Author Topic: Marumi /Nikon filters  (Read 1684 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Marumi /Nikon filters
« on: May 07, 2018, 17:27:34 »
I recently bought a lens from a supplier in Japan, and it came with a Marumi  MC UV filter to protect the front element from scratching, and it set me wondering: Is this brand as well thought of in Japan as Nikon filters, and is it in fact of similar quality? 

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Marumi /Nikon filters
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 17:41:57 »
Marumi is a well-regarded brand along with Kenko, and they offer high-end series called EXUS.

However, I read a comparison test of various filters recently, and the result told that the normal Nikon NC protection filter excelled EXUS and Kenko's high-end series called Zeta, in terms of the image quality.

In addition, if your Marumi filter is not of the EXUS line, it should be of the more ordinary, lower-end model.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it is bad, but not the best one.

As you would already know, any protection filter may affect the image quality, especially when the lens is focued at very distant objects.  A couple of years ago, I realized how noticeably a highest-end protection filter (EXUS in my case) can degrade the image quality of my AF-S 50mm/f1.8G.  Since then, I have stopped using a protection filter unless in the dusty or splashy conditions.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:16:26 »
Thank you for your informative answer, Akira.  Guess I will switch to the Nikon UV filter.Luckily, I bought a 62 mm Nikon  UV filter for the defective lens I had to replace. EXUS- I will remember this one for future reference.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:07:52 »
Thank you for your informative answer, Akira.  Guess I will switch to the Nikon UV filter.Luckily, I bought a 62 mm Nikon  UV filter for the defective lens I had to replace. EXUS- I will remember this one for future reference.

Am glad to be of any help, Kenneth!

EXUS may degrade the image quality of the distant subjects, but its antifouling coating makes it very easy to clean.  So, it should be good as the protection against splash or dust.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

chambeshi

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:05:11 »
In 2016, based on +ve reviews in N-Photo magazine, and elsewhere, I standardized on Marumi - the EXUS and DHG Protect versions. No complaints, and I cannot detect any differences between older top quality Nikon NC and L37c and Hoya UV.
Microglobe is a good source for Marumi in London - near the British Museum

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:01:56 »
Marumi is known to have great dirt and water resistant coatings. they are very good and reasonably priced  :o :o :o