Author Topic: Singaporean Saunters  (Read 6667 times)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Singaporean Saunters
« on: June 20, 2018, 21:43:07 »
During my short-cut between New York and London, I was very fortunate to be able to spend nearly a week in Singapore where a fellow professional photographer, who is lucky enough to live in that exciting country, most generously gave up her time to show me around.

The building construction which has taken place around Singapore's Marina Bay in recent years, and which has replaced a previous slew of run-down warehouse and dock-side structures, is simply stunning visually and is also extraordinarily advanced technologically.

A heavy downpour had soaked the pavements on this particular evening and provided wonderful reflections of the colourfully lit buildings and of the people who were enjoying their evening in this vibrant and popular area.

A Park besides the river

The Jubillee Pedestrian Bridge crossing over to Fullerton Bay and the Business District:

This glazed dome is part of the magnificent Esplanade Concert Centre:

Across the Bay stand the hand-shaped Arts and Sciences Museum besides the triple-towered Marina Sands Bay Hotel with its giant Promenade Deck spanning the three supporting towers.

The Deck contains gardens and an infinity swimming pool. The Museum is lit internally (through the skylights in each finger), bears huge solar panels on its exterior surfaces, and also functions as a rainfall-collecting funnel.

Glass-roofed walkways connect the pavilions of the Conference Centres at the base of the towers.

A very dramatic Laser display from the viewing deck takes place for about 15 minutes every evening and the floodlighting on the surrounding buildings changes colour as well.

In the heart of the business district, stands the amusing Merlion Fountain. It depicts the legendary report of an Indian explorer who was sure that he had seen lions on the island of Singapore (Sing means "lion" in Sanskrit); coupled with legends of mermaids swimming in these waters.

Further along the waterfront, this field of little fountains play with continuously changing shapes and colours.

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
Re: Singaporean Saunters
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 21:51:37 »
Stunning shots Ann! I love the ones of the fountains at the end, so unusual.
Timothy Hodgkinson

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 01:25:52 »
So, you were in the very city right after the historical meeting had taken place!

I won't go into that any further, but I'd like to point out that the second image is just lovely and gorgeous!  As you say, the reflection from the pavement enhances the abundance of the illumination nicely: it almost gives an HDR-like effect!

Thank you for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 01:29:19 »
beautifully framed and composed images and a fair smattering to give us a very good feel for the whole show/environment that evening.
Not unexpectedly, noise is very pronounced in these shooting circumstances. Noticed you used D5 and ISO 6400 from one sample. BTW , Mongo was curious how well the noise might clean up so tried it on one sample. It came up a treat !

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 01:41:12 »
Tim:

I like those little fountains too! I see little human figures in the shapes of the water-jets.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 01:46:49 »
Akira:

These photographs were taken when I was in Singapore in 2016 but the recent political events reminded me that I had never got round to posting my pictures of that fascinating country.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 02:11:39 »
Mongo:

I am glad that you enjoyed the photographs.

You noticed correctly that these were all shot on a D5, hand-held and with high ISO.

Gaining the ability to shoot moving subjects under low lighting conditions with a hand-held camera is what makes using a D5 such an exciting experience.

Film grain and luminance noise have never concerned me. I prefer to leave Luminance Noise un-smoothed so that crisp detail is retained. That is why I don't use Noise-reduction settings or software because I don't like the way in which it smooshes definition and detail (even though I do have that software). Some of what appears to be Noise in the sky in these pictures is actually falling rain!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 02:20:28 »
Akira:

These photographs were taken when I was in Singapore in 2016 but the recent political events reminded me that I had never got round to posting my pictures of that fascinating country.

LOL!  No matter when these images were taken, I enjoy them so much anyway.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 04:47:27 »
Ann, quite simply the best set of many night time photographs of Singapore that I have seen over the years.  My daughter lived in Singapore for around five years, so I am very familiar with the scenes that you portray here.  Thanks so much for sharing them with us.
Hugh Gunn

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 08:20:25 »
Mongo:

I am glad that you enjoyed the photographs.

You noticed correctly that these were all shot on a D5, hand-held and with high ISO.

Gaining the ability to shoot moving subjects under low lighting conditions with a hand-held camera is what makes using a D5 such an exciting experience.

Film grain and luminance noise have never concerned me. I prefer to leave Luminance Noise un-smoothed so that crisp detail is retained. That is why I don't use Noise-reduction settings or software because I don't like the way in which it smooshes definition and detail (even though I do have that software). Some of what appears to be Noise in the sky in these pictures is actually falling rain!

Thanks Ann. Interesting to know these were handheld - impressive ! Also very interested in what you have said about noise reduction. Mongo also turns of noise reduction and associated things on his cameras also and for the reason you have mentioned.

One quick question - would you feel the same about using noise reduction if there were (and Mongo is not saying there is) a noise reduction program/method that does not have the associated loss of detail or are you happy irrespective of any  such program/method ??

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 19:43:01 »
Mongo:
I have often experimented with Noise Reduction tools but I have almost always found that they turn details to mush and so I usually avoid their use but, instead, tend to use quite heavy Masking so that my Sharpening only reaches sharply defined edges and does not affect the areas containing smooth tones.

Many of these night shots were shot at 12,800 ISO (and a couple of them at 25,600 ISO!) with my 24-70 mm f/2.8 lens wide-open and a shutter speed around 1/160 so it is quite surprising to me that the images have retained so much colour, DR and definition.

The triple-towers across the Bay are quite dimly lit and were shot under a misty rain-filled sky so the fact that the camera could record clear images is quite remarkable but the soggy atmosphere probably helped to enhance the laser display.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 20:50:34 »
Ann, these images are simply marvelous!  8)
Carl

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 22:12:42 »
Wonderfully composed shots of this amazing city. Thank you for sharing, Ann, Master Photographer
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

FredCrowBear

• NG Supporter
  • Frederick V. Ramsey
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:51 »
Fantastic images of a beautiful city. 
Frederick V. Ramsey

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Singaporean Saunters: National Orchid Garden
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2018, 05:47:36 »
Thank you all for your incredibly kind comments about these pictures.

Hugh mentioned his familiarity with Singapore so the photographs which follow are probably of a place which he almost certainly knows well — the National Orchid Garden which is a section of Singapore's Botanic Gardens.

These splendid bronze Cranes stand guard near the entrance to the garden:

Hundreds of yellow Oncidiums have been attached to a framework to make a glorious fragrant tunnel which leads into the garden.

There are more than 2,000 species of orchids being grown in this garden and more than 3,000 cultivars. I recognised some species but I definitely can't name all of the ones which I photographed — but I will try.

Dendrobium

Dendrobium

Dendrobium phaleonopsis

Vanda

Dendrobium

Vanda (Singapore's national flower).

Dendrobium

Phaleonopsis

Phaleonopsis

Paphiopedilum

Paphiopedilum

Vanda