Author Topic: reverse electroplating  (Read 3549 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: reverse electroplating
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 06:50:13 »
thanks everybody!

I may try and see if I can get phosphoric acid. phosphoric and citric acid works for electroless plating like the ones used for scale models but not for electrolysis plated metals  :o :o :o
This is the reason why Coke works because it has phosphoric and citric acid in it.

hydroflouric acid is a no-go. the fumes are hazardous. we used this at school several decades ago in experiments and I will not forget that thing.

yes, I heard acetone/ammonia can also work.

I need low dilutions of sulphuric acid so battery acid will probably work if I thin it with tap water. not worried about mineral stains since I will do a paint-over. wait, i have a gallon of distilled water at home for D-76!

Thanks everybody for the help! I just consolidated my reply into one single post.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: reverse electroplating
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 12:20:48 »
update: looks like I can get 10% sulfuric acid from Rakuten  :o :o :o

so that's one problem fixed, now all I am thinking is my family. the fumes emitted from the process of adding the acid to the water (never the other way around) isn't healthy. I guess 10% is more than enough for what I need and it will strip it in a matter of seconds. we only use very weak concentrations back home and we add dish washing liquid to prevent pitting of the brass.

I am seriously considering a weaker acid now. nevermind that it takes minutes so long as it's not as toxic.