Author Topic: Encroaching suburbia  (Read 1200 times)

ianwatson

Encroaching suburbia
« on: May 21, 2018, 21:27:26 »
One of the ironies of a growing population is that farmland is lost to housing.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Encroaching suburbia
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 00:54:26 »
The image is a beautiful landscape with pleasant lighting and is at the same time a thoughtful message.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

ianwatson

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 20:25:04 »
Thank you, Akira.

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 23:39:12 »
Who came first, the houses or the industry plant.
Or did someone decide to erect them simultaneously?

Powerful message, well done!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:16 »
The picture tells a story, without a doubt.  Fortunately, agriculture has become more efficient with rising yields per unit of land.  Had it not, we would be starving.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 15:13:33 »
The idiot politicians in Australia and New Zealand have allowed very significant percentages of land suitable for farming to be sold off to foreigners, with the food outputs from such land being directly exported and no longer ending up in the local food markets.  Both countries face a looming food security problem.  How dumb can these turkeys get!

The picture tells a story, without a doubt.  Fortunately, agriculture has become more efficient with rising yields per unit of land.  Had it not, we would be starving.
Hugh Gunn

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 18:21:39 »
"idiot politicians" is pretty typical.  Here they are approving a 900 home subdivision in the flood plain less than a year after 200,000 dwellings flooded from Hurricane Harvey.  Officials have admitted one of the key permits probably should not have been issued, but they are not trying to take it back.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 19:37:00 »
Who came first, the houses or the industry plant.
Or did someone decide to erect them simultaneously?

Powerful message, well done!

Jakov, I suspect something along the lines of the farmer sold his land to finance the industrial scale grain bins you see, together with buildings to process the produce to make the farming more productive and profitable. So one followed the other, I assume.

We see it here a lot, I live on an estuary which benefits from the Gulf stream, nice and temperate.  We get many retirees buying bungalows and flats hereabouts.  The land is barely suitable for intensive farming so the farmers see an opportunity to sell to developers which helps them diversify into other ways of using the land, like caravan sites etc.

The trouble is houses are a one-off crop.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

ianwatson

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 20:08:32 »
Jakov, I suspect something along the lines of the farmer sold his land to finance the industrial scale grain bins you see, together with buildings to process the produce to make the farming more productive and profitable. So one followed the other, I assume.

Those are indeed grain silos. They are older than those houses. There is a road separating the farm from the houses. I don't think that the farm extended beyond it and that the land was part of the town.

The farmhouse is behind the silos. I'd guess it dates to the late 19th or early 20th century. Rumour has it that the farm has already been sold to a developer, who will get around to building over it  :-\