Author Topic: Recent B+W in Australia  (Read 1574 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Recent B+W in Australia
« on: May 28, 2018, 14:50:33 »
Been in a photo slump recently mainly because of work commitments and no time. Taken from recent trip to Adelaide Df with AF-S 28mm 1.8G

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: Recent B+W in Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 16:34:15 »
Nice moody shots, specially #2 and 3... :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 17:08:00 »
HI, I really like the second image but will have to view on large screen to see what is going on with the Pavement in front of her :)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 18:43:23 »
Welcom back, JJ!  I like the somewhat surreal atmosphere of #3!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 17:19:27 »
Thanks everyone - always encouraging here.

I found out that photography is so much a part of my travel but that travel is a part of my photography too
As I have been busy and not traveling much, I haven’t had the desire to take photos as my day to day is so mundane. How does one try to see the world differently, or change the purpose of their photography and art?

JJ

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 18:33:15 »
#2 people on smoke breaks make easy targets for interesting street photos, and if they also have a mobile then you can mount a production around them , take the photos, remove the production and they will be oblivious to their surroundings

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 18:34:14 »

I haven’t had the desire to take photos as my day to day is so mundane. How does one try to see the world differently, or change the purpose of their photography and art?

JJ
I struggle with the same
Armando Morales

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 19:14:28 »
I struggle with the same

Interesting ! As I grow older and miserable (hip replacement, hint of a brain stroke, etc...), I am much less adventurous then some years before. Still, I force myself to shoot in my very near surroundings, streets or people or café or whatever detail I can find in my everyday moves to work and back. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes I'm deceived.

But sometimes, the light, the detail, the overall mood makes me select a picture that I wouldn't have gone for, before, feeling it was not "worthy" (of what ?) or "good enough" ! Looking again, I see some new " values" I wouldn't have thought of before, thus feeling that maybe I can still be progressing in my vision of things, even in a very mundane environment. Some sort of new simplicity as if I had acquired some Zen training while sleeping  :D

Each time I have that sort of boredom and lack of desire, I just force myself, grab the camera I have and stop daydreaming about the latest top level one or the famed latest super lens, and just get out with what I have handy (meaning the DF and a 50mm or 85mm lens). I grumble all along thinking I should have taken my motorbike and reached a new spot, far away in my very own "terra incognita", that I've already taken two thousand shots in this street, and so on...
But back at the electronic dark room, I can still find some pearls (at least for me), some framing, some lighting that I never tried, thus boosting back the desire... :D
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

BEZ

• NG Member
  • RC51
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 19:50:36 »
Interesting ! As I grow older and miserable (hip replacement, hint of a brain stroke, etc...), I am much less adventurous then some years before. Still, I force myself to shoot in my very near surroundings, streets or people or café or whatever detail I can find in my everyday moves to work and back. Sometimes I'm lucky, sometimes I'm deceived.

But sometimes, the light, the detail, the overall mood makes me select a picture that I wouldn't have gone for, before, feeling it was not "worthy" (of what ?) or "good enough" ! Looking again, I see some new " values" I wouldn't have thought of before, thus feeling that maybe I can still be progressing in my vision of things, even in a very mundane environment. Some sort of new simplicity as if I had acquired some Zen training while sleeping  :D

Each time I have that sort of boredom and lack of desire, I just force myself, grab the camera I have and stop daydreaming about the latest top level one or the famed latest super lens, and just get out with what I have handy (meaning the DF and a 50mm or 85mm lens). I grumble all along thinking I should have taken my motorbike and reached a new spot, far away in my very own "terra incognita", that I've already taken two thousand shots in this street, and so on...
But back at the electronic dark room, I can still find some pearls (at least for me), some framing, some lighting that I never tried, thus boosting back the desire... :D

Sage words of wisdom  .....I am currently away from a big City, and find it hard to adapt my photographic vision.
Bez

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 21:01:04 »

Thanks for the encouraging words
Armando Morales

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 23:01:42 »
Henri Cartier-Bresson lived in Paris, shot in Paris and made amazing images, even from his apartment.  We are not HCB but should be able to be inspired by that.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira