Author Topic: Central México  (Read 5692 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Central México
« on: June 23, 2018, 18:20:52 »
Travel to central México

San Luis Potosí , Plaza del Carmen

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Central México
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 18:52:50 »
I like the look, it reminds me of a 19th century engraving, like something one might see on an old (pre-color) stock certificate.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 20:05:54 »
Well done conversion. 8)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 23:18:57 »
Interesting image.  To my eye, it looks too contrasty, but, considering the sunlight stronger than in any places of Japan, that can be felt more natural for the tropic eyes.

Also, I feel that the image is tilted very slightly clockwise.  But that may contribute to the majestic feel of the entrance with the Corinthian columns by making the whole thing slightly facing upwards.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 14:54:17 »
Thanks for the comments

Yes it is tilted and could not decide which column to use as a reference, I should probably just rotate it freely until it looks straight

Zacatecas- Plaza with outdoor cafe - no crazy contrast this time
Armando Morales

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2018, 15:19:14 »
Yes it is tilted and could not decide which column to use as a reference, I should probably just rotate it freely until it looks straight

Zacatecas- Plaza with outdoor cafe - no crazy contrast this time

In general, I would use a perpendicular line closest to the center of the image as a reference.

I like the atmosphere of the second image.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2018, 16:45:27 »
There is a Transform tool in both ACR and in Lr that lets you correct two verticals (and/or two horizontals as well) so you are not limited to merely rotating an image.

This is how two verticals correction Guides could straighten the buildings in your photograph.

There is always the very real possibility that the buildings in that earth-quake-prone area are no longer entirely perpendicular in reality?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 17:27:27 »
There is a Transform tool in both ACR and in Lr that lets you correct two verticals (and/or two horizontals as well) so you are not limited to merely rotating an image.

This is how two verticals correction Guides could straighten the buildings in your photograph.

There is always the very real possibility that the buildings in that earth-quake-prone area are no longer entirely perpendicular in reality?
Thanks Ann, of course there is the transform tool, I keep forgetting it, thanks for the reminder

This area is not that prone to earthquakes  and the ground is mostly rock, if I were in Mexico city the building are so obviously out of vertical that it is scary
Armando Morales

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 17:59:35 »
Ann, thank you for the advice.

I do have used the transform tool but only when I failed to align the camera correctly against, say, a building, and that made both horizontal and vertical perspectives funky.

Also, I've heard from an experienced LF photographer that the very slight convergence of the vertical lines of buildings would help the image feel natural than the perfectly corrected vertical lines.  And I would agree with him.  So, the simple rotation of the image could suffice in this particular case?

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 18:28:43 »
My feeling is that distortion should either be very deliberate and extreme (such as straight-up shots of converging skyscrapers overhead or the use of a Fisheye); but that distortion should normally be corrected for architectural, packaging and product shots in general.

My reaction almost certainly results from years of using monorail cameras which have full controls for perspective, DOF and converging verticals and I am distinctly uncomfortable with the unintended distortion of geometry which has resulted from the limitations imposed by fixed-back cameras.

Although modern software does offer tools which help to overcome these problems,  large-format monorails (with both front and back movements) actually handled these optical corrections more effectively.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 20:12:43 »

My reaction almost certainly results from years of using monorail cameras which have full controls for perspective, DOF and converging verticals and I am distinctly uncomfortable with the unintended distortion of geometry which has resulted from the limitations imposed by fixed-back cameras.

Although modern software does offer tools which help to overcome these problems,  large-format monorails (with both front and back movements) actually handled these optical corrections more effectively.

If I may add: The typical large format lenses also have microscopically small amounts of distortion compared to DSLR lenses.  With DSLRs, it is common to have tilted buildings AND curved lines. 24x36 mirrorless cameras have a better selection of distortion-free lenses available.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 02:55:17 »
I also find the AWA (Adaptive Wide Angle) Filter helpful for straightening distorted and curved architectural elements  and to correct planes in interiors. It's a bit tricky to get the hang of but quite useful once you understand how it works.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 03:11:03 »
During my trip I only had the with me the consumer 24-85VR zoom and talking about mirrorless there were moments when I envied my daughter and her little Olympus epl1, until light went low and the D800 sensor and the VR ran circles around the little epl1

Organ at the San Luis Potosí cathedral-  1/13 sec handheld

Armando Morales

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 15:11:17 »
You have remarkably steady hands — and VR!

You have captured the full richness and subtle tones of the highly polished wood, painted walls and metal pipes.
Beautifully shot and processed.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 15:47:09 »
Armando, I would echo Ann's comment.  Gorgeous organ and interior!