Author Topic: Aaron in Parkdale-1  (Read 926 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Aaron in Parkdale-1
« on: May 25, 2018, 15:48:10 »
Taken yesterday evening on Queen Street West in Parkdale, a neighbourhood of Toronto that while run down and home to many street people, is slowly being gentrified. As such it is a curious, mixed demographic of old and new, rich and poor that never fails to surprise.
While waiting for a photo group I was to lead to show up, I noticed a curiously dressed street person at an intersection who would run along a lane of cars waiting to make a right turn, knocking on each drivers' window, asking for change. When the cars began to turn he'd run along the sidewalk back to the corner and wait for the light to turn red, whereupon he'd run out to the first car in line and begin his efforts again.
After watching him for a few minutes he stopped to have a cigarette and I approached him, introduced myself and engaged him in conversation for a few minutes. I then asked for permission to take an informal portrait, which he was kind enough to grant and I took this shot.
Nikon D3
zoom-Nikkor 24~70 2.8 AF G ED
5.6 @ 1/640th, ISO 200
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Aaron in Parkdale-1
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 19:26:30 »
Lovely guy. And it appears you shoot film with a D3, quite an achievement !
Airy Magnien

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 19:35:43 »
Lovely guy. And it appears you shoot film with a D3, quite an achievement !

Thanks Airy.
I thought shooting with a Digital camera was going to be easier, but having to cut strips off a roll of film and stick them in the little slots, is really a pain in the ass.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

ianwatson

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 19:41:13 »
A classic Parkdale character. Nicely done, Robert.

Thanks Airy.
I thought shooting with a Digital camera was going to be easier, but having to cut strips off a roll of film and stick them in the little slots, is really a pain in the ass.

At least you can have duplicate slides quite easily.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 21:01:23 »
Thanks Ian.
I know you live reasonably close to me, so if you ever feel like meeting up and shooting together in downtown Toronto, PM me and we can make some arrangements to get out.
Robert

ianwatson

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 19:44:49 »
That's a lovely offer, Robert. I shall take you up on it.