Author Topic: squeaky zoom on 24-85mm VR  (Read 4712 times)

Chulster

• NG Member
  • I AM Chulster
squeaky zoom on 24-85mm VR
« on: June 10, 2018, 21:51:07 »
Hi,

I just acquired a second-hand 24-85/3.5-4.5G VR with a stiff and sometimes squeaky zoom action. It's particularly bad between 24mm and 35mm.

Anybody else have a similarly afflicted copy? Anybody know how to self-service it?

Thanks.

ianwatson

Re: squeaky zoom on 24-85mm VR
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 16:48:18 »
Mine is a bit stiff but not in a troubling way. It simply doesn't enjoy the same mechanical finesse as on old f/2.8 zoom that I used to own. There is no squeak, though. Are you able to handle a new one to compare?

My rule of thumb for servicing lenses is: if you have to ask how then don't try it  :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 18:23:16 »
It has probably been dropped and needs service,,, not a DIY project that is easy,,, sorry
Erik Lund

Chulster

• NG Member
  • I AM Chulster
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 18:38:11 »
Apologies for never having responded to these fine replies until now. Gmail was routing reply notifications to the spam folder.

In the end, I returned the lens and purchased another that had smooth zoom action. But I grew dissatisfied with its optical performance and wound up selling it on.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 19:35:36 »
In the end, I returned the lens and purchased another that had smooth zoom action. But I grew dissatisfied with its optical performance and wound up selling it on.

Two questions :

# Were you dissatisfied with the optical performance of the first one ?

# And which body did you use ?

Just to know, as I bought the same recently (second hand) and I am very happy whit it (used on both DF and Z6). :)
Francis Devrainne

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 22:49:27 »
Sorry for the squeaky first lens ! I have/had one (given to my daughter with the D3x after her D700 was stolen with a batch of lenses) that works fairly well... I tend to regret it, having now a 24-120mm f/4 VR. It's more about the relative weight and length then about the optical qualities !
I might get myself another in june at the Bière Photo fair, as it works well with the Df (size and weight).
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Chulster

• NG Member
  • I AM Chulster
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 23:01:00 »
Two questions :

# Were you dissatisfied with the optical performance of the first one ?

# And which body did you use ?

Just to know, as I bought the same recently (second hand) and I am very happy whit it (used on both DF and Z6). :)

Frankly, I don't remember how the first copy performed optically. I think I was so turned off by the squeaky zoom that I didn't use the lens much at all. But neither do I remember thinking that the second copy was meaningfully worse than the first.

I used the lens on my D810. It was not egregiously bad, but it suffered in comparison with the 24-120mm f/4 that I had used before. It would have been fine on a 16 or 24 MP sensor.

Chulster

• NG Member
  • I AM Chulster
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 23:30:16 »
Sorry for the squeaky first lens ! I have/had one (given to my daughter with the D3x after her D700 was stolen with a batch of lenses) that works fairly well... I tend to regret it, having now a 24-120mm f/4 VR. It's more about the relative weight and length then about the optical qualities !
I might get myself another in june at the Bière Photo fair, as it works well with the Df (size and weight).

The 24-120mm f/4 crosses an IQ threshold for me, that the 24-85mm VR does not. (But it must be said that this opinion is only tendered on the basis of using the lenses on a 36 MP sensor, which is the only way I have used them.)

It's not that the 24-120 is twice as good, or even 50% better. But it manages to sneak into an IQ range that I find "good enough" on the D810 sensor. In my recollection, the smaller lens was just a little too unsharp at every focal length, wide open.

I do envy the 24-85's small size and light weight. In fact, ever since selling the 2nd copy, I've been on a quest to find a normal zoom that is as small and light, but optically just a little bit better—without being more expensive! A tall order. But since I prefer the 28mm focal length to 24mm anyway, there were several lenses that start at 28mm that I could try, and did. The closest alternative, the 24-85mm f/2.8-4, is one that I did not try. I just could not bring myself to buy one, having convinced myself that it would disappoint me. Lately I did find a lens that I liked in this range: the 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Ai-S.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 23:42:41 »
Well, mine was as "good enough" as the 24-120... ;)

Df and 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 at 85mm f/5.6
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 08:29:34 »
I'm perfectly happy with this lens.  Hereunder a link to a full resolution picture taken with this lens on a D850:

https://mfloyd.prodibi.com/a/2x9y7yxg9w89r8/i/lvvqd0d5rx1go46
click to open; further click to enlarge up to 100%
little distortion; fine details in the edges
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 10:16:40 »
I'm perfectly happy with this lens.  Hereunder a link to a full resolution picture taken with this lens on a D850:

From 16Mp to 40+Mp, I guess it depends on whether we get a "good one" or not  :o  But I didn't think this little zoom would "hold" with the D850 ! Nice shot  8)

Chulster

• NG Member
  • I AM Chulster
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 10:29:16 »

https://mfloyd.prodibi.com/a/2x9y7yxg9w89r8/i/lvvqd0d5rx1go46
click to open; further click to enlarge up to 100%

Was that shot wide open? Every lens looks good at f/8, and the model under discussion looks good at f/5.6. I do see some jitteriness at the very edges of the group of people in the photo. Not that I'd complain about that! What I don't love is when a modern lens like the 24-85mm VR isn't sharp wide open. I have a cheap-as-chips AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, which when used in DX mode on my camera outperforms the 24-85mm.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 14:14:10 »
This one is at the max f stop... f/4.5 for 85mm

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 14:17:31 »
As this one, if the portrait might be too near, a "landscape" variant on the Df at f/4.5 at 85mm...

Seems "good enough" at least for me  ;)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 15:06:21 »
Was that shot wide open? Every lens looks good at f/8, and the model under discussion looks good at f/5.6. I do see some jitteriness at the very edges of the group of people in the photo. Not that I'd complain about that! What I don't love is when a modern lens like the 24-85mm VR isn't sharp wide open. I have a cheap-as-chips AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, which when used in DX mode on my camera outperforms the 24-85mm.

Sure. I can show you many pictures with this lens which are of excellent quality. It also depends what you are photographing: in most cases, from 50mm and downwards, I favor a comfortable DOF. So, maximum opening is rarely the case. In fact, I need this lens from 35mm to 70mm. For the time being, investing €2’000
In a 24-70mm is not my first choice.

And the statement “at f/8 all lenses are good”: not sure.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν