Author Topic: Suggestions needed with D850 that randomly freezes  (Read 9965 times)

Sören Hese

• NG Supporter
    • Yacht & Regatta Sailing Photography
Suggestions needed with D850 that randomly freezes
« on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:10 »
Dear all, just need some hints from anybody who has the same problem: my D850 randomly (so far) freezes fully for 1-2 seconds. In these two seconds no exposure and no AF possible. This happens approx every 100-150 shots. Buffer is empty or filled with approx 10-15 shots (12Bit lossless raw settings).  I am using En_EL15a batteries and Sony G Type 32GB XQD cards and Sony SDXC 64GB UHS-II cards with max rating. Using different cards has no effect also switching batteries has no effect. This happened with AFS VR 400mm f2.8 and with the AFS 70-200 f2.8 (both set VR=OFF). AF-C release Prio and AF set to 3D  and using the following settings (below). Nikon already changed the "togo pcb unit", but the problem remains. With sports this is not a good situation since 1-2 s are a lot.

Any comments are highly appreciated! Kind regards from Berlin.

Settings: 
A1=Release
A2=Release
A3=1
A4=On
A5=Wide
A6=AF15
A7=Off
A8=ON
A9=Single Point AF72/153/autoarea=off
A10=No restrictions
A11=off
A12=ON/ON/ON
B1=1/3
B2=1/3
B3=1/3
B4=Off
B5=On Face detection on
B6=8mm
B7=off
C1=Off
C2=6s
C3=10s
C4=10S/1M/10S/4S/10M
D1=5
D2=200
D3=OFF
D4=SYNC
D5=OFF
D6=OFF
D7=ON
D8=R
D9=OFF
D10=OFF
D11=ON
E1=1/250
E2=1/60
E3=ENTIRE FRAME
E4=SUBJECT AND BACKGROUND
E5=ON
E6=FLASH/SPEED
E7=MTR>UNDER>OVER
F1    Pv=PV
   FN1=Off
   FN2=Access Top Item In My Menu
F5=Off
F6=Off
F8=ON
F9=Light
G2=248
ExtMenuBanks=OFF
Primary=XQD
Sec=Overflow
RAW, L, 12Bit lossless
Autoiso=OFF
WB=directsun
colorspace=AdobeRGB
Other Photoshooting Menu setting all=OFF
Slot empty release=LOCK
Use MBD18 first
Firmware=1.01 (now 1.02)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Suggestions needed with D850 that randomly freezes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 13:45:08 »
Erik Lund

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 16:55:07 »
As Erik mentions, I have the same problem. I have been in contact with the Nikon representative in Greece and, so far, the problem has not been resolved.
They gave me 2 QC (quality check) D850 bodies to try and they had the same problem. It seems like a bug. I am still waiting for  a solution to the problem.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Sören Hese

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 17:09:21 »
ok thanks, wondering if this is a problem of specific settings that causes these freezes or whether it only applies to specific bodies. I will test the system default settings. Do you also experience a full "hang" of the trigger?  Regards, Sören

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 01:08:25 »
I also remember the other thread well. In the beginning I thought "airplane mode" would help but for our Greek friend it did not
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

RoyC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 02:57:57 »
Pull the SDXC card out and leave the slot empty.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 05:16:50 »
Pull the SDXC card out and leave the slot empty.

could be. I never use the SD. I wish Nikon would offer to rebuild for two XQD cards
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 20:03:09 »
The first time I used the D850 there were moments where it would seem to pause and not acquire focus in the midst of shooting a figure skating event. However, this behavior has not repeated since in my camera body.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 20:45:30 »
ok thanks, wondering if this is a problem of specific settings that causes these freezes or whether it only applies to specific bodies. I will test the system default settings. Do you also experience a full "hang" of the trigger?  Regards, Sören

Ιt might be the settings. I noticed that pressing the button on the AF/MF switch, the camera recovers instantly. Same thing if you turn the switch to MF and then back to AF. The first option is faster. I do not understand what you mean by "full hang of the trigger".
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 21:02:35 »
The first time I used the D850 there were moments where it would seem to pause and not acquire focus in the midst of shooting a figure skating event. However, this behavior has not repeated since in my camera body.

This issue accured to me several times and i looked it up and an article bye rggedu wrote about it: when you press the knob to release your lens this happens, so try to hold your left hand not to close to your camera as you might accidently press that button.
Marco slaghuis

Sören Hese

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 08:32:38 »
Thxs all! yes I tested it without SDXC in slot - same problem and the lens release issue is important for smaller lensens imo. I am hand holding a 400mmf2.8  at the tripod foot (or a 70-200AFS) on a boat when this occurs. No way to have contact with the lens release. The lens release issue also only blocks AF but starting an exposure is still possible.  My problem is a full freeze of the body. The camera doesnt react at all: no exposure triggering & no AF. All I can do is wait for the camera to wake up again (1-3 seconds).
This week I received a D850 NPS loaner and did an event shooting with the 24-70 - same problem. By now I believe its my specific camera setup that does it. Will do more testing with the loaner at the next weekend again with XQD only and with SDXC-II only but right now I believe its a system setup bug. Resetting to system defaults and than slowly dialing in the own settings again one on one might be the right strategy.

Thxs again and I will update at the weekend how it went. Regards! Sören 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 11:08:40 »
The firmware for many Nikon cameras was updated earlier this month, and the latest firmware for D850 is ver. 1.02.  Nikon doesn't mention anything about the glitch discussed here, but chances could be that the problem is addressed "secretly"...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 14:07:22 »
For sure we don't know the extent of this issue at all, Nikon more or less always does solve these things silently,,,

My best guess after this issue popping up again is that it could be the D850 when certain specific lens samples are used where the software somehow is running into trouble, since it is the user seeing problems with apparently all D850 but with the same lenses. Yes could be mixed with an unfortunate set of user settings,,,

Hope they find a solution quickly.
Erik Lund

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 14:35:22 »
Sounds like an untrapped error which is timing out.

If the recovery time is identical each time I would bet on that being the cause.

In motoring terms it's a bit like turning up a dead end road with no turning area!
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Luke Miller

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Luke Miller - Photographer
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 16:17:58 »
Sounds like an untrapped error which is timing out.

If the recovery time is identical each time I would bet on that being the cause.

I agree with that assessment.  I'm one of the lucky few with the same issue. I returned my first D850 due to this issue and its replacement has the same problem. Sören Hese and I have been sharing camera settings, but we have few in common and use very different AF settings.  The freeze can occur with any of the lenses I mount (AF-S f1.8 primes and AF-S f2.8 zooms.)  When it occurs I've seem both focus confirmation arrows flashing (but not the dot).  Even if I remove my finger from the shutter release the shutter will release after the freeze concludes.  When it releases it sounds as though the shutter has been set to Quiet Mode.  The firmware update to 1.02 made no difference.

Occurrence is random, but it happens to me at least once per 100 images taken.  Now that I am no longer doing paid work I can afford the occasional missed shot, so I am not hesitant to shoot with the D850.  But I would not use it for weddings.  The over whelming majority of D850 users do not have this problem, but those who do seem to experience it with every D850 they try.  This suggests to me a common factor among those users, but what?