Author Topic: 16mm 3.5 question  (Read 2385 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
16mm 3.5 question
« on: May 15, 2018, 23:45:10 »
My copy just arrived today in the mail. It looks in good condition with very clean glass, working filters, snappy aperture and first test at 3,5 sharp but focusing ring is very stiff when going from infinity to minimun and very loose the other way around. I hace contacted the seller (from Japan) just now. Any advise?
   Birna, do you hace any cpu left around?
    Erik, can the modification be made?

Thanks!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: 16mm 3.5 question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 00:01:34 »
The lens probably needs an internal cleaning and relubrication. Any qualified repair shop should be able to do this for you.

I might - just might - have the spare CPU & contact  block required. However, for the next two weeks I'm totally mired with the annual tax return paperwork.

Surely Erik can fix the lens and also mount the CPU (iff I find the parts). The 16/3.5 needs a steady hand on the Dremel :D

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 00:23:40 »
My copy just arrived today in the mail. It looks in good condition with very clean glass, working filters, snappy aperture and first test at 3,5 sharp but focusing ring is very stiff when going from infinity to minimun and very loose the other way around. I hace contacted the seller (from Japan) just now. Any advise?

Thanks!

That behavior is not typical. Mine is about the same both ways.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 04:55:33 »
Most samples of Nikon lenses of this vintage need lube service if they are still operating on the original grease.
If the grease has dried up, it needs to be re-lubed. 
Don't use the focusing a lot until it gets greased...excessive wear to the helicoid threads can result from dry operation.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 09:12:29 »

Thanks!
Paco that was fast delivery, congratulations with the new toy. ;)
I hope you will get it in good operational order soon.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:23:31 »
Sure It can be chipped, it requires a lot of material to be removed, however the inconsistent focus feel sounds not good.
Is it persistent this difference in resistance?
Erik Lund

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 14:37:34 »
Thanks.

Yes Erik, it is persistent as it doesn’t change after a few tours back and forth of the ring.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 14:46:06 »
That fish specimen urgently requires a CLA.

I'll look into the CPU issue once I have had my yearly struggle with the Tax Authorities. This year worse than ever as my recent gender change royally screwed up official registers :( and thus the linkage to earlier records is broken. Not my fault of course, I'm just collateral damage here.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 12:31:28 »
Thanks Birna. Yesterday I asked for a refund and the seller said yes. I’ll return it soon. Yesterday I took it for a spin and even with a weird focus ring, it was very sharp.

I’ll be in the market for a better copy soon

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 12:43:59 »
Better luck next time :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 13:15:06 »
Old lenses and old cars have something in common: sometimes they work, sometimes not.

Wish you the best of luck with a good copy.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:42:55 »

Thanks!
Here in the States I had my 16/3.5 worked on by APS and they did a fantastic job - dust removal and removing some kind of deposit off the inside surface of the rear element group(?).  Can you send it to them?
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 08:41:38 »
Here in the States I had my 16/3.5 worked on by APS and they did a fantastic job - dust removal and removing some kind of deposit off the inside surface of the rear element group(?).  Can you send it to them?
I had a less than satisfactory experience with APS on my 16/3.5. On the second try they fixed most of the things that were wrong with it. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA