Images > Nature, Flora, Fauna & Landscapes

[project] transforming a small ecosystem

(1/25) > >>

Frank Fremerey:
Hi, fellow gardeners and photographers!

Today I aquired a little project of roughly 3 meter * 10 meter size.

It is a little ecosystem now, but not the way it will be accepted by our landlord.

What I plan to do now is to change this little ecosystem within a few years into something that will regulate itself over time and will please out tennets and the bypassers eyes plus be accepted by the landlord.

My first idea was to use the existing green fleshy/leafy plants (pictures) as indicators for nutrients and water / sun exposition and exchange them with compatible flowering plants plus some small fruiting trees or bushes in the sense of an edible garden / edible city.

Here is the current state of the 30 squaremeters with some pictures of "indicator" plants.

Please help me identify the existing plants and tell me:

* Which nutrients, water & sun exposition do these indicate?
* Do you think it is a good idea to plant small fruiting trees or bushes here?
* Which flowering plants could serve as a replacement for the existing green leafy & fleshy plants?
* How do I preserve the nutrients that are stored in the existing plants?
Pictures:
1) the lot
2 & 3)  a tad on the chaotoic side currently
4 & 5) very nice high grass
6 - 9) lots of selfseeding fleshy/leafy green

Seapy:
Frank, not a direct answer to your request but one of the most important factors is what the compass orientation of the plot?  It appears not to be Northerly...

Frank Fremerey:

--- Quote from: Seapy on May 27, 2018, 15:28:01 ---Frank, not a direct answer to your request but one of the most important factors is what the compass orientation of the plot?  It appears not to be Northerly...

--- End quote ---

It has a strong afternoon and evening sun exposition, here is the compass and a pic from above with roughly the same framing

Birna Rørslett:
I identified two grasses Festuca pratensis and Dactylis glomerata, a dock (Rumex sp.), the umbellifers Aegopodium podagraria and Heracleum sphondyllium, on a first browsing of your pictures. Aegopodium is good for salads, by the way.

Frank Fremerey:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on May 27, 2018, 17:53:56 ---I identified two grasses Festuca pratensis and Dactylis glomerata, a dock (Rumex sp.), the umbellifers Aegopodium podagraria and Heracleum sphondyllium, on a first browsing of your pictures. Aegopodium is good for salads, by the way.

--- End quote ---

thank you, Birna. "Giersch" is the edible one with the white flowers looking similar to fennel plants in my eyes. Thank you. Gosh the other one you identified looks similar to my eyes but is said to cause skin irritation and seems not to be edible. "Wiesen-Bärenklau"

There is a lot of traffic on the road passing by so I am not so sure if poison from the exhaust fumes will accumulate inside the plants.

is there a DIY plant identification website or youtube channel? I like to learn a lot more...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version