Author Topic: Nikon's patent for mirrorless mount  (Read 2971 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Nikon's patent for mirrorless mount
« on: June 12, 2018, 04:01:03 »
The link is for the blog that is one of the important sources of Nikon Rumors website:

http://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2018-06-08

You can click the diagram to enlarge.

There are three contacts in the mount.  Provided that the mount itself functions as common (earth), one could be for the power, and the other two for the serial data transmission?  The large contacts look sturdier and more reliable, too.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon's patent for mirrorless mount
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 04:45:55 »
The link is for the blog that is one of the important sources of Nikon Rumors website:

http://hi-lows-note.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2018-06-08

You can click the diagram to enlarge.

There are three contacts in the mount.  Provided that the mount itself functions as common (earth), one could be for the power, and the other two for the serial data transmission?  The large contacts look sturdier and more reliable, too.

"An arrangement of electrical contacts (102 at body and 202 at lens) looks like F-mount system."
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 06:59:29 »
"An arrangement of electrical contacts (102 at body and 202 at lens) looks like F-mount system."

Yes, the "arrangement" of them is the same as that of F-mount.  But apparently there are only three contacts as opposed to eight of the current F-mount.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 08:49:10 »
Could be a communication protocol change. From parallel to serial. The future adapter(s) for current F-mount Nikkors  might provide the 'translation'.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 09:19:51 »
Could be a communication protocol change. From parallel to serial. The future adapter(s) for current F-mount Nikkors  might provide the 'translation'.

The whole IT industry made the transition when I was testing motherboards in the c't computer magazine long ago.

P ATA ... S ATA
ISA ... PCI ... PCI-E

later CF ... XQD
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 09:22:28 »
Yes, the "arrangement" of them is the same as that of F-mount.  But apparently there are only three contacts as opposed to eight of the current F-mount.

how does the contact block of a nikon 1 look like? similar but smaller?

no. old: https://goo.gl/images/rH6sHM

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:25:40 »
The contacts for the 1 camera/lenses are entirely different from the "F" type. Counted 12 on my 18,5/1.8.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 09:43:53 »
Interesting ;)

On page 3 of the new Patent Application there are shown 8 connections in the interface,,,

For the Nikon 1 there was shown and mentioned 12 connections, same as noted by Birna.
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:52 »
Here are the Nikon 1 and the new Nikon 2 connections,,,

Fig 7 from the Nikon 1 patent shoving the same stylistic 3 contacts, the FT-1 set up, so clearly just a sketch.

Text reads:
FIG. 7 is a perspective of a camera system used in injunction with exchangeable lenses, which includes a middle adapter, achieved in another embodiment of the present invention.
Erik Lund

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 03:51:31 »

#2 drawing does not seem complete. There is no power and ground. The lower part of #2 looks very much like an SPI serial communication.
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 04:18:36 »
Erik, thank you for the additional diagrams.

The last one suggests the patent I linked looks like a variation of the drawing #3 you post: the lens mount part of the adapter is built into the camera body.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 05:31:37 »
I just hope that the shape of the body doesnt look like an ice shaver just like in the drawing  :o :o :o

off with the grip!  >:(

this may not be so relevant to me since I intend to use manual only lenses with that camera but its nice since I will want to use it at times with AF lenses  ::)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 10:40:13 »
Serial communications and just power, gound, and signal connections on the mount seems like a long overdue rationalisation. 

It will be interesting to see if they have multiple pins for each of the three connections on the mount (a la SATA practice).  Also interesting that there is just one signal connection - implies that it is to be bi-directional.
Hugh Gunn