Author Topic: [project] transforming a small ecosystem  (Read 2589 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: [project] transforming a small ecosystem
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2019, 09:01:25 »
Precisely identifying a bee, fly, hover fly, etc ... is not easy.  The key below (sorry, in French) is a simplified one :) https://typo3.natagora.be/fileadmin/Interreg/Sapoll/pdf/cles_des_genres_SAPOLL_v7.1.pdf

Personally, Iím happy with a broad category and the identification of a few easy to recognize like Bombylius major that you have: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombylius_major

BTW, Iím sure you thought about it already but setting up a few hollow tubes of varying diameters would provide a nesting place for solitary bees.

Youre project is evolving very nicely.

A bee hotel? I created a natural fence that consits of sticks and straws and hollow blades and provides plenty of nesting opportunities...  I will post a picture soon
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Bristol, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2019, 12:08:43 »
I'm just catching up on these Frank.
What a lovely collection - there's a great sense of "life" about them, over and above pure etymological capture.

The furry hoverfly-type ones have loads of character don't they?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2019, 14:00:53 »
I'm just catching up on these Frank.
What a lovely collection - there's a great sense of "life" about them, over and above pure etymological capture.

The furry hoverfly-type ones have loads of character don't they?

these are real assholes with their life style. The Bombylius major shoot their eggs near the nests of solitary bees. Their offspring then eat up the food stored by the bee and later eat their larvae alive.

Also fascinating: they can fly like Hummingbirds and some species can suck the nectare without touching the plant with their landing gear. I got three species of bee flies here, but did not manage to picture them all...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2019, 20:53:46 »
I am not impressed with the Canon 500D Diopter...

... it reduces the resolution of the 300PF very much

...glassless extension or teleconverter are the way to go: very flexible & high resolution

This batch is Canon 500 Diopter Nikon D500 Nikkor 300PF

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2019, 20:57:10 »
some nice extended shots: