Author Topic: Vivitar Series 1, 135mm/2.3>>>(Remove the rear element) Help!  (Read 1595 times)

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
It does take nice pic's & the "bokeh" is quite nice.The rear element is stationary but has noticeable fungus on the inner side. I can send the lens back, (Several Day Window) but otherwise it's in great shape.
How do I pull the rear element (which is non-compound) clean the glass & be merrily on my way?
If I screw it up, I'm toast.
Any ideas?

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
Re: Vivitar Series 1, 135mm/2.3>>>(Remove the rear element) Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 21:48:46 »
(For the Record.....)  I really lucked out. I carefully removed the rear mounting flange & prayed something springlike does not go "Boing."

The inner rear element was directly mounted to the flange. I cleaned the inside element & the back side of the next, & closed it up. My only complaint now is that there is some internal dust inside this 40 something, year old hunk of glass.

I owe my aging Aunt a semi-pro, (No, by best effort) somewhat decent portrait shots. (I'm pushing 60 & we ain't getting any younger.)
Click On.
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 23:41:41 »
Isn't it great when the repair you want to do turns out to be simple and can be done quickly?
Show some shots from the lens once you accumulate some that you like.
I like a good 135, but finally sold off my Nikkor 135/2 AiS because I don't need a soft look at 135mm.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 04:53:51 »
Isn't it great when the repair you want to do turns out to be simple and can be done quickly?
Show some shots from the lens once you accumulate some that you like.
I like a good 135, but finally sold off my Nikkor 135/2 AiS because I don't need a soft look at 135mm.
I had a friend who was one of the better pro, wedding photographers in my area. (He got the big "C," and passed away, very young.) His trick for soft was stretching a piece of bridal veil over the front of his lens.

He showed me a lot of tricks...... or maybe I should say "He taught me a lot of essentials." Some of it was film era, however it all carries foreword. His studio was huge.

I wonder if ever the 105 or 135DC will ever plummet it price?

(Actually at the moment, whenever anything "DC" enters the discussion I cringe & run to my hole/hide under the bridge.)

8) <humor> ;)