AFS 50mm f/1.8 works very well with the FT-1 and gives he same angle of view as a 135mm on FX frame.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 23:00:34 »
Oops, sorry for the confusion.   :-[

Øivind, thank you for the correction!

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 00:35:30 »
Simone, without an installed chip in the lens the AW1/FT-1 will have no way of knowing if a lens is attached or not, regardless whether it is an AI or AIS compatible lens. So your assumption that it uses stop down metering with non-chipped lenses is correct, it works even in aperture priority mode. (The actuator that opens up the aperture to max is then not engaged and the aperture is completely controlled by the lens.) This is actually better compatibility than in the consumer DX bodies that will not offer metering, and only function in all manual mode.

Akira's comment regarding AIS lenses and the linear aperture applies to chipped lenses only.

An AFS 50mm f/1.8 works very well with the FT-1 and gives he same angle of view as a 135mm on FX frame.

Thanks for the confirmation, that was my thinking exactly.
If lhe lens was chipped, I guess I should be able to do full aperture metering, which means more light on the sensor and a better image on the screen. Would I be able to  set the aperture on the lens, or would I have to set the smallest aperture on the ring and then control from the camera? I generally prefer to operate the aperture from the lens rather than rhe camera, if possible. My 75-150/3.5 is chipped...

Up to moderate telephoto my Fuji stuff is very satisfactory, but I have no really long options; the longest option, the 80-400, does not convince me fully and it is too expensive for the action it would see.
Simone Tomasi

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 11:20:11 »

With a chipped lens the AW1 only allows control of aperture from the body. Note that in the viewing phase it will in most cases set the lens to f/5.6, although at very low light it seems that the lens is opened up. Thus there is no guarantee that you can focus with the lens wide open. Then at the last moment the aperture is changed to that set on the body.
Øivind Tøien

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2018, 11:38:31 »
With a chipped lens the AW1 only allows control of aperture from the body. Note that in the viewing phase it will in most cases set the lens to f/5.6, although at very low light it seems that the lens is opened up. Thus there is no guarantee that you can focus with the lens wide open. Then at the last moment the aperture is changed to that set on the body.

Good to know,  thanks.
I am looking forward to trying out the new gear...
Simone Tomasi

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2018, 20:40:00 »
I got the FT-1 yesterday and it works just as discussed.

Chipped AIS lens: all functions (except AF, obviously)
AF-D lenses: as AIS - no AF
AF-S: I have none
AIS not chipped: stop down aperture and *no focus confirmation* Bummer
AI, chipped: as AIS, but exposure errors at larger f-numbers due to lack of linear aperture

I forgot to say with the FT-1 only the central AF zone works.

In practice only chipped AIS lenses are usable with ease. For me that means the 75-150.
Sadly I never chipped the 200 micro and I suspect that the proper way (Bjørn's way) is no longer possible.
Simone Tomasi