Author Topic: Spot the Dog!  (Read 1042 times)

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
Spot the Dog!
« on: June 20, 2018, 21:19:56 »
I have been photographing some of my Dad's old 35mm slides. This one was taken in Benoni, South Africa in 1964. See if you can spot the dog!
Timothy Hodgkinson

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Spot the Dog!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 01:20:40 »
At first, Mongo thought it was driving the car but later, he found it doing its dogly duty of watering the bridge footings. 1964 was some time ago. If the dog was still with us (and this can not be the case), it would be doing the same thing today. Some canine things will never change.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 04:51:54 »
Also a very nice example of a Mk 1 Ford Zephyr.  My uncle had one - a great wee car in its time.  Had a 2.6 litre six cylinder engine - around 2,556 cc IIRC.

Actually there may be two dogs - the one spotted by Mongo plus one high up on the right hand road bank in the image?
Hugh Gunn

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 05:06:58 »
>Actually there may be two dogs - the one spotted by Mongo plus one high up on the right hand road bank in the image?

I'd say that is a person. A sitting black man in a long sleeved white shirt and black trousers.

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 05:12:40 »
Yes, well spotted Mongo! Indeed, dogs will be dogs  :D

Thanks for the information, Hugh, a beautiful old car.

Netr, you are correct, that is a man sitting on the right bank of the road, on the other side of the bridge. Here is a close-up of the man and the dog.

Timothy Hodgkinson

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 06:53:20 »
I wonder what the same scene looks like today...

I suspect there will be more than one car, one dog and a spectator.

I had a Mk.1 Ford Consul, a Mk.2 Zephyr and a Mk.3 Zodiac, all with column change if I remember correctly, the linkage was troublesome when it got worn, preventing engagement of gears. The Consul was a four cylinder version of the Zephyr, about 1600cc from memory.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 08:10:57 »
Seapy, I found the road on Google Maps Streetview. The image was captured in March 2017. There are a few more cars, although I don't see any spectators or dogs.  :-\

There appears to be a framework on the bridge, so probably covered in advertising now.

The cars have changed somewhat in appearance. Not quite as elegant as the Zephyr. 

Timothy Hodgkinson

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 08:27:41 »
What a small universe it is - Mongo just remembered that his father had a zephyr in the late 1950's !!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 08:29:47 »
You are right Netr  -  I need to "click up big".

I wonder if  he was the dog's owner?

>Actually there may be two dogs - the one spotted by Mongo plus one high up on the right hand road bank in the image?

I'd say that is a person. A sitting black man in a long sleeved white shirt and black trousers.
Hugh Gunn